What's new

Any archers or bow hunters?

@SteelSchaben That's a beautiful bow, BTW. The Howatt/Martin Hunter one of the all-time best looking recurves. I hear they shoot as good as they look too.

Outstanding accuracy, very forgiving bow. Can group within 6 inches at 15 yards. Good bow, just as good as my old Bear and that was a great bow, until sold under financial duress. 🙁

Some random thoughts on components for Martin Hunter:

My draw is 28.5 so slightly more than 45 lbs, never put it on a scale to test actual.

Martin.jpg

Using the Dyna Flight 97 string has turned it into an even better instrument. Get about 5 fps more than average outta the Bow :clap: . Gonna be honest, D97 (if you can use it on your Bow) is an awesome string, two bundles under 16 strings for a recurve is the recommendation, low creep, stretch is acceptable, durable material, easy to Flemish Braid ,lots of colors. Good stuff.

String.jpg

Using a heavier serving string has allowed finger crawling technique at a rudimentary level.

Server.jpg

Real fur 'Beaver Balls' does reduce the string slap and makes it much quieter.

Beaver.jpg

Bare shaft tuned my target tips with the Easton 75XX. The spine, length, gram weight was correct and grouped at 10, 20 did not bother to tune the Easton Gamesetters mounted with Muzzy Phantom broad heads at a matching grain, they group just as well on 10, 15.

Won't shoot game farther than 10 ish, personal limit. Don't shoot much broad heads for target, unless training/tuning up for hunt...

Last thought: Flemish braiding is not a hard skill to learn, actually quite fun. Anyone can DIY a braiding board/jig with simple materials (Wood plank and finish nails ) , the most you'll spend is for the string.

Last edited:
Earned my Level 1, 4-H Archery Instructor certificate last weekend. I've been a supervised instructor since February. Decided it was time to buy my own bow. I've abused my shoulders big time and my rotator cuffs said no to the recurves I used throughout the sixties and seventies. Found out that a target bow that could handle my 31" plus draw length, shoulder issues (need to keep peak weight below 40 lbs), and not spend over $500 for the full kit was not full of options.
  • Went to three good archery stores and checked out the bows available from the big box retailers.
  • The archery specialty shops had used bows but most of them were for hunting and didn't meet my draw and weight needs.
  • One store had a great used target bow but the draw weight minimum would have destroyed my rotator cuffs.
  • Two of the three recommended a Genesis Gen-X bow. The bow and be adjusted to exceed a 31" draw length; max weight is 40 lbs and easily adjusts down into the 20's; and axel-to-axel length is 35.5 inches. It can be bought with nothing on it but the strings.
I decided to go with a new Gen-X. Price to me fully adjusted, a D-loop, and with my blade rest installed was only $189. That includes the installation of a future sight and tuning adjustments after I've shot a few hundred arrows with the original setup. If I am not happy with the out-of-the-box string the shop will sell me a new string at cost and install it for free when they install the sight.

When the bow comes in they set it up with me present. Once set up they will cut a dozen arrows for me. (Arrows are not part of that $190 price.)

This will get me started and if I am not happy with the bow I can easily sell it for a decent price and buy a "real" target bow.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Earned my Level 1, 4-H Archery Instructor certificate last weekend. I've been a supervised instructor since February. Decided it was time to buy my own bow. I've abused my shoulders big time and my rotator cuffs said no to the recurves I used throughout the sixties and seventies. Found out that a target bow that could handle my 31" plus draw length, shoulder issues (need to keep peak weight below 40 lbs), and not spend over $500 for the full kit was not full of options.
  • Went to three good archery stores and checked out the bows available from the big box retailers.
  • The archery specialty shops had used bows but most of them were for hunting and didn't meet my draw and weight needs.
  • One store had a great used target bow but the draw weight minimum would have destroyed my rotator cuffs.
  • Two of the three recommended a Genesis Gen-X bow. The bow and be adjusted to exceed a 31" draw length; max weight is 40 lbs and easily adjusts down into the 20's; and axel-to-axel length is 35.5 inches. It can be bought with nothing on it but the strings.
I decided to go with a new Gen-X. Price to me fully adjusted, a D-loop, and with my blade rest installed was only $189. That includes the installation of a future sight and tuning adjustments after I've shot a few hundred arrows with the original setup. If I am not happy with the out-of-the-box string the shop will sell me a new string at cost and install it for free when they install the sight.

When the bow comes in they set it up with me present. Once set up they will cut a dozen arrows for me. (Arrows are not part of that $190 price.)

This will get me started and if I am not happy with the bow I can easily sell it for a decent price and buy a "real" target bow.

Great stuff!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Congrats on the new bow! Very cool! I've been a traditional archer for a few years. Its a whole lot of fun and a great activity to clear your mind. Almost meditative. I have a small collection of old Bears - a Polar longbow, Alaskan longbow, and Kodiak Hunter recurve. I've done a few local 3D shoots, but nothing very serious. I would really like to hunt. I didn't grow up hunting, but its something I feel drawn to. Its just hard find time to dedicate to it between work and family. Hopefully this fall.
Agreed- kind of zen-like. Don’t know how I missed this thread. I shoot a PSE Razorback, but already looking for my next bow. The PSE is great, but not exactly a “looker”.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

This is why a pro shop is better than Amazon. You really don’t save money online in this case.

I just began shooting again after a few years off due to an injury. I won't be bow hunting season. It's like starting all over again.
Who knows, I'm older and wiser maybe when it's all said and done I will be improved. My injury wasn't caused by bows.

I'm a self bow shooter, amateur bow maker.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just began shooting again after a few years off due to an injury. I won't be bow hunting season. It's like starting all over again.
Who knows, I'm older and wiser maybe when it's all said and done I will be improved. My injury wasn't caused by bows.

I'm a self bow shooter, amateur bow maker.
Very cool.

Top Bottom