What's new

Any DE razor better then Feather AS-D2?

Ever since I got the Feather AS-D2 I have pretty much stopped using my other DE razors, I would like to try something new if anyone could recommend something they think is better then the feather for smoothness and efficiency? Thanks

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Ever since I got the Feather AS-D2 I have pretty much stopped using my other DE razors, I would like to try something new if anyone could recommend something they think is better then the feather for smoothness and efficiency? Thanks

What razors have you already tried?

In answer to your title question: perhaps. The Henson AL13 is an outstanding razor in a similar vein; super gentle on the face, yet amazingly efficient. The precision of the workmanship and tolerances are at least the equal of the AS-D2, if not better. Also, it is only $70, but it is aluminum. If you want to go all the way, there is a titanium version (though currently sold out) for $250.

Another contender for top honors in the "mild-but-efficient" category is the Timeless .68 solid bar, either stainless or titanium. Exceptionally smooth and comfortable, awesome blade clamping, and fantastic build quality. The Timeless is a full-on premium US made razor, and priced accordingly, but well worth the money IMO.

The answer also depends upon the hardness of your water and the coarseness of your whiskers, among other variables.

The answer to your question is not "one size fits all."
This.

I've never tried a Feather, I suspect if I did, it would be overkill for me and end up being a "bad" razor. I get great shaves with a Lord L5 and my Fendrihan Kingston razor (albeit on a WCS 79BR handle). I have no need nor any desire to try a more aggressive razor, as doing so will likely lead to diminishing returns and/or more irritation. For me, these two razors (along with some of my others) are perfectly good enough, if not "the best."

Of course, as with pretty much everything shaving related, YMMV.

I have read the Gillette Techs are the original design which was the basis for the AS-D2. I have both and they are both mild razors. If you have the time and interest there are many discussions on the Techs on this forum. Personally both razors don’t work for me, too mild. But if one works for you the other might also. Plus Techs are not very expensive and there are many slightly different versions to explore. Good luck.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I had an AS-D2, and it was very close to perfect for me, but getting an Above the Tie Windsor was completely "it." It provided the same comfort and closeness with less work. The Feather demanded nonstop attention to a very narrow window of workable angles. The Windsor also does so without needing a Feather blade the way the AS-D2 does. I am using Gillette Silver Blues in it.

Although I've not tried the feather look into the Tatara Masamune. Smooth, efficient and not overly aggressive.

This is a great choice. Super smooth and efficient with the option to get other baseplates and top cap to tailor your shaving preference. The Henson Ti22 would also be a great choice. Th new ATT Windsor SSMR would be another nice suggestion.

The AS/D2 is an outstanding razor at the mild end of the scale!

My personal preference is more in the ‘mild/moderate’ range, so I ended up with a Wolfman WR1 which offers a bit more ‘blade feel’ and a wider range of blade options. My guess is that one of the smaller gap WR2 options might work well for you, but it might not be an upgrade. Just my $0.02!

If the ASD2 is based on a Tech, surely the answer is "the best Tech"?

20210811_204149.jpg

I use a few razors in rotation, and while I like them all, the AS-D2 is my favorite. The other two that I use regularly are a Wolfman WR2 .95 and a Timeless .68 SB. All three are beautifully made.

Feather AS-D2
Nimble, forgiving, & minimal blade feel. Plenty efficient for me. For me, this one just feels the most natural to use.

Wolfman WR2 .95
Minimal blade feel and almost as forgiving as the AS-D2. More efficient than the Timeless and AS-D2. I like this almost as much as the AS-D2, but it is a very different experience (much heavier & very steep angle for best results).

Timeless .68 SB
This is the smoothest razor I've ever used. More blade feel and not quite as forgiving as the Wolfman and AS-D2, but still pretty full proof and easy to use. More efficient than the AS-D2. At least in the SB format, it tends to take away all the lather after one pass, so it will drag due to no residual lather if you want to go over an area a second time without reapplying more lather. This is still a great razor that I enjoy using, but I do like the other two more.

The AS-D2 is a favorite of mine. Try a Karve SB “B” plate, still mild, maybe a tad more efficient. I like the wide cap version in brass.

Top Bottom