What's new

Any archers or bow hunters?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes sir. Been bow hunting 36 years now. Wouldn’t miss it!

My wife has really been expressing interest in Bow. we were just at Cabela's yesterday looking at some beginner/entry bows from Bear. Quite a bit cheaper then the Mathews the Cabela's sales clerk was trying to push on us. I doubt she would want to bow hunt, so strictly range for her, but I think I just might want too. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have always wanted to take up archery and I finally ordered my first bow -- a Samick Sage 25lb take-down recurve bow. Target shooting for me, not hunting. Hasn't arrived yet, but I am quite excited. Any archers out there?

I have the Samick Sage (#35) and love it. It's a great bow!

Archery requires commitment, I usually start late summer in case I want to hunt.

You undoubtedly did the homework and will like the bow! Good luck.

AA

@Basil I've been doing this awhile so I have alot of bows, kind of like straight razors. My main bow for the last year was made by a good friend of mine and custom bowyer, it's a Prairie Panther. Very nice hunting set up but not what would be considered a target bow.

I certainly have in the past. Compound bows only. I actually loved it. Quiet, deadly, and quite the skill.

When I got more serious about firearms, I kind of just stopped. Rather silly now that I think about it.

I used to live on Lanai bow hunting was what a lot did
we had no bag limit no nothing could just go when we wanted :) I miss that freedom
axis deer tiny but best in the world come off that island
now live in PHX and it all so much to get tags but heard something about bow hunting in certain areas so going to look into it would love to get back into that and for the meat :)

What kind of target did you make?

I got a 12 foot long 2x10 and cut it up to make a box 3x3. I stapled chicken wire across the front and back and then filled it with the plastic wrapping used by companies to ship pallets. I just told the folks at the local auto parts store what I was doing and they saved me all the plastic for a few weeks. I picked it up every two or three days.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats on the new bow! Very cool! I've been a traditional archer for a few years. Its a whole lot of fun and a great activity to clear your mind. Almost meditative. I have a small collection of old Bears - a Polar longbow, Alaskan longbow, and Kodiak Hunter recurve. I've done a few local 3D shoots, but nothing very serious. I would really like to hunt. I didn't grow up hunting, but its something I feel drawn to. Its just hard find time to dedicate to it between work and family. Hopefully this fall.

What kind of target did you make?

I got a 12 foot long 2x10 and cut it up to make a box 3x3. I stapled chicken wire across the front and back and then filled it with the plastic wrapping used by companies to ship pallets. I just told the folks at the local auto parts store what I was doing and they saved me all the plastic for a few weeks. I picked it up every two or three days.
I took a big mesh bag for onions and stuffed it with old pillows. Worked like a charm. I will likely build others. Your idea sounds great.

Congrats on the new bow! Very cool! I've been a traditional archer for a few years. Its a whole lot of fun and a great activity to clear your mind. Almost meditative. I have a small collection of old Bears - a Polar longbow, Alaskan longbow, and Kodiak Hunter recurve. I've done a few local 3D shoots, but nothing very serious. I would really like to hunt. I didn't grow up hunting, but its something I feel drawn to. Its just hard find time to dedicate to it between work and family. Hopefully this fall.
I've been online window shopping and there are some really nice traditional bows on the market. I am not keen on the idea of compound bows. I like the idea of a stick and a string. Some of the English long bows are amazing and works of art. I am even impressed with the look and feel of the Samick Sage. It will be targets for me. My kids would be upset with me if I shot an animal.

Top Bottom