What's new

Any cure for a brush that sheds?

If you’ve had the brush for a while and it just started shedding, there is a good chance that there is soap buildup in the knot. You might want to try soaking the entire knot in a warm 10% vinegar solution for 10 minutes, agitating occasionally, to clean the knot.

Is it the same with all brushes with metal collars? Why does the collar prevent replacing the knot? I like the look of the metal collar.

Semogue uses the metal ring to help with the splay of the brush. The ring itself is tapered as well as is the brush handle. The only way to fix that is to put the handle in a lathe and resize the hole for the knot to what ever size you want. Unless you have the equipment or the knowledge of how to do that, it’s easier to just get a new Semogue brush. I can’t say that all metal ringed brushes are the same tho, I can only speak for the Semogue line from experience.

Larry

It's most likely approaching the end of its useful life. I'd clean it well and keep in the rotation for a bit longer. If it doesn't improve toss it out. If the handle is something special then send it to Rudy Vey for a re-knot.

In my view, anyone on this forum who wears a brush out deserves sincere congratulations! So many people who post here have many brushes and buy and sell regularly so no single brush gets used very much and for all practical purposes will never wear out.

Well, I took care of the problem with the help of the trash collection crew. I tried all the solutions suggested, and none worked in my case. Beautiful brush, gave me many wonderful shaves. I considered PIFFing it, but a brush that sheds is a curse on whoever receives it. So I bit my lower lip, closed my eyes, and dropped it in the trash.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Are brushes less hardy than there older counterparts? My Grandfather and some others of his generation would simply throw his brush in the sink full of hot water or the enamel bowl he used to shave and was pretty rough with his brush. Yet in all the years I watched him shave he only had one brush and two razors.

I asked him about submerging the brush in the sink or bowl. He told me that in the trenches in WW1 they would fill their tin helmet with water to shave and would put their brush into the helmet. I guess going through tough financial times and the depression meant that unlike me extra shaving brushes and razors were an unaffordable luxury.

And now it is getting worse, 20+ hairs per shave.
I spend a year finding all the stuff I enjoy and creating a perfect setup,
last bunch of shaves I did not enjoy at all, this is so sad.

I want my old chubby 1 back, wish I never tried the cleaning tutorial here.

Overdosed on vinegar? How much vinegar did you use? How long did you soak the brush in that vinegar mix? You didn't reply to the suggestion of having possibly used too hot water, which @Lefonque mentioned above.
If there's still vinegar in the knot (due to not having rinsed sufficiently), I would soak the whole brush (as to include the knot) in pure and warm (not hot) water for 20 minutes or so and then rinse thoroughly under the tap. And probably repeat, you want to have the remaining vinegar gone. Finally you can use a soft shampoo and rinse-clean again. Shampoo will do no harm. Then let it rest and dry completely.

Last edited:
Overdosed on vinegar? How much vinegar did you use? How long did you soak the brush in that vinegar mix? You didn't reply to the suggestion of having possibly used too hot water, which @Lefonque mentioned above.
If there's still vinegar in the knot (due to not having rinsed sufficiently), I would soak the whole brush (as to include the knot) in pure and warm (not hot) water for 20 minutes or so and then rinse thoroughly under the tap. And probably repeat, you want to have the remaining vinegar gone. Finally you can use a soft shampoo and rinse-clean again. Shampoo will do no harm. Then let it rest and dry completely.

Did not use hot water.
Maybe the vinegar was too highly dosed.
Thanks for the suggestion, gonna try that now.

Did not use hot water.
Maybe the vinegar was too highly dosed.
Thanks for the suggestion, gonna try that now.

Best of luck! 🌞

But please don't expect that the shedding will stop directly , I assume there will be some still but getting less and less. However the cleaning will stop further deterioration. Good thing is that the Chubby is so densely packed, that some 50 lost hairs won't make a difference.

Its not vinegar, its not hot water, its not mashing!

It is badly glued! If brush shedds 10-20 bristles/hairs in shave, its simply bad quality. Nothing else. Nothing!!!
Some manufacturers glue them with empty space betwen knot and handle. that takes soap and water and ruins whole brush.

i got an advice, dont buy that brush anymore. Try some other, its not worth to buy bad quality!

Are brushes less hardy than there older counterparts?

I doubt it. I just think we focus on different things now and are more aware of certain details as it regards our more-indulgent-than-utilitarian approach. I'm sure if you'd asked your grandfather if his brush shed he would say that it had. But, as it was a simple shaving tool, he probably wouldn't have cared much and just continued to use it, and could have for many, many years with no issues other than having to rinse some hairs out of his sink and/or bowl. I'm sure he wasn't counting hairs lost. Hell, his having two razors could probably be seen as overkill for his day. ;)

Are brushes less hardy than there older counterparts? My Grandfather and some others of his generation would simply throw his brush in the sink full of hot water or the enamel bowl he used to shave and was pretty rough with his brush. Yet in all the years I watched him shave he only had one brush and two razors.

I asked him about submerging the brush in the sink or bowl. He told me that in the trenches in WW1 they would fill their tin helmet with water to shave and would put their brush into the helmet. I guess going through tough financial times and the depression meant that unlike me extra shaving brushes and razors were an unaffordable luxury.

Definately Yes! That was perfectyl glued! Same thing with cars. Look at Mercedes-benz how thos 1970s-90s benz still running 1miljon kilometers! Its quality. If you buy car this days, its probably 200thousond kilometers and engine is dead....
Just take a look old vintage brushes from auctions, you will find some old brushes still runing.

Top Bottom