What's new

Any brandy or cognac lovers?

Cognac has been loved to death. Literally. The product has declined precipitously. A visit to Cognac and Jarmac 10 years ago taught me that the yield from the various cru has been increased 3-400% in recent decades, partially by bringing more marginal land in each cru under production, but mostly through the use of fertilizers and insecticides. The terrior has been altered in order to meet market demands.
Many independent French vineyards have gone organic, I wouldn't be surprised the same is true of independent Cognac producer's.

Martell will not use any weed killer on their nearly 300 hectare vineyards.

Many independent French vineyards have gone organic, I wouldn't be surprised the same is true of independent Cognac producer's.

Martell will not use any weed killer on their nearly 300 hectare vineyards.
Interesting. Thanks. What this trend will do, likely, is increase quality but reduce yields.

This working man does have a couple of bottles of cognac, but is happy for a drink of Christian Brothers on a cold winter night. Their XO Rare Reserve is hard to find, but an excellent bargain. Another one, different, is St. Remy XO. Very affordable, very smooth, not as rich as cognac but still worth the money.

Last edited:
So what is a good French brandy that is affordable as an alternative to cognac? Is there such a thing that is widely available?

The major brands are St Remy as mentioned above from the Nantais and Raynals produced in the Cognac region without the Cognac appellation.

So what are the opinions on St Remy compared to Cognac or even compared to American brandies like Christian Brothers?

So what are the opinions on St Remy compared to Cognac or even compared to American brandies like Christian Brothers?

Well, since it's awfully cold tonight and the lockdown continues with little to do, I decided to actually answer your question.

To do so, I poured out small sipping quantities of Christian Brothers VS, St. Remy VSOP, a Salignac VS Cognac, these being the three in the house here. My tastes tend to be pedestrian, and the Christian Brothers is the "go-to" chez moi.

The St. Remy and the Cognac were indistinguishable in color and smell. The Christian Brothers is lighter than both of them in color but with a sharper smell.

As far as taste, both the St. Remy and the cognac were, admittedly, better than the Christian brothers. Adjectives are difficult things, but if it makes any sense, both of the French products seemed "heavier" in the mouth in a manner similar to how a red wine from the south of France will seem heavier than a Red from California.

The St. Remy was more "rounded" and "syrupy" than the Cognac, which struck me as somewhat more refined but also a bit more "edgy" going down.

In conclusion, the St. Remy was very enjoyable. But again, this is from a man whose go-to is the inexpensive Christian Brothers. Those with more expensive tastes than mine would probably have different opinions.

One brandy I've not tried in 30 years is the Mexican "Presidente," which I thought was awful but is now getting good reviews. I'd also like to try some the Spanish Jerez Brandies.

Good thing we are not quite halfway through this winter!

Well, since it's awfully cold tonight and the lockdown continues with little to do, I decided to actually answer your question.

To do so, I poured out small sipping quantities of Christian Brothers VS, St. Remy VSOP, a Salignac VS Cognac, these being the three in the house here. My tastes tend to be pedestrian, and the Christian Brothers is the "go-to" chez moi.

The St. Remy and the Cognac were indistinguishable in color and smell. The Christian Brothers is lighter than both of them in color but with a sharper smell.

As far as taste, both the St. Remy and the cognac were, admittedly, better than the Christian brothers. Adjectives are difficult things, but if it makes any sense, both of the French products seemed "heavier" in the mouth in a manner similar to how a red wine from the south of France will seem heavier than a Red from California.

The St. Remy was more "rounded" and "syrupy" than the Cognac, which struck me as somewhat more refined but also a bit more "edgy" going down.

In conclusion, the St. Remy was very enjoyable. But again, this is from a man whose go-to is the inexpensive Christian Brothers. Those with more expensive tastes than mine would probably have different opinions.

One brandy I've not tried in 30 years is the Mexican "Presidente," which I thought was awful but is now getting good reviews. I'd also like to try some the Spanish Jerez Brandies.

Good thing we are not quite halfway through this winter!
Thanks for the comparison! I’ll have to grab some St Remy.

Thanks for the comparison! I’ll have to grab some St Remy.
St Remy was created by Remy Martin in the 19th Century when they couldn't produce Cognac in Charentes due to the Phylloxera louse. The grapes grown in the Nantais for wine were the same at that time as used for Cognac in the Charentes.

Maybe not. I saw a Calvados referred to as "fine", as if that were part of the name, in a liquor store ad yesterday. Not clear to me that that would make it a "fine."
Calvados is the AOC name, there are other Apple Brandies as mentioned above called Fine where their AOC name includes Fine such as Fine du Maine. The AOC name for eau de vie from Burgundy is Fine de Bourgogne.

Calvados is the AOC name, there are other Apple Brandies as mentioned above called Fine where their AOC name includes Fine such as Fine du Maine. The AOC name for eau de vie from Burgundy is Fine de Bourgogne.
I am guessing here that a Fine Calvados is the equivalent of a VS or three star brandy...

fine-calvados-chateau-du-breuil-im.jpg

Edit: I guessed correctly

Although not mandatory, the mention of age if indicated must comply with the following indications:

Fine, VS (Very Special), Trois étoiles (Three Stars), Trois pommes (Three Apples) – indicates an aging under wood of 2 years minimum.

Vieux (Old), Réserve (Reserve) – indicates aging of at least three years.

VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale), VO (Very Old), Vieille Réserve (Old Reserve), – indicates a minimum aging of four years.

XO (Extra Old), Hors d’Age (Beyond Age), Très Vieille Réserve (Very Old Reserve), Très Vieux (Very Old), Napoléon – indicates aging of at least six years.

Another Apple Brandy is Fine du Maine.
I will try and procure a bottle...

Another Fine is Fine Faugères.

Marc de Bourgogne which is a pomace brandy has a finer version where the stalks have been removed which is labelled Marc Egrappe.
Another Fine, Fine du Languedoc

fine-du-languedoc.jpg

I am guessing here that a Fine Calvados is the equivalent of a VS or three star brandy...

View attachment 1215983

Edit: I guessed correctly

Although not mandatory, the mention of age if indicated must comply with the following indications:

Fine, VS (Very Special), Trois étoiles (Three Stars), Trois pommes (Three Apples) – indicates an aging under wood of 2 years minimum.

Vieux (Old), Réserve (Reserve) – indicates aging of at least three years.

VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale), VO (Very Old), Vieille Réserve (Old Reserve), – indicates a minimum aging of four years.

XO (Extra Old), Hors d’Age (Beyond Age), Très Vieille Réserve (Very Old Reserve), Très Vieux (Very Old), Napoléon – indicates aging of at least six years.

great reference!

So a Fine is three things, a two year old Calvados. A brandy, but not a clear eau de vie, from another region such as Maine or Burgundy made with either grapes or apples that has been aged probably for 2 years or more in line with the Calvados description and uses the Fine designation as apart of the AOC official name. Lastly Cognacs made from a mixture of Grande and Petite Champagne eaux de vie (with at least 50% Grande Champagne) may be marketed as "Fine Champagne" Grande and Petite Champagne are different areas of Cognac.

A gift for the upcoming birthday. Brandy Armenia with gold leaf. There is a belief that a gold-containing alcoholic drink brings wealth and happiness to those who drink it. I drink alcohol very rarely, but on my birthday I will test this theory.

Top Bottom