What's new

Any comments on Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic for Newbie?

Hello all,

This happens to be my maiden post. I would like to have some comments from users of the Merkur 34C? What is it like? How do you find it? What blades and creams/soaps do you use with it?

Should I go for the golden version over the silver? I've seen someone post that the gold flakes off?

Many thanks everyone! I'm so excited about my first DE!!!! :001_tt1::001_tt1:

Welcome Aboard!! The Merkur 34C is an excellent razor, and is built well. It has good aggression and will be able to mow down any beard.

Many thanks, I'd love to know what blades and what soaps/creams people are using? Cheers everyone!

Welcome to B&B! I think the 34C is a great razor for the new wet shaver or a veteren. Because we all have differents beard and skin types I would suggest that you get a blade sampler to see what works best for you. Happy Shaving.

I have the 38C, which is a long-handled version of the 34C. Frankly, I would say it is OK, but not my favorite by a long shot. I would suggest a Muhle R89 or a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable. I have found that blades that work OK in the 38C seem better in the other razors I referred to.

However, if you are sold on the 34C, I would suggest the Red Pack Personna from Israel, or the Walmart Personna Platinum Chrome (not the super stainless). Others to try are Gillette 7 O'clock blue or black, and Polsilvers.

This happens to be my maiden post. I would like to have some comments from users of the Merkur 34C? What is it like? How do you find it? What blades and creams/soaps do you use with it?
Keep in mind: YMMV. What works best for you may not be the same for others. The 34C is certainly a good DE but whether it's best for you is up to you to determine. Without any experience or feedback from you it's impossible to give you any meaningful recommendations. I started with the 38C but prefer the EJ DE89L. Again, YMMV. You have to try and see what works best for you. Don't fixate on finding the perfect stuff at this point. You just want to get your feet wet and test the waters. If something doesn't work out for you there's always the Buy Sell Trade subforum.

Last edited:
Many thanks, I'd love to know what blades and what soaps/creams people are using? Cheers everyone!

I'm using Cella Italian Soft Soap, with Israli Personna's and that works well for me but might not for you.

I'd 100% Reccomend the 34C HD and i'd also recomend picking up some Cella Soft Soap!

As allways, YMMV

The Merkur HD is an excellent razor, it's what I started with and I still rate it highly. To be honest the only reason I moved on was because I wanted a stainless steel razor, so I chose the Weber because it's very similar to the HD. I'm using TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) and Proraso cream, both of which give me excellent results and are easy to lather. On the soap side I'm using D R Harris and Queen Charlotte, again both excellent products.

As for blades, I've tried and disliked Merkur and Derby Extra, tried and quite liked Astra SP and Feathers, and really like Personna med preps. Blades more than anything else are a YMMV thing, so you really are best trying a few to decide what suits you.

Another +1 on Astra SP's! I've tried a bunch of different blades, and as described above, everyone will have a different opinion, but I prefer the Astras even above Feathers and other high quality blades.

As for soaps, I am a huge lover of Mike's and Mama Bears. If you want to go with a more mass produced soap than MWF or Arko are great, or even Proraso.

I just started using a DE a few weeks ago and the 34C is the first one I picked up. The weight is nice. The short length took a couple days to get used to (I was using a standard fusion handle). Got OK shaves w/ the Merkur blades it came with. Tried a pack of Gillettes. Platinum, I think. (Got it at AOS for $6.) Much nicer shave. Two days in a row, my 5 o'clock shadow is barely noticeable. I'd definitely recommend the 34C and a blade assortment.

I'm using AOS pre-shave oil, cream, and AS balm. I've learned to put the oil on as soon as I get out of the shower and let it sit a little bit before adding more water and lather. The AOS cream is nice, but I was skimping on the water at first and by the time I finished my first cheek, the second one would have dry lather. I added a lot more water (tablespoon or two) when lathering and it's made a huge difference.

Started out face lathering. (Salesman's suggestion.) Worked OK. Hand was better but now I'm using a small stainless steel dog bowl. (I know. I know. But it does have a nice rubber ring on the bottom to keep it from sliding all over the counter.) I get tons of great lather now. I would recommend a bowl of some sort to mix your lather.

Enjoy!

Big fan of the 34C. I like Astra SP and Israeli Crystal blades. Wilkinson swords are ok as well. Merkur blades are terrible IMHO. I'm a big fan of GFT coconut cream and QCS soaps.

I started with a 34 HD more than a year ago and haven't found a reason to change from it :biggrin1:.

+ 1 for the idea of getting a blade sample pack. I started with 5 different blades. Picked my favourites, bought a few more. Currently using Astras and Gillette Yellows.

Ukross,

I hope you picked up a 34C HD, I did. What a great shaver.

2 min. Hot water soak (most important step),

Personna lab blue blades (shave 3&4 are smoother than shave 1&2, note: flip blade each day. Shave 5 was 100% comfortable. Will do shave 6 today. When will this blade give out?),

Any soap (MWF, Cella, TOBS, T&H, Porasso, Tabec, SDR),

Three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG),

Easy DFS, sometimes BBS.

Don't forget YMMV!

Old thread..

Just tried this razor I found yesterday and yeowch! A wee bit aggressive and to make matters worse my lather with the Dr. Dittmar was crap. I think. Otherwise this was one razor that had more bite than I anticipated. Dumb. :blush:Why I thought it was like the Ej 89 I don't know. Like the heft and feel if the razor as well as the two piece construction for ease of blade exchange. Reminds me a little of the Rocket HD but that's too early to tell after one use. Sure feels like it. But I liked that razor because I knew what I was getting into. Oh well. A rest and tomorrow is another day.

Last edited:
+ 1 on this. Also, look at a vintage Gillette, possibly a Slim adjustable. Gets you into adjustable world at a lower cost than a Fat Boy.

Welcome to B&B! I think the 34C is a great razor for the new wet shaver or a veteren. Because we all have differents beard and skin types I would suggest that you get a blade sampler to see what works best for you. Happy Shaving.

Top Bottom