What's new

Any bend in a Rooney Stubby 1?

I have an Emillion as of the middle of last week and I really like it. I'm now looking for a very dense and stiff brush that will remain stout with bristles pointed towards my face under modest pressure. Am I looking for a Stubby 1or a Stubby 2 with 2mm shorter loft than my E or a 1/1 Finest or might as well comment on the Beehive small as well? Not exactly an inexpensive exploration so I need some input. I mainly bowl lather, but I spend more time working that into my face than I do making it in the bowl. I'm like a hybrid face latherer and I want precise control on lather placement. The E is SOOOOOO soft and full, but I want to explore something very firm. Thanks in advance. BTW, I do not use any soaps.

Last edited:
I have a 1/1 in super and it has exactly the characteristics that you are talking about. Its one hell of a brush; Id like a finest but I think my next is gonna be a Savlie Row 3824.

What are you gonna do with that E? :wink:

I couldn't be happier with my Simpsons Colonel X2L. I find the very short loft contributes greatly to it's scrubbing ability. And the price is nice too!

Last edited:
Honestly if you go for anything more dense or with a shorter loft than the emillion, I feel that you will end up having problems.

1) You state you don't use soaps. One of the main reasons for a short lofted stiff brush is to aid is soap pickup, which isn't necessary for creams
2) When using a shorter loft, scrubby brush, the tips are not the only way to apply lather to your face. In fact if you only try to scrub the lather on, you will probably either get a sub par lather or end up rubbing your face raw (maybe a bit extreme). You normally have to use scrubbing motions along with painting motions to get a good lather quickly.

You could go ahead and get one of the shorter lofted scrubby brushes, but I'd also recommend trying to face lather only with the creams or try a soap. You will then really see those types of brushes excel.

Stubby 2 and Emillion have pretty much the same knot.

A Rooney 1/1 would work. Or possibly a Simpson's Tulip? But if you don't use soaps, why the need for a stiffer brush?

Rooney 1/1 Super. It's great! A little scrubby at first but softens up quite a bit after it breaks in. Dense and firm. Plenty useful for bowl lathering, IMO.

Another great option is a 45mm loft Shavemac with Finest or D01 hair, depending on your budget.

-Andy

I'm surprised to hear the comments regarding my not using soaps, but desiring a shorter loft brush. Very true that a shorter loft will make loading the brush easier, but I'm going for a particular "feel on the face" so it is independent of cream vs. soap usage. Because the Stubby 2 and E have such a close loft (2mm diff.) I have pretty much ruled out the Stubby 2 as an alternative. Well, I may need to just pull the trigger on some of these. :wink: I'm thinking maybe a small Beehive and Stubby 1. The 1/1 Finest seems to get a little too much press about being scratchier on the face. Not a feeling I'm looking for. Anyone have a Stubby 1 or Beehive for sale?

Tweedcab, I'm worried about you. First you ditch your 3/1, now you're bored with the Emillion and still looking at Heritage brushes! Either you have a very understanding wife or need to tell me how you're making money in this econonmy :biggrin:.

From what it sounds like, a beehive is in your future.

LawLess,

I'm worried about me too. I like shaving too much now that I've found this source of fantastic people. B&B is EVIL!!!, but I like it :w00t: The 3/1 was fantastic, but the E for me is even better. I can see the top of the ladder, but these last few rungs are pretty big steps(i.e. $$$). The Beehive looks to fit what I'm after more and more as I contemplate this. So Beehive or Stubby 1? Soon my "Rooney" quest will be over I'm sure. Then on to the other fine manufacturers of shaving brushes :eek:

If you want firm, dense, and stiff then you need both of these. Just do it and don't look back! You will never be happy until you've tried them both. :devil: :biggrin:

Stephen,

What would I do without you? There lies the answer. I really shouldn't hold back as I may hurt myself :wink: Actually, I'm going to commit to the Beehive. Guess it's time to post a WTB and start scouring the retailers. The 1/1 Finest is not yet out of the question however.

I'm surprised to hear the comments regarding my not using soaps, but desiring a shorter loft brush. Very true that a shorter loft will make loading the brush easier, but I'm going for a particular "feel on the face" so it is independent of cream vs. soap usage. Because the Stubby 2 and E have such a close loft (2mm diff.) I have pretty much ruled out the Stubby 2 as an alternative. Well, I may need to just pull the trigger on some of these. :wink: I'm thinking maybe a small Beehive and Stubby 1. The 1/1 Finest seems to get a little too much press about being scratchier on the face. Not a feeling I'm looking for. Anyone have a Stubby 1 or Beehive for sale?
Ahh, I get it. Now it makes sense.

I have an Emillion coming so I'll let you know how it compares to the Stubby 2, but they are for all practical purposes the same brush (as you know). I think the small Beehive, a Stubby 1, or Rooney 1/1 would do it.

Whitebar, you are a bad influence. :lol:

Thanks for the upcoming comparison Stubblefield. I think you are right about the 3 brushes you mentioned. First up is the Beehive, and yes, he is a very bad influence :001_rolle

rooney 1/1 finest was too stiff and scrubby for my taste.

the heritage bristle is in a different universe than rooney finest. it is soft and not prickly, as i found the finest hair to be. my issue with rooney heritage was the density was too great for comfortable lathering.

so, after all that exploration and buying and selling, i'm back where i started with a rooney small in super silvertip. such great brushes. Firm and dense yet still soft. they explode with lather but give a great soft facial massage.

I want to go shave right now!:biggrin:

Seriously though, for me, the small rooney supers are not just the best bang for the buck, they are the best brushes around period.

Top Bottom