What's new

Any cure for a brush that sheds?

I have a SOC that used to be fine, but now sheds 15 or 20 hairs in every shave. I like the brush, but this is getting annoying.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Sounds like its time for a new soc, fun! Now however if the handle/brush has sentimental value (gift from xyz) then you could either try and replace the knot yourself (there are articles here and google to help) or if you were doubtful of your skills, you could send it off to someone to do it for you, for example Larry at Wd.

If it has only just started shedding try washing the brush in some shampoo to give it a good clean, that way you remove all the soap scum left at the base of the knot that's causing the problem....

Might look at this from shavemac and be sure to check the accompanying video. Seems like a good way to determine if you're rinsing sufficiently after use. I like a borax soak (1 tbsp per cup of warm water for 10 minutes) and then clean up with palm lathering Dawn. Lots of different ways to attack the soap and/or hard water build up down deep in the knot which is most likely the problem.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a soc that I haven’t used in years. First use the other day and it shed maybe 4-5 hairs. Since then maybe one a shave. Then none. Then 1. Hopefully it’s over. But so strange I’ve never had this happen.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The only thing comes to mind is buy a new one, when the whiskers get brittle not sure what can be done. I had a boar brush many years ago before B&B even existed and did not have a clue on proper pre soaking of brush and abused that thing for a couple of years and when it decided to quite it just disintegrated quickly from what I recall. Another suggestion is go synthetic like I have, I have one boar brush that I only use on occasion. Synthetic seem to hold up well and are easy to maintain and do not need a pre soak.

I have a SOC that used to be fine, but now sheds 15 or 20 hairs in every shave. I like the brush, but this is getting annoying.

When my omega boar started shedding, I have it a couple of soaks in vinegar/water mix to remove the hard water deposits.

It actually worked and the brush stored shedding and still remains in my den years after that treatment!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am with @Ice-Man, I would give it a good spa and then see what happens. If it keeps shedding then you have a handle to look around for a knot for. Then you can join the fun in the Brush Restoration Forum.

If it really sheds it is time for new. If you love the handle reknot in whatever you like else replace.
Oh and even synthetics need some cleaning from time to time.

I tried the shampoo & vinegar method on a couple of Chubby 2s. Went from shedding one or two hairs a shave to 6-8. They are both retired right now. I now have the same issue with a Classic 2. It started shedding a hair or two each shave. Shampooing made no difference. It’s very possible I didn’t do it right. I was told by a Simpsons vendor that you cannot ever get the knot wet where it’s glued to the handle or you’ll ruin it 🤔🤔. I’ve since stopped shopping at his outlet as he was an arrogant ******* who couldn’t be bothered by my total lack of care for those expensive brushes! 😡

I cleaned my Chubby 1 for the first time with the Vinegar and dishsoap method from
here.
Now that perfectly fine brush before sheds like crazy, i wonder if I did something wrong.

Any way to save it? I really thought it would last for years, thats why I convinced myself to pay so much.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I cleaned my Chubby 1 for the first time with the Vinegar and dishsoap method from
here.
Now that perfectly fine brush before sheds like crazy, i wonder if I did something wrong.

Any way to save it? I really thought it would last for years, thats why I convinced myself to pay so much.
How old is the brush? This might help in tryimg to work out what may be happening with your brush.

I have a few Semogue brushes and they tend to shed in the beginning. After a while it slows down and they mellow out. The downside to Semogue brushes is that due to the metal collar the knots are not replaceable. They are cheap enough to buy a new on tho. I currently have a 620 that 5 years old and it’s in its way out. Whenever I use it the center of the knot opens and doesn’t lather well and the backbone had lost its spring too.

Larry

Top Bottom