What's new

Any DE razor better then Feather AS-D2?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Let me introduce "as-d2 oc", which is mixed with the base plate of new sc.
I dare not say better, but there may be more fun.
163860057_3914699361902271_898404384306628790_n.jpg

Although I already have other more brilliant razors (at least the price), as-d2 still maintains her elegance and confidence and continues to rotate.
She has always been her, unique and cannot be replaced.

I use a few razors in rotation, and while I like them all, the AS-D2 is my favorite. The other two that I use regularly are a Wolfman WR2 .95 and a Timeless .68 SB. All three are beautifully made.

Feather AS-D2
Nimble, forgiving, & minimal blade feel. Plenty efficient for me. For me, this one just feels the most natural to use.

Wolfman WR2 .95
Minimal blade feel and almost as forgiving as the AS-D2. More efficient than the Timeless and AS-D2. I like this almost as much as the AS-D2, but it is a very different experience (much heavier & very steep angle for best results).

Timeless .68 SB
This is the smoothest razor I've ever used. More blade feel and not quite as forgiving as the Wolfman and AS-D2, but still pretty full proof and easy to use. More efficient than the AS-D2. At least in the SB format, it tends to take away all the lather after one pass, so it will drag due to no residual lather if you want to go over an area a second time without reapplying more lather. This is still a great razor that I enjoy using, but I do like the other two more.
Since the ASD2 is efficient for you (for me too), would you have preferred that WR2 be 1.05 instead of .95?

Since the ASD2 is efficient for you (for me too), would you have preferred that WR2 be 1.05 instead of .95?

I've been totally satisfied with the .95 gap, so the pull to try a 1.05 gap has not been very strong. My name had come up again on the Wolfman waiting list and I had thought about ordering a 1.05, but ended up deciding that I didn't want to go down the path of chasing what would most likely be a pretty minimal difference, especially since I was already so happy with the .95 .

There's another member on B&B that seems to have pretty similar tastes in razors to me who has used both the .95 and 1.05 gaps. He prefers the .95 for the slightly more comfortable shave, so he had some influence on me choosing the .95 gap.

Love my Feather AS-D2 and can't say that I can offer you anything better per se, but I do have two razors that I include regularly in my rotation. The first is the Rockwell 6S on plate 4. It has a great reputation and following and obviously provides a fine shave. The second one is a little more difficult to explain, but I actually like it better than the Rockwell and equal to my Feather. It is the Occam's Stainless Steel DE Safety Razor with the Closed Comb Scalloped head that I purchased almost two years ago. I am not sure that it is available anymore from the sole source, Classic Shaving; however, if it were available, I would buy a second one. You can check out its reviews on this site and if so inclined, could seek one out from the secondary market. A really great shave. Good luck.

I've been totally satisfied with the .95 gap, so the pull to try a 1.05 gap has not been very strong. My name had come up again on the Wolfman waiting list and I had thought about ordering a 1.05, but ended up deciding that I didn't want to go down the path of chasing what would most likely be a pretty minimal difference, especially since I was already so happy with the .95 .

There's another member on B&B that seems to have pretty similar tastes in razors to me who has used both the .95 and 1.05 gaps. He prefers the .95 for the slightly more comfortable shave, so he had some influence on me choosing the .95 gap.
Thanks for the feedback. I am on Wolfman waiting list and hope my turn will come in a months time. I am going for a WR2 dual comb, one is 1.25 for sure and the other is 1.05 (appreciate Hanna's Dad and never-stop-learning feedback). As per Wolfman's website, Mr. James will be offering new designs :) so will see how it goes.
I also have ATT Windsor with M,R,H plates and the Windsor Pro which I find to be excellent razors. Feather ASD2 efficiency is as efficient as ATT R plate for me when paired with Feather blades. Want to get the Wolfman so as to have a satisfying rotation of daily shaves, and hope that would be it.

It sounds like you're happy with the AS-D2, but looking for something different. Why get another mild razor? Maybe try a Blackland Blackbird or Muhle R41GS for something more aggressive and efficient with much more blade feel.

Love my Feather AS-D2 and can't say that I can offer you anything better per se, but I do have two razors that I include regularly in my rotation. The first is the Rockwell 6S on plate 4. It has a great reputation and following and obviously provides a fine shave. The second one is a little more difficult to explain, but I actually like it better than the Rockwell and equal to my Feather. It is the Occam's Stainless Steel DE Safety Razor with the Closed Comb Scalloped head that I purchased almost two years ago. I am not sure that it is available anymore from the sole source, Classic Shaving; however, if it were available, I would buy a second one. You can check out its reviews on this site and if so inclined, could seek one out from the secondary market. A really great shave. Good luck.
Yes, the Rockwell 6S or 6C (which i have) on plate 4 is both smooth and efficient. An excellent choice and u can go for a 3 or 5 plate to see what u like most. These razors work for most people due to the 6 possible settings. I never tried plate 1 and 2 because the 3 is already mild enough for me. With a sharp blade, the plate 4 is the best for me.

ASD2 is an amazing razor. Any tech would be its rival.
To me the primary difference is the weight of a tech doesn't compare, so a different shave.
Two recommendations:
Flat bottom Tech (heavier than a typical tech)
No. 58 British aristocrat...just saw one on the shavenook bst for $70 a few minutes ago, shocked its not gone already.

ASD2 is an amazing razor. Any tech would be its rival.
To me the primary difference is the weight of a tech doesn't compare, so a different shave.
Two recommendations:
Flat bottom Tech (heavier than a typical tech)
No. 58 British aristocrat...just saw one on the shavenook bst for $70 a few minutes ago, shocked its not gone already.
Agree Old School - ASD2 is terrific, but prefer my EFB, and Canadian pre war techs. I use a Rasorock Bulldog handle to achieve the weight and balance that I like

Top Bottom