What's new

Any affordable decent brush that doesn't shed?

I have a VIG/Virginia Sheng 2 band that hasn’t shed. Pretty inexpensive.
On the other hand, I have a Virginia Sheng silvertip that loses a couple of hairs each shave. That's why I'm reluctant to say any particular brand or model doesn't shed; there's just too much variability from brush to brush, and I rarely own more than one of any particular brand. Most notably, I've had Simpsons brushes that never shed (like my current Duke 3 and a Duke 2 that I used for years) but I have had a few Dukes that lost 4 or 5 hairs each shave. So are Simpsons brushes shedders?
For what it's worth, none of these brushes have shed at all - Zenith boar, Maggard 2 band, West Coast Shaving silvertip, SOC mixed badger/boar, Yaqi rainbow brown synthetic and the aforementioned Duke 3.

Maggard also sells some good synthetics but they're pretty close to Yaqi's IMO. Especially with the INT shipping cost, it's probably best to get Yaqi synthetics/badgers.

Yaqi has a pronunciation similar to that of 焼き which means cooking or heating in japanese. 焼肉(yakiniku) means roasted meat.
With maggard, yaqi, oumu, and dscosmetic, I think I know an enough number of brands.

Last edited:
If you can find a source of Omega brushes from what I can tell they are a good value. People on here steered me toward a model 10066 brush with boar bristles that has barely shed on me. They can be had for around 10-15 USD.

Yaqi has a pronunciation similar to that of 焼き which means cooking or heating in japanese. 焼肉(yakiniku) means roasted meat.
In an older review thread, someone mentioned that Yaqi is pronounced ya-chee. Here's the relevant post.

Now I'm wondering what the proper pronunciation is. Maybe someone who speaks Chinese can provide some input on this.

On the other hand, I have a Virginia Sheng silvertip that loses a couple of hairs each shave. That's why I'm reluctant to say any particular brand or model doesn't shed; there's just too much variability from brush to brush, and I rarely own more than one of any particular brand. Most notably, I've had Simpsons brushes that never shed (like my current Duke 3 and a Duke 2 that I used for years) but I have had a few Dukes that lost 4 or 5 hairs each shave. So are Simpsons brushes shedders?
For what it's worth, none of these brushes have shed at all - Zenith boar, Maggard 2 band, West Coast Shaving silvertip, SOC mixed badger/boar, Yaqi rainbow brown synthetic and the aforementioned Duke 3.

Agreed. OTOH, I have a Duke3 that unleashes between 5 and 12 hairs every shave. I’ve also had a knot crack in three places and fall out on a brush that never shed (bought on BST unfortunately). Otherwise, that brand is terrific. My data is all anecdotal.

In an older review thread, someone mentioned that Yaqi is pronounced ya-chee. Here's the relevant post.

Now I'm wondering what the proper pronunciation is...
The last imperial dynasty in China was the Ch'ing dynasty, also spelt Qing. Usually pronounced as a soft 'ch' sound: ching or tching. This spelling is just a way to represent Chinese sounds with Roman letters. This 'Q' is not the same as the English 'Q'.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My shaving brush sheds 1~3 hairs every shave. At this rate, it's going to become unuseable in a few years.
I'm looking for a new affordable brush that will not shed. Can you recommend any?
I have used an Omega 10048 almost daily for 11 years with no shedding problems. They are inexpensive, available on Amazon and are quite inexpensive. I keep two in reserve in case of a brush burglar.

Top Bottom