What's new

Any Artisan/Boutique Super Expensive Double Edge Blades?

I find it interesting that a portion of our community will spend up to $500 for high end razor or shaving brush, but the most expensive razor blades are under $0.50 each.

Actually, the vast majority of us use blades that cost less than $0.20 each regardless if you are using a $1000 titanium Wolfman or a $1 Dollar Tree special.

You can spend almost $100 for a tub of shaving soap, but $0.50 Feather and KAI blades are the top of the line.

Has anyone previously tried to market super expensive high end blades? I’m surprised there are no diamond dusted, cyro treated vanadium carbide steel blades costing a couple bucks per blade.

I am just surprised that the only wet shaving product that is still very reasonable across the board are blades.

I find it interesting that a portion of our community will spend up to $500 for high end razor or shaving brush, but the most expensive razor blades are under $0.50 each.

Actually, the vast majority of us use blades that cost less than $0.20 each regardless if you are using a $1000 titanium Wolfman or a $1 Dollar Tree special.

You can spend almost $100 for a tub of shaving soap, but $0.50 Feather and KAI blades are the top of the line.

Has anyone previously tried to market super expensive high end blades? I’m surprised there are no diamond dusted, cyro treated vanadium carbide steel blades costing a couple bucks per blade.

I am just surprised that the only wet shaving product that is still very reasonable across the board are blades.

interesting question!

what is your most expensive boutique shave item?

I paid over 5.00 for a tuck of Polish Wizamet Polsilvers - will give them a try tomorrow.
8F1665D9-7B23-42E4-BD34-519181DB76B3.jpeg

those Super Silvers are also in high demand
1F949831-699A-4BB1-8E90-A69DA99B7422.jpeg

interesting question!

what is your most expensive boutique shave item?
I just ordered a custom Simpson Chubby 2 Silvertip that was fairly expensive. That will be my most expensive.

Beyond that, a $150 brush or a $100 razor maybe? Nothing insane.

That’s what I’m talking about! 👍

You kinda got me curious (and was hunting around a bit). I bet someone could spec out tungsten steel blades to say personna 74 / feather (dimensional) specification for not lunatic amounts of money. It would be a weird experiment. I am not sure it would really make money - but I can't imagine all these people making soap are making a ton of money either. I think even if it breaks even it would be interesting. I think the right person /group to do this would be someone who could cobrand it with a well known modern razor aka Timeless / ATT / Tatara etc..

By the way the MIT guy who wrote that paper on razor blade and hair brittleness said he was patenting certain alloys that balanced the sharp / bendability components .. so who knows maybe there might be something like that in the future as well?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think Vintage blades are the way to go if you want to blow some cash. Light Brigades and Personna 74's fetch a lot more than modern blades. A whole lot more. light brigades are up to around $5 a blade now. You really have to scrounge to find any at even a dollar or two a blade now.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Still no word on artisan blades. The quest continues.
If someone does come up with a true artisan blade fortunes could be made.

Still no word on artisan blades. The quest continues.
If someone does come up with a true artisan blade fortunes could be made.
I think fortunes would be lost to set up a new production line that can match the likes of PPI or Edgewell AND deliver a superior product.

I was thinking more in the line of reruns of "heritage blades" and/or batch production with historic artwork for collectors and aficionados from the big dogs.

DE blades are part of a poor man's shave kit who can't afford cartridges. Who's to make such boutique stuff for a poor man ? :c7:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I think fortunes would be lost to set up a new production line that can match the likes of PPI or Edgewell AND deliver a superior product.

I was thinking more in the line of reruns of "heritage blades" and/or batch production with historic artwork for collectors and aficionados from the big dogs.
You are probably right.

Top Bottom