What's new

Any curling fans here?

20+ days of curling on TV with the Scotties (Canadian women's championship), Olympics, and Briar (Canadian men's championship).

My daughters are groaning.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Women's Curling is fascinating to watch, though I'm not sure why. Can't pretend to understand the sport, it's just interesting.

AA

Women's Curling is fascinating to watch, though I'm not sure why. Can't pretend to understand the sport, it's just interesting.

AA

Not gonna lie - if I had to choose between the two I'd always pick women's over men's. Women's tend to have more stones in play and, well, there's a lot of very beautiful elite curlers 😉

Mixed doubles is fun too because it's so different from the 4 player version - though I'm still figuring out all the rules of that myself

I remember years ago hearing a golf tv commentator at a major tournament talking about what the greens were like. (They were very large and, apparently, very "fast".) He said it was like putting your ball down a marble staircase and getting it to stop on the second-last stair.

Some people might think that curling is just "bowling on ice". I tend to think of curling being like a version of bowling where, instead of having to knock down all the pins, you have to roll your ball down the lane and get it as close as possible to the pins and then stop without knocking over any pins. Whoever gets his ball closest without knocking over any pins, wins.
Curling reminds me of senior citizen shuffleboard.

Having grown up and living in MB Canada, curling is everywhere. We are the home of some Olympic teams and members.

I never got into it, but both our kids took it up in school and I enjoyed heading to the rink to watch and learn about it.

When I retire, I could see myself taking it up as a hobby for something to do with the other geezers.

And yes, women's curling over men's....same as tennis.

Indeed!

1675534546288.jpeg

Top Bottom