What's new

Any big wheel gun fans?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What's everyones go to calibers? I have 454 ,45 Colt, didn't like a 357 to much, maybe it was the revolver. I am debating another caliber but really these two do everything I 'need' so was looking at a either a smaller high end 45 Colt. Or a Magnum research bfr in 45 Colt , a friend has the 45/70 and loves the quality , the new 500jbh is interesting as well as the crazy 500 linebaugh lol.
I’d probably do .357 magnum now, using .38 for most practice rounds.
Two weeks ago a guy two lanes down from me was shooting a .44 mag. That really should be outlawed in an indoor range.
When I had my .44 mag, my first shot usually temporarily stopped all shooting for a few moments. When I was last at the range with my Glock 43x, someone had a 7.62 mm SBR- made more of a ruckus than my 44 ever did. It was severely distracting.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That’ll be fine, simon1 😬😬😬

The Hillary hole (AKA, S&W’s lame attempt at placating 2A unfriendlies who weren’t even seeking appeasement), as seen on someone’s destitute (rust) S&W

And the Hillary hole plug, complements of Original Precision Bulletproof Parts
I never understood folk's objections to the lock. It seemed a very reasonable addition.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I never understood folk's objections to the lock. It seemed a very reasonable addition.
It affects the looks a little bit, but wouldn’t stop me from buying. Some people just like being upset. :)

On edit- I used to be that way, until I had grandchildren.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Folks don't object to the lock. And reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder.
Exactly … well, the eye of the beholder part.

The advent of S&W lock, as well as Springfield Armory (IL) & Rock River Arms decisions to back & finance SB-1657*, was to placate political unfriendlies … if y’all are the sort (not you, Ron ☺️) who loathe gunsafes or enjoy leaving firearms laying around for all to see, then yes, the Hillary Hole certainly is a great idea!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

The advent of S&W lock, as well as Springfield Armory (IL) & Rock River Arms decisions to back & finance SB-1657*, was to placate political unfriendlies … if y’all are the sort (not you, Ron ☺️) who loathe gunsafes or enjoy leaving firearms laying around for all to see, then yes, the Hillary Hole certainly is a great idea!

It's a great idea for all the folk that can't afford gun safes.

It's a great idea for new owners with children since it's far easier to carry another key than the gun itself.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Nature of the beast my good friend.

While steering away from any political side as we both are loyal B&B members who follow the rules.

In your opinion,

1. are political un-friendlies from any side ever placated? Or do they use what they get from getting what they want, to just get more?

2. Could we assume or maybe pretty accurately predict, these same, self centered, irresponsible idiots, who ‘loathe gun safes’ and as you say, ‘actually enjoy’ leaving their loaded firearms laying around?

If these types are not going to use the separate locks that come with each firearm, do you really think they will use the built in lock on a S&W or Springfield?

Remember now, they actually ‘enjoy’ being that way?

OkieStubble

It's a great idea for all the folk that can't afford gun safes.

It's a great idea for new owners with children since it's far easier to carry another key than the gun itself.
I can agree with this wholeheartedly. I think it is a fantastic option for those who don’t have safes and young children. But it should be exactly that, an option.
I myself married young. And before I knew it, I became a police officer and suddenly, not only had a few guns in my house, but also a few children.

Damn woman wouldn’t keep her hands off of me. ;)

Even then, I was a responsible gun owner. I don’t remember firearm manufacturers providing locks with new firearms back then in the early 80’s, but I do remember keeping the very few firearms I had, un loaded and up and away in a closet separate from ammo, young children and prying eyes.

But I also did something much more important as my young children grew older and as an attentive father and responsible gun owner and I observed and became aware of my young children’s innate and natural curiosities of the world and all things including firearms?

And specifically the firearms that they shared a home with?

Let me tell you, because I am not only a responsible owner of quite a few firearms, but I am also the responsible owner of quite a few children. :)
When the minute they became of age to listen and reason, don’t under estimate your children, that age is pretty young. I helped them with realizing and understanding ‘The Forbidden Fruit’ of firearms.

I sat them down and not only explained to them everything about their fathers firearms, but also what firearms are capable of in the hands of not only the experienced and responsible, but also in the hands of the inexperienced and irresponsible. I can still remember after all these years, the looks of expressions on their little faces as the things I told them hit home in their little consciousness and they understood the importance of the message I was delivering to them.

I also remember making a solemn promise to them that I never broke. Promise’s parents make to their children, those children will hold their parents to them, so it’s very important to keep them.

I promised them and made this deal with them that anyone of them could see, touch, hold and discuss Dad’s guns anytime they wanted. That’s right…. Anytime they wanted. Night or day.

But….

They could only do that when their father was with them. And I can tell you, every single one of them, held me to this promise. I can even remember, the first time my oldest son who was about 9 years old, suddenly coming to me and asking to see my shotgun? At that time, I had my sleeves rolled up and changing the oil on my truck.

But I realized by the look in his eye, it wasn’t really about him wanting to see the shotgun. It was about him needing to see, if his father would keep his promise, of actually stopping whatever he was doing, because yes, his 9 year old son is that important to him. I realized at that moment, keeping this promise was not only very important to a curious 9 year old boy, but it effectively took away ‘the desire’ for the forbidden fruit.

In saying all this, I also always took my children with me, on mandatory trips to the range. They not only got to see and hear the accuracy and loud percussion of firearms, but also it’s destructive abilities on things like bottles, bricks and watermelon. They also got to help daddy pick up the brass at the end of our range session.

I am very proud of the fact, that when my oldest son was 12, him and a couple of his friends were walking home from school. They had to walk by an apartment complex and one of my sons friends found a loaded .32 ACP pistol on the ground by an apartment garbage dumpster.

My son would not let his friends touch the firearm. Instead, he convinced them to all do exactly what Eddie Eagle taught his father and his father passed on to him. “Don’t touch, run and tell an adult.” :)

They ran to our house where I was getting ready for work and told me. I put all three of them in the back of my police cruiser and we drove to the apartments and I retrieved the pistol from behind the trash dumpster. The pistol was loaded and was stolen.

No way of knowing, but it most likely was pitched there by a gang banger at that time, who was running from the police. I was so very proud of my son and his friends. I actually called in late for work and took them for ice cream.

The moral and point of this huge story and diatribe, is taking the time to deal with the ‘forbidden fruit’ when it comes to the curiosity of children and firearms works.

No, it is not a replacement for keeping your firearm’s safe and secure from anyone, not just children. But I know for a fact, my children were safe, not just because I was a responsible gun owner, but because I turned them into responsible and educated gun owners, before they ever even owned a gun themselves.

Imagine being in the third grade and being a educated and responsible gun owner?

Imagine that! :)

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I can agree with this wholeheartedly. I think it is a fantastic option for those who don’t have safes and young children. But it should be exactly that, an option.
I myself married young. And before I knew it, I became a police officer and suddenly, not only had a few guns in my house, but also a few children.

Damn woman wouldn’t keep her hands off of me. ;)

Even then, I was a responsible gun owner. I don’t remember firearm manufacturers providing locks with new firearms back then in the early 80’s, but I do remember keeping the very few firearms I had, un loaded and up and away in a closet separate from ammo, young children and prying eyes.

But I also did something much more important as my young children grew older and as an attentive father and responsible gun owner and I observed and became aware of my young children’s innate and natural curiosities of the world and all things including firearms?

And specifically the firearms that they shared a home with?

Let me tell you, because I am not only a responsible owner of quite a few firearms, but I am also the responsible owner of quite a few children. :)
When the minute they became of age to listen and reason, don’t under estimate your children, that age is pretty young. I helped them with realizing and understanding ‘The Forbidden Fruit’ of firearms.

I sat them down and not only explained to them everything about their fathers firearms, but also what firearms are capable of in the hands of not only the experienced and responsible, but also in the hands of the inexperienced and irresponsible. I can still remember after all these years, the looks of expressions on their little faces as the things I told them hit home in their little consciousness and they understood the importance of the message I was delivering to them.

I also remember making a solemn promise to them that I never broke. Promise’s parents make to their children, those children will hold their parents to them, so it’s very important to keep them.

I promised them and made this deal with them that anyone of them could see, touch, hold and discuss Dad’s guns anytime they wanted. That’s right…. Anytime they wanted. Night or day.

But….

They could only do that when their father was with them. And I can tell you, every single one of them, held me to this promise. I can even remember, the first time my oldest son who was about 9 years old, suddenly coming to me and asking to see my shotgun? At that time, I had my sleeves rolled up and changing the oil on my truck.

But I realized by the look in his eye, it wasn’t really about him wanting to see the shotgun. It was about him needing to see, if his father would keep his promise, of actually stopping whatever he was doing, because yes, his 9 year old son is that important to him. I realized at that moment, keeping this promise was not only very important to a curious 9 year old boy, but it effectively took away ‘the desire’ for the forbidden fruit.

In saying all this, I also always took my children with me, on mandatory trips to the range. They not only got to see and hear the accuracy and loud percussion of firearms, but also it’s destructive abilities on things like bottles, bricks and watermelon. They also got to help daddy pick up the brass at the end of our range session.

I am very proud of the fact, that when my oldest son was 12, him and a couple of his friends were walking home from school. They had to walk by an apartment complex and one of my sons friends found a loaded .32 ACP pistol on the ground by an apartment garbage dumpster.

My son would not let his friends touch the firearm. Instead, he convinced them to all do exactly what Eddie Eagle taught his father and his father passed on to him. “Don’t touch, run and tell an adult.” :)

They ran to our house where I was getting ready for work and told me. I put all three of them in the back of my police cruiser and we drove to the apartments and I retrieved the pistol from behind the trash dumpster. The pistol was loaded and was stolen.

No way of knowing, but it most likely was pitched there by a gang banger at that time, who was running from the police. I was so very proud of my son and his friends. I actually called in late for work and took them for ice cream.

The moral and point of this huge story and diatribe, is taking the time to deal with the ‘forbidden fruit’ when it comes to the curiosity of children and firearms works.

No, it is not a replacement for keeping your firearm’s safe and secure from anyone, not just children. But I know for a fact, my children were safe, not just because I was a responsible gun owner, but because I turned them into responsible and educated gun owners, before they ever even owned a gun themselves.

Imagine being in the third grade and being a educated and responsible gun owner?

Imagine that! :)
But it is an option. If you don't want to use it the S&W guns still functioned the same as if they did not have the lock.

The reasons I think the built in locks like those from S&W and Taurus were a good idea are that they are a visible reminder that hand guns are dangerous while the fit in the trigger guard and able locks got tossed aside and so did not act as a reminder.

Locks and safes are really only required because today and for the last half century or so what you did with your kids and what my dad did with me as well as all my brothers and sisters is simply far from the norm. Remember I was very likely in the second or third grade when I took Dad's 1911 and a 45acp cartridge to school for 'show-n-tell'.

The reason my teacher and the other teachers liked my 'show-n-tell' even back then was that teaching gun safety was not the norm. And that was a time when finding a pickup parked with windows down, doors unlocked and a 30-30 or shotgun or both on a rack behind the seat or standing against the wall next to the back door was pretty common.

OkieStubble

But it is an option.

Locks and safes are really only required

With all due respect my friend, This above looks like a contradiction in reasoning to me?

A firearm manufacturer, who placates to pressure to add built in locks to all of their firearms, is indeed, them freely choosing and deciding between the options of their company “ doing it or not doing it.”

But then mandating to firearms purchaser’s by not offering a choice or option of one of their brand firearms “with or without a lock?”

With that kind of mandate of, “well, you don’t have to purchase our brand.”

Do you think that firearm manufacturer will stay in business long?

I know a few years back, S&W and Taurus put locks on some of their products. I haven’t bought a Taurus or S&W in many decades. Are they still making guns with internal locks? Do they make any of their guns now without those locks? Or are they putting internal locks on all of their firearms currently?

We seriously should not only apologize, but immediately stop hijacking this thread. Hit the pm box if you would like to continue this discussion. :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah.
IMG_0014.JPG

What year is it? I am guessing it is a mid to late 80's strike gun based on the finish. I have a couple of Agents made during that time period. They have the rough finish, but do have the pony on them.

What year is it? I am guessing it is a mid to late 80's strike gun based on the finish. I have a couple of Agents made during that time period. They have the rough finish, but do have the pony on them.
I have the original box and paperwork somewhere but I think it is '85, or was it '89? Parkerized. The only other firearm I have with that finish is a 1943 Paratrooper Carbine.

I looked up the strike details. History I never knew, very interesting.

Yes, your whole gun is parkerized. Only the cylinders and barrels on my Agents are. They have aluminum frames. I guess their finish is some kinda anodizing.

The story is Colt made these rough finish guns because during that time period,, their polishers were on strike.

Top Bottom