What's new

Any big wheel gun fans?

I wasn't sure to interpret the OP title as being a big fan or being a fan of big wheelguns. If I like tiny wheelguns, does that count? Personally, I feel like the wheelgun is in its prime with the big boomer rounds-- 44mag and up.

I don't own any wheelguns but I think my first purchase would either be a Performance Center 10.5" in 460sw or a Super Redhawk in 454 casull. As a handloader, there's appeal to me in a chambering that can easily be downloaded or can use brass from 460 down to 45 schofield. The huge range of power available from plinking to black bear cannot be duplicated in another firearm, never mind one that stays reliable across that load range. And what else has a power-to-portability ratio even close to a handcannon revolver?

I also like the idea of limiting proliferation of components. Sticking with this big boys allows me to stock only the LRP and SRP primers I'm already stocking and not to have to inventory LPP for which I'd have no other use. It's bad enough to proliferate brass, bullets, and dies and all that. But the long brass life of a 454 casull loaded to 45 colt pressures would make just a hundred pieces or so last a long time.

How much did you spend for this one?
Which one, I remember the K 38 new at a Kmart being $68, and that was with wide target hammer and trigger. Could have gotten another with narrow hammer/trigger for about $5 less. Two years later when a young Air Force Officer one of our NCO's had an interest in a pawn shop and heard me talking about the K 38 and brought in the K 22, used, but absolutly 100%, he said it had maybe two boxes of cartridges fired and its owner did not think it exciting enough. Gave him $75 for it. The others I do not remember the price exactly, the hand ejector was somewhere between 275 and 300, the Marlin around 450 but that's been about 15 years now.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@GladysBrode, be aware that the prices Jeff quoted above are no longer current. As for the need of a license, that depends on where you live. Are you in the US? Local jurisdictions vary, but in most of the US, no license or permit is required to purchase a firearm. A licensed gun dealer (FFL) will require you to fill out a form 4473 which registers the sale of the gun to you, but that form stays with the dealer unless it is requested by the BATF or the dealer goes out of business and then all of his records go to the BATF. As far as gun registration with a local law enforcement agency, that can vary from state to state and city to city. In most of the country there is no such requirement, but in highly regulated states or cities there may be much more stringent requirements. I'm sure your local firearms dealer can fill you in on what's required, as can a call to your local law enforcement agency. Many states offer Concealed Carry Permits and some states have what's called "Constitutional Carry" where no permit is required. Some places it's hard to get any type of permit at all. There are also highly variable magazine capacity regulations in some jurisdictions and no restrictions in others. It all depends on where you live.

@GladysBrode, be aware that the prices Jeff quoted above are no longer current. As for the need of a license, that depends on where you live. Are you in the US? Local jurisdictions vary, but in most of the US, no license or permit is required to purchase a firearm. A licensed gun dealer (FFL) will require you to fill out a form 4473 which registers the sale of the gun to you, but that form stays with the dealer unless it is requested by the BATF or the dealer goes out of business and then all of his records go to the BATF. As far as gun registration with a local law enforcement agency, that can vary from state to state and city to city. In most of the country there is no such requirement, but in highly regulated states or cities there may be much more stringent requirements. I'm sure your local firearms dealer can fill you in on what's required, as can a call to your local law enforcement agency. Many states offer Concealed Carry Permits and some states have what's called "Constitutional Carry" where no permit is required. Some places it's hard to get any type of permit at all. There are also highly variable magazine capacity regulations in some jurisdictions and no restrictions in others. It all depends on where you live.
Exactly, I just looked at the S&W site, no K 38 shown, the closest thing is a model 19 classic, shorter barrel and chambered for .357Mag, otherwise a K frame. Current MRSP is $883 a huge increase from the $68 I paid in 1968. Makes me wish I had had the funds and foresight to purchase a large number and stored them properly, but just graduating pharmacy school and having paid most of my way through by working part time, I simply did not have the money, that one was a stretch.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Exactly, I just looked at the S&W site, no K 38 shown, the closest thing is a model 19 classic, shorter barrel and chambered for .357Mag, otherwise a K frame. Current MRSP is $883 a huge increase from the $68 I paid in 1968. Makes me wish I had had the funds and foresight to purchase a large number and stored them properly, but just graduating pharmacy school and having paid most of my way through by working part time, I simply did not have the money, that one was a stretch.
Amen. I bought one brand new .357 GP100 and a used like new (seriously, think it was born in a safe!) S&W model 63 in .22 , both stainless, both out the door for just over $700.... I thought I was crazy at the time!

I think I could get $700 for the grips on that .22 right now.

And this was in the year 2000.

What's everyones go to calibers? I have 454 ,45 Colt, didn't like a 357 to much, maybe it was the revolver. I am debating another caliber but really these two do everything I 'need' so was looking at a either a smaller high end 45 Colt. Or a Magnum research bfr in 45 Colt , a friend has the 45/70 and loves the quality , the new 500jbh is interesting as well as the crazy 500 linebaugh lol.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
What's everyones go to calibers? I have 454 ,45 Colt, didn't like a 357 to much, maybe it was the revolver. I am debating another caliber but really these two do everything I 'need' so was looking at a either a smaller high end 45 Colt. Or a Magnum research bfr in 45 Colt , a friend has the 45/70 and loves the quality , the new 500jbh is interesting as well as the crazy 500 linebaugh lol.
You will be ready for the Grizzly Bear zombie apocalypse.

My 45-70 is heavy. I love shooting revolvers!!

Attachments

• A87333CC-44E1-40F9-A613-CD6605EB1BEA.jpg
    A87333CC-44E1-40F9-A613-CD6605EB1BEA.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 9
My 45-70 is heavy. I love shooting revolvers!!
Very nice. The Bfr line has really interested me. I love Ruger and these are supposed to be a step up, but cheaper than the FA's. I am also contemplating optics in my shotgun or new semi 9mm lol. One thing at a time . What's your opinion on the Bfr?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
.32 & .38. The 38 is often 38S&W. I don't carry my .44s & .45 revolvers much anymore and even gave away all my remaining .357 ammo just before Covid.

I had been carrying my Colt Detective Special for the last few weeks but took my Airweight Centennial to the range this morning. What a contrast. The DS is what I usually choose whenever I need to shoot some qualification but after fifteen rounds out of the Centennial it was time to head to What-A-Burger.

BFR makes incredibly strong and beautiful hand guns. When you hold one you know you got something special there. However it is one a don't shoot very much. The size gets a little tiring and the ammo is expensive. It is a fun revolver to bring to the range from time to time, it gets the looks.
Very nice. The Bfr line has really interested me. I love Ruger and these are supposed to be a step up, but cheaper than the FA's. I am also contemplating optics in my shotgun or new semi 9mm lol. One thing at a time . What's your opinion on the Bfr?

I agree. My BFR was not allowed at the indoor range. It kicks you in the chest. But the BFR doesn't kick nearly as bad as the 44 mag ruger.
I abhor indoor ranges even though using them. Luckily within an hour or 2 are ranges from 100(state owned and cheap) to a mile (private and still a great price (Thunder Valley Precision as well as a few others from 200 to 1k. )

.32 & .38. The 38 is often 38S&W. I don't carry my .44s & .45 revolvers much anymore and even gave away all my remaining .357 ammo just before Covid.

I had been carrying my Colt Detective Special for the last few weeks but took my Airweight Centennial to the range this morning. What a contrast. The DS is what I usually choose whenever I need to shoot some qualification but after fifteen rounds out of the Centennial it was time to head to What-A-Burger.
Those Colt detectives are great looking imo. The cheap sorta copy by RIA at a lgs is tempting but think the real used thing would be better.

FarmerTan

I hope y'all remember to remind me that I need to use my GP100 as a carry gun. Shooting .38's out of that is easy as a pellet gun. And really not all that difficult to hide in the winter in Michigan.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I hope y'all remember to remind me that I need to use my GP100 as a carry gun. Shooting .38's out of that is easy as a pellet gun. And really not all that difficult to hide in the winter in Michigan.
They are easy to carry discretely even down here.

FarmerTan

They are easy to carry discretely even down here.
The 4" barrel is great for hitting what I intend to, but my gut grew when I was busy feeding fat to my depression, and my Vedder IWB holster ain't as fun.... BUT! my newer OWB horizontal holster that sits at 6 o'clock is fine for covering with an insulated sports coat from LL Bean that I usually wear.... And I'm still limber enough to reach back there, despite the increase in distance around my equator!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The 4" barrel is great for hitting what I intend to, but my gut grew when I was busy feeding fat to my depression, and my Vedder IWB holster ain't as fun.... BUT! my newer OWB horizontal holster that sits at 6 o'clock is fine for covering with an insulated sports coat from LL Bean that I usually wear.... And I'm still limber enough to reach back there, despite the increase in distance around my equator!
It was 98F today.

Top Bottom