What's new

Any big wheel gun fans?

Much prefer revolvers to autos. Carried revolver on Philadelphia PD for 22 years, and been carrying concealed for over 50 years.

Summer Concealment presents a problem since I’ve always been thin, hence the flatter the silhouette, the better. So revolvers take a back seat in summer, and my EDC reverts to the LCP II.

Racking, jamming, FTF, etc. we’re not concerns with my Smith J-frames, nor my Ruger SP and LCR. I never have a worry when packing a wheel.

For some reasons, I have more interest in revolvers than pistols. To me it’s more classy to carry a revolver than a pistol. May be because my dad used to be a police chief (South Vietnam 60’s) and carried one all the time. The latest addition I have in my collection is a Colt Python 4” made in 1976 still in pristine condition. Costed me a lot, but finally get to own my dream revolver.

Attachments

• 21259B97-8B86-445B-A153-522EFE41DE7F.jpeg
    21259B97-8B86-445B-A153-522EFE41DE7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 3A005A7C-666B-4350-9C61-3D8C7A1D434C.jpeg
    3A005A7C-666B-4350-9C61-3D8C7A1D434C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
That’s my grail revolver also. I'm retired police, and I can vividly recall when I was a young patrol officer, one of our tactical people had a stainless revolver on his hip. I had never seen one in person, so I asked him what it was.

It was a 4” Python. Handsomest revolver I ever saw. That was back in the late 1960s. They are just too overpriced for me. I bought my grail pistol in the 80s when I was still on the job—a Colt 1911, like my Dad carried in WWII. Doubtful I’ll ever get the Python though, since I don’t play the lottery, and there’s just too many other uses for my resources at this time in life.

Your's is a beauty, and IF I did get one now, I think I'd opt for a blued finish. Looks more business like.

Good luck!

You’re right! Several cops bought their own guns, and a few had those models. Over the years, I’ve taken to using the “stainless” adjective because it has become so common. Back then, a non-blued sidearm was quite rare at roll call.

Starting salaries then were a bit over $100 weekly, and few could put aside a week's salary for a gun when the city issued us either a Colt or S&W 4” barrel. I was issued a Smith Model 10 (?) which I had throughout my 22 years. They were beginning to test Glocks when I left in 1989

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You’re right! Several cops bought their own guns, and a few had those models. Over the years, I’ve taken to using the “stainless” adjective because it has become so common. Back then, a non-blued sidearm was quite rare at roll call.

Starting salaries then were a bit over $100 weekly, and few could put aside a week's salary for a gun when the city issued us either a Colt or S&W 4” barrel. I was issued a Smith Model 10 (?) which I had throughout my 22 years. They were beginning to test Glocks when I left in 1989

Thank you for your service.

Started LAPD IN 1971, still have my Model 15. All our personal revolvers had to be clipped to DAO, same as our duty gun. Managed to shoot sharpshooter and occasionally expert. Only way to go. .22, 32 Smith, 7.62x38, 32-20, 38, 38-40, .40, .44 and probably a few others.

should mention the dog in my pic was my service dog from 2007 until last year when she passed away…RIP, TAI

I've still got my 4" S&W 686 (no-dash, no lock) purchased in the 80s and a 2" spurless Ruger SP101 but my favorite large bore is my Ruger single-action birds-head revolver chambered in 45ACP. The cylinder is machined to allow the cartridges to head space on the case rim, so no moon clips.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Started LAPD IN 1971, still have my Model 15. All our personal revolvers had to be clipped to DAO, same as our duty gun. Managed to shoot sharpshooter and occasionally expert. Only way to go. .22, 32 Smith, 7.62x38, 32-20, 38, 38-40, .40, .44 and probably a few others.

should mention the dog in my pic was my service dog from 2007 until last year when she passed away…RIP, TAI

Thank you for your service sir!

Top Bottom