What's new

Any Barbasol lovers out there?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Where did you get the Colgate in a can?? My dad used that back in the 60's and 70's.

Mine was lying around. It is still good.

I keep a can of Barabasol around, and I used it when I needed a quick shave. This was when using a brush and soap or cream was new to me and building lather took a bit of time and effort. Nowadays if I'm in a hurry, I just wet a brush for a minute and face lather with a better quality shaving cream. I get a decent shave from Barbasol, but better with one of my favorites like TOBS, GFT, Proraso.

Last edited:
Barbasol did the job through the decades of using cartridges. I never found a reason to use more expensive canned products that often did not even last as long. Lathering has been a long learning curve, whereas Barbasol gave consistency right out of the can. I've been using the shave time as something of a last bastion of personal time, so I intend to keep the use of more traditional products for as long as I can. If I have to give it up, I have two cans of Barbasol in reserve.

My Barabsol can has officially been replaced by a tube of Nivea Sensitive Cream.

That said, I've stocked up hard on the Barbasol Pacific Rush aftershave, everyone in the house seems to love it and who am I to argue when the price is awesome. In some fashion or another, Barbasol will always be in the cabinet!

My dad used Rise up to the day he died. I used to use it also until it disappeared. Then I switched to Barbasol and foamy. Didn't like the foamy much and could only get green Barbasol. I then switched to electrics for many years until coming back to a DE. Now I use a brush and soap. I did briefly use the Gillette brush/cream dispenser that existed in the early '80's. It worked pretty good. Anybody else remember that?

I still have a can left over from before I started using soaps, and I still use it from time to time. I think it works well as long as I dilute it a little so it's not too dry.

My dad used Rise up to the day he died. I used to use it also until it disappeared. Then I switched to Barbasol and foamy. Didn't like the foamy much and could only get green Barbasol. I then switched to electrics for many years until coming back to a DE. Now I use a brush and soap. I did briefly use the Gillette brush/cream dispenser that existed in the early '80's. It worked pretty good. Anybody else remember that?

I remember one that would snap on top of a can of foam and heat the foam as it came out? Didn't ever seem to work well in my remembrance but it was my father who actually tried to use it to shave.

No, this was a tube with a shaving brush head, probably synthetic which had a delivery tube in it. You purchased a tube of shaving cream with a screw bottom which fit into the brush-topped tube. The shaving cream was dispensed on the brush by twisting a knurled nob on the bottom od the cream tube and face lathered. As I remember it worked pretty well.

Sometimes I rub Williams on my face and put Barbasol on top of it if I'm in a real hurry. The soap seems to add a little slickness that Barbasol lacks

Barbasol works just fine with milder razors like the Merkur 34 series or the 42C (1904 safety bar) as long as you don't forget to add a bit of water, but I prefer to brush a soap or cream for more aggressive razors like the FaTip's. I used Nivea gel quite a bit when I was shaving with carts, but I never tried it with my DE's. I'd guess that it works really well though because it lathers thick and moisturizes.

Although I generally use shaving soap, brush and mug, I love Barbasol for shaving with my Gillette Trac II or Atra, especially when time is an important factor.
I have tried most all of the aerosol shaving products and found most of them excellent, but Barbasol is my favorite.

My Dad has been a lifelong Barbasol user, but for Father's Day I got him a brush and a tube of Proraso green. I explained the basics, showed him how to soak the brush and, I'm glad to say he got into it and did a test lather right there in the family room!

Interesting thing is that he commented on how he didn't like how the Barbasol foam in a can made his face feel... slightly irritated and dry. But he had never found anything better (at least in terms of foam in a can).

Not wanting to make him go cold turkey on Barbasol all at once, I also bought him some Pacific Rush AS Balm, which he also tried out right then and there and really liked the smell. Even with the irritation/dryness mentioned above, he has never used any AS or balm in all his years.

I remember one that would snap on top of a can of foam and heat the foam as it came out? Didn't ever seem to work well in my remembrance but it was my father who actually tried to use it to shave.

Before I gave up on cartridges and went electric, I had one of those. Mine worked really well, especially on winter mornings. No idea who made the one I had.

Barbasol aerosol shaving cream is a really great product - I do prefer some traditional shaving soaps, with Tabac being my favorite.

I use Barbasol yellow with a DE razor quite a bit, and I get just as great a shave as I do when I whip up some Arko.

Lots of guys in the '60's and '70's regularly used DE razors with canned shaving cream. Of course, people just shaved back then, and didn't make a big production out of it.

Top Bottom