What's new

Any Clue on this stone?

Got sent this picture on eBay. Anyone recognize the surface?

2.jpg

I was thinking Vermont slate or mueller stone. Guy says it’s a WoA... but doesn’t look like any I’ve seen. He follows a couple of the guys on eBay known for selling welsh slate and mueller stone as Thuringian so I’m suspecting there’s a new racket selling a modern stone as WoA.

He sent me four pictures. Four sides of the same stone I think. That one picture looks a little more normal, but this pattern is on the other three. I’m sure I’ve seen it before. Was a purple stone someone was trying to sell as Vosgiennes years ago I think.

I’ll put the full pictures up next time I’m at my pc.

I was thinking Vermont slate or mueller stone. Guy says it’s a WoA... but doesn’t look like any I’ve seen. He follows a couple of the guys on eBay known for selling welsh slate and mueller stone as Thuringian so I’m suspecting there’s a new racket selling a modern stone as WoA.
I’ve noticed vermont slate popping up a bit lately last time I remember was a few years ago and I dont think WoA either.

These are the four pics I was sent, I suspect it's 4 sides of the same stone.

The more I look at it, the more it resembles vermont slate's I've had.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 50
Not like any WoA, Tam, Dalmore or any other stone from the quarries of that region that I have seen. Lots of discrepancies on the names and stones from the area but that one is not like any other labeled stone from there.

Not sure what it is. But about certain that it’s not WoA

Yeah, Didn't have the heart to tell him. I just stopped trying to correct him when he sent these pics and said he has tons of Water of Ayrs. Figured I'd check here to make sure I'm not crazy.

I think its 2 stones but I could be wrong.

You may be right. I'm thinking it's something like 8x2x1.5 and that's why the width changes... we're looking front/back and a side on a stone lapped on all sides (looks like he shows front twice, pic 1 and 4) but two stones is definitely possible.

Looks like a Henry Coe stone. It is from Arkansas but it is not a novaculite. He stoped for a while due to finding shell inclusions in higher than than normal numbers. Making it harder to find good stone for honig.

Interesting thread. I’ve owned a number of water of ayr stones and have to disagree with most of the comments here. The water of ayr hones seem to vary in appearance from stone to stone. Some have lots of spots, some lots of lines, and some are very plain.

Here are some photos of mine that I think resemble the above stone, and some others that show the variety you can see.
CCBFF276-2477-4EF4-B49C-E264847E9A46.jpeg
C1C3F6C7-7365-404E-9DE7-B7F18042FD41.jpeg
3AC112E8-8693-4B04-BF84-C33C88548E3F.jpeg
9A61C341-8FB6-4A31-986B-67DDDA073790.jpeg
60A53AC1-FBE2-4426-8FEE-2A09DB1FC156.jpeg

Yours do not look as mottled as the ones Ian has shown.
Yours look typical for WOA's with the exception of one that looks like a dark Tam.

I can assure you they are all water of ayrs. I think this reenforces my point about how much variety you see with this type of stone if it can be easily mistaken for a tam.

I’d say the last stone is very similar to the one pictured- I suspect the picture is deceiving as to the condition of the surface due to the large size of the stone.

Top Bottom