What's new

Any brandy or cognac lovers?

So a Fine is three things, a two year old Calvados. A brandy, but not a clear eau de vie, from another region such as Maine or Burgundy made with either grapes or apples that has been aged probably for 2 years or more in line with the Calvados description and uses the Fine designation as apart of the AOC official name. Lastly Cognacs made from a mixture of Grande and Petite Champagne eaux de vie (with at least 50% Grande Champagne) may be marketed as "Fine Champagne" Grande and Petite Champagne are different areas of Cognac.

Thanks! That is very useful to know!

Another cold night, in lockdown, shoveled snow all day, and had to drive my elderly Mom to the doctor in the next town over and found the parking lot of the liquor store deserted, which was rare, and went inside.

Picked up a bottle of Paul Masson VS. I was VERY pleasantly surprised sipping it in front of the fire tonight. Somewhat straightforward, that is to say absolutely no question that you're drinking something 80 proof, but with heavy notes of vanilla and caramel. Middle and aftertaste much better than the initial taste. Maybe a bit overdone but not bad. Not bad at all. I drank it straight up and it was fine and it would be more than fine as a mixer. It will be replacing Christian Brothers as the "cheap to-go" brandy around here.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Brian:
My favorite is Hine VSOP (when I can get my hands on it, but my second choice would be Hennessy VS)! :thumbsup:

1574032079247.jpeg

proxy.php
"All Cognac’s are Brandy...but not all Brandy’s are Cognac". CBJ

Anyone try ABK6 vs or vsop?
View attachment 1149269
I have been looking at these. They are very affordable cognac and I haven’t heard anything bad.
I tried this ABK6 last night. I’m new to cognac appreciation. I’m an avid scotch drinker so I’ll describe it in that way. It’s a light and smooth cognac. Reminds me of a spey side whisky by way of its light flavors. Has a sweetness mid palette and a dry vanilla finish. Very enjoyable but to me it seems like a young spirit even though it is very smooth. I had two pours because, well it’s good. I like smoky peaty scotch in the winter. This seems like a summer sipper or a anytime you want an enjoyable light flavor to sip on. For $34 at total wine I think it’s a good deal.

I tried this ABK6 last night. I’m new to cognac appreciation. I’m an avid scotch drinker so I’ll describe it in that way. It’s a light and smooth cognac. Reminds me of a spey side whisky by way of its light flavors. Has a sweetness mid palette and a dry vanilla finish. Very enjoyable but to me it seems like a young spirit even though it is very smooth. I had two pours because, well it’s good. I like smoky peaty scotch in the winter. This seems like a summer sipper or a anytime you want an enjoyable light flavor to sip on. For $34 at total wine I think it’s a good deal.
Spectacular. I can’t wait to find a bottle.

A gift for the upcoming birthday. Brandy Armenia with gold leaf. There is a belief that a gold-containing alcoholic drink brings wealth and happiness to those who drink it. I drink alcohol very rarely, but on my birthday I will test this theory.
Those look spectacular.

I was reading Lies of Locke Lemora a couple years ago which created a significant thirst for brandy. I have had a cognac once or twice in my life. I read how Armagnac's will giver you bigger bang for your buck since Cognac's are so popular, so I got a 60 and 100 dollar Armagnac, Domaine D'Esperance (Bas Armagnac, XO) and I haven't been a big fan of either. I'm extremely limitted in my brandy palette but the two Armagnacs seemed to have less body/viscosity/syrupyness than I was expecting, and a little less honey/sweetness. The nose on the 100 dollar one is really good, but I feel like the finish has a fairly generic alcohol taste. (its 41 abv) I have no clue if most Armagnac's are like this, but the Domaine D'Esperance seemed to be highly rated. I'll be searching for a non-apply brandy with a little more sweetness and viscosity in the future, hoping Cognac not being the only option.

I like coffee with cognac. This recipe came from France. This alcoholic cocktail creates a double load on the heart and blood vessels, so for hypertensive people, it's especially dangerous. Personally, I don't like it because I'm not a fan of hot alcoholic beverages. But many people like it so you can try to make this drink. You just need to make a cup of coffee and add 50ml of cognac, or as much as you want.

I like coffee with cognac. This recipe came from France. This alcoholic cocktail creates a double load on the heart and blood vessels, so for hypertensive people, it's especially dangerous. Personally, I don't like it because I'm not a fan of hot alcoholic beverages. But many people like it so you can try to make this drink. You just need to make a cup of coffee and add 50ml of cognac, or as much as you want.
After I have an espresso, sometimes I like the rinse the empty cup with a demitasse spoon of brandy, picks up the last of the coffee flavours and warms up the brandy, a nice finishing sip.

Australia makes some nice brandies, being a major winemaking country.
proxy.php
Today I cracked open this South Australian brandy I got for christmas. It uses mostly ex-chardonnay barrels for aging and you can tell, it has that minerally mushroom taste I get from chardonnay. Not a lot of vanilla or dried fruit.
St Agnes is Archetypical of an Australian style brandy, mostly sultana, apple, vanilla oak. I actually prefer the St Agnes VS to the VSOP as it is more fruity.
Recently the prices for St Agnes has become more expensive recently so I've been enjoying Aldi's Baroque brandy.
proxy.php

It's slightly lighter in character than even the VS St Agnes but it hits all the same notes.
I prefer to drink my brandy as a brandy and soda (just soda water, I've tried dry ginger ale and lemonade but they cover the flavour too much) so the lighter body and flavour is fine by me.

Top Bottom