What's new

Any archers or bowhunters here?

I'm an avid deer hunter and was just trying to see who else drives killing sticks like myself?

Anyhow, I shoot a Mathews Vertix at 60#, 27.5" draw. Also have a Wicked Ridge Warrior Ultra Lite Crossbow. Curious to see who else shoots?

Attachments

• takephoto.jpg
    takephoto.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200126_104903131.jpg
    IMG_20200126_104903131.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
I have a PSE recurve much like your Dad's, but I'm not that great with it. Splitting arrows is tough, ive gotten lucky a few times with my compound, here's a shot of me splitting one personally!

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_120055939.jpg
    IMG_20200126_120055939.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Conventional draw archery was more of an art back in the day. A single fluid draw and release motion. You beaded or sighted your tip as you were drawing into your release. A bit like plucking a harp. And with a 40 or 45 lb. pull, you are discouraged from holding draws anyway.

Compound bows dramatically changed that sport, both competitive target and hunting. And some would say not necessarily for the better.

But I’m glad it still has a following. Brings back good memories.

I used to shoot a Howard hill style long bow but moved on to Olympic style recurve. It’s been a few years since I’ve really practised though. I sold my sight and stabilizer set and only shoot barebow when I get the chance to go out.

It is one of my favourite activities though and if I could I would shoot hours on end like I used to lol.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Traditional archer here. I have a couple of Bear Polar longbows and a Kodiak Hunter I enjoy shooting. I've done a couple local 3D shoots, but haven't had the time to either get serious about competition or get into hunting. Hopefully one of these years. Northern Virginia has a fairly substantial "urban archery" program. Even still, the suburbs here are so full of white tails, they have to bring in snipers to reduce the populations because not enough people bowhunt. It'd be nice to get a piece of that and put some meat in the freezer.

BTW, I 100% disagree that shooting a trad bow is like "plucking a harp". That's a perfect way to miss every time. Ideally, you should just relax your hand and let the string slip from your fingers without consciously releasing it. Sort of like squeezing a trigger slowly so you don't anticipate the rifle firing. Its a lot harder to do than it sounds. Longbows and recurves are fairly demanding of good - and consistent! - form, but that's all part of the fun doing it the old fashioned way. Like wetshaving!

Atlatl chucker here...strictly stumping in the yard at this point.

I have a Golden Eagle Talon and hunted a little for a couple years in the 80’s.

Long bow, traditional recurve, compound, hand bow, and crossbow. My equipment varies. I do targets, hunting, and competitions.

Throw an aspirin in the air and I'll hit it. Most of the time.

tankerjohn

@Scarry Knight now that’s old skool! Have fun.

@Basil don’t we all these days, sir. Can’t think of a better way to pass the time.

@Zig the Pirate Indeed sir! Bryan Ferguson says the center of a aspirin is the same size as the center of a beach ball. I still think I would miss the aspirin.

My brother and I both did the unthinkable and bought crossbows. We are going to use them from our elevated box blinds if the weather is not conducive to sitting in trees. I was not at all sure if I would like this arrangement but they are amazingly accurate. Had to shoot at different bullseyes on the target even at 40 yards! Pretty impressive, but we shall see.

tankerjohn

The Tanker Boys and me out on the 3D course today. Can't beat traditional archery for a day of fun in the woods on a beautiful summer day!

Archery2.png

Atlatl chucker here...strictly stumping in the yard at this point.

I have a Golden Eagle Talon and hunted a little for a couple years in the 80’s.

99 yards is my record throw with an atlatl.
I was on a football field, so it was pretty easy to measure,
and you can be sure I spent some time after that
trying to beat it.

I have 65 # bamboo backed hickory longbow from Rudderbows,
but they don't sell bows anymore. When grayvn said they
were picking up the slack but didn't offer anything heavier than 50#,
I was concerned.
Crows Head offered it in that weight, unfinished only, so
I ordered a backup to the one I have.
I hope the offered weight wasn't a typo.

And now some rambling thoughts on the probable origin on the term "Bullseye" .

A good archery target should be able to catch an arrow.
It should be durable, not too easy to hit, and not too difficult either.

The problem with deer skulls and coyote skulls
is that they get shot to pieces very quickly.
Here's a Coyoteseye picture.

IMG_2888b.jpg

A bull skull is superior, much more durable target.
And I suspect that archers preferred them from
as far back as the time when arrowheads were made of stone.

DSCN0488b.jpg

DSCN0489b.jpg

Top Bottom