What's new

Any archers or bowhunters here?

I used to shoot a Howard hill style long bow but moved on to Olympic style recurve. It’s been a few years since I’ve really practised though. I sold my sight and stabilizer set and only shoot barebow when I get the chance to go out.

It is one of my favourite activities though and if I could I would shoot hours on end like I used to lol.

Have you ever seen the Howard Hill film Tembo?
The photography is the worst.
I think he hired a relative instead of a real cameraman.
But nonetheless, he kills an elephant with a single arrow
and a lion with an arrow to its eye.
For the less frightening animals like the python,
the cameraman is able to retain his composure.

And for fans of Groucho Marx, he actually shoots
a hyena in his pajamas.

Have you ever seen the Howard Hill film Tembo?
The photography is the worst.
I think he hired a relative instead of a real cameraman.
But nonetheless, he kills an elephant with a single arrow
and a lion with an arrow to its eye.
For the less frightening animals like the python,
the cameraman is able to retain his composure.

And for fans of Groucho Marx, he actually shoots
a hyena in his pajamas.
I haven’t seen the movie but have heard of it. He was quite the accomplished hunter to say the least. I’ve been tempted to get one of the small children sized longbows for my bows to play with.

I know nothing of crossbows but i want one! Been considering this:
As for recurves i have a few. Last time i chased an arrow down it went across an acre and through both side of a chicken coop

The first time I shot a crossbow, I was surprised by how loud it was.
It actually decreases the effective range, sometimes,
if the sound arrives enough ahead of the bolt for the animal to react.

After hunting with one for a couple years now, I feel like the crossbow adds 5-10 yards to the effective range. It’s Louder, but much faster and more precise with much less practice. A nice scope helps with low light shots compared to my old peep sight. I can use a blind with a bar to rest it on so that is nice. I can surround my son and myself with camo hanging from the bar. We can share one crossbow as well until he can pull a decent compound.

The drawbacks are weight and bulk. Plus I miss the challenge of making a nice bow shot. Practice is much less satisfying, but I need much less practice so that works out if you are low on extra time.

Top Bottom