What's new

Any Bird Watchers?

Anybody else find themselves stalking birds with binos or a camera for days just for a glimpse or photo of a particular bird? I‘ve spent three days stalking a harem of 15 Wild Turkeys, just to get close enough to try my luck at photos. They busted me…forgot to remove watch. I‘ll be back waiting on them tomorrow morning.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I fell in love with photography the large wading birds here in Florida.... and that's what you often have to do.. learn patience.. wait, wait and wait... you have to learn where they are, obviously... but even then, they often make you wait. ;)

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’m not a dedicated bird watcher, but I do enjoy the different varieties that frequent my bird feeder. I took a bunch of photos of this type of bird in Mexico on my daily walk on the beach.
It’s a Snowy Egret.
8A3E1C9E-2C11-447D-9165-1FBCC7BDB09C.jpeg

Possum,
As you have already liked a few of my photos on another thread (thanks), you know that I am an avid birder. Here are a few shots from earlier this week.

Hms

Attachments

• B8E116BE-5E64-4FE3-AACB-57471F5DDDD9.jpeg
    B8E116BE-5E64-4FE3-AACB-57471F5DDDD9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • BE595B58-A726-4934-99FE-E0391337F634.jpeg
    BE595B58-A726-4934-99FE-E0391337F634.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 38B5038E-1ADE-4D59-A027-B3689D82C425.jpeg
    38B5038E-1ADE-4D59-A027-B3689D82C425.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • D3F77DFE-8F43-409A-A437-28B760B64CB4.jpeg
    D3F77DFE-8F43-409A-A437-28B760B64CB4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 303026BA-DC53-430C-8988-69C63925779A.jpeg
    303026BA-DC53-430C-8988-69C63925779A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Possum,
As you have already liked a few of my photos on another thread (thanks), you know that I am an avid birder. Here are a few shots from earlier this week.

Hms
I’ll get some photos up soon. Hopefully, the Turkeys will cooperate. Digging out my bigger lens and the tripod for tomorrow morning.

You bet! I'm a long time member of the local Winto Audubon Society, and have led a number of birding field trips in the past.
Because of covid, our group hasn't been very active, but hopefully that will change.
I keep a life, county, and yard list, but not much into photography.

My wife and I and our two cats love watching birds on our back deck. I even have three video cameras and NVR that record their activities. Currently, all but two of my feeders are out of service as we will be staining the deck as soon as the weather cooperates. It seem we get rain and/or freezing every other day which is delaying our plans. We hope to put the feeders back when the maintenance is completed. However, the DNR here in Illinois is recommending that feeders be taken down through the end of May due to bird flu.

Over the past year, our feeders attracted over twenty species of birds during the day and rabbits, opossums, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes after twilight. The birds range in size from goldfinches to Cooper's Hawks.

I am not great at photography, but I have a friend who is. Here for your viewing pleasure is a photo he took in January near the Mississippi River near Galena, IL.

IMG_2424.JPG

I’ve been a long time bird watcher. For some reason/issue I am consistently challenged making ID other than the basic/common birds and the other birds never look like the Peterson or Sibley guides, but I drag my clan out every chance I get to track down birds. Fortunately, I can ID waterfowl and game birds. Any time afield is better than inside.

We have Robins nesting outside our bathroom window. I find myself checking on their progress several times a day. I am still chasing the Turkeys around with the camera, but the weather has been lousy the past few days.

I was surprised to see this bird in my driveway, I live in the country. After a little more investigating it escaped from my neighbors, he was training his dog. The dog was very gentle with the bird and now it is a large bird. This is the largest quail I ever saw.
35A7779C-57B7-42B8-9601-F811D0D70238_1_105_c.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes. I have a few gardens I'm always working/planning for birds and butterflies. I like to think Heaven must have butterflies there.... Though I have not yet found proof in the Scriptures....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great photos in this thread. I’m a very amateur bird watcher. I try to be aware of songs and possible sightings as a way to notice nature and stay in the moment. I’ve had a few lucky spots of rare birds this year. Photography is my goal but I’m basically terrible. Probably need a new 🎥. I joined ebird to get notice of bird sightings.

Great photos in this thread. I’m a very amateur bird watcher. I try to be aware of songs and possible sightings as a way to notice nature and stay in the moment. I’ve had a few lucky spots of rare birds this year. Photography is my goal but I’m basically terrible. Probably need a new 🎥. I joined ebird to get notice of bird sightings.
Ebird is a great resource, not only for birders, but it also helps ornithologists keep track of our declining avian population, and hopefully do what they can, if anything, to slow the decline.

My favorite birdsong to identify to other people
is the blue jay imitating a red tail hawk.
It sounds a lot like the hawk, but not quite right.
It's sometimes preceded by or followed by typical blue jay sounds.

It's my favorite because I know that I sound like I'm making it up
when I do it.

Top Bottom