What's new

Anvils

I've been collecting anvils for about 45 years. I've got 15 in my collection, the last one I bought was about 25 years ago.
Because, you see, just like the song says "I was country, when country wasn't cool". lol

So, to show you how serious I am about anvils, the first pic I will post below is my front gate, that I made in my shop, about 10 years ago. My second credential is the fact that I have been a farrier for 45 years, made my living with an anvil, and have 8 orthopedic surgeries to prove it. 4 on my hands,( including both thumb joints replaced), both elbows, shoulder, two trigger finger surgeries, and a knee.

Somebody was inquiring about the price of anvils. Well, because of inflation in general, and particularly because of the the show "Forged In Fire", anvil prices have risen. The only way I know this is because I belong to a couple anvil groups on Facebook and that is what is being reported. I haven't bought an anvil in 25 years, and I got most of mine for a song and a dance.

The price of an anvil varies according to location, condition, whether it is an antique collectible, or a user.
Those anvil groups all talk about the "price per pound". I personally think this is silly. It's like talking about the price of beef.
Are you looking at ground beef, stew meat, ribeye steak, or fillet mignon?

So much bad advice on those FB anvil pages that I refer to them as "lambs to the slaughter"

Another BIG mistake that people make is that they think bigger is better.
Unless you are an industrial blacksmith, most people don't need more than 100lb anvil.
They should concern themselves with shape, balance, materials, and condition.

That said, I have three 300lb anvils. Two Hay Budden, and a Peter Wright.
The Hay Budden's are beautiful antique collectibles and users. But remember the circles I travel in, and how long I've been in this arena. The Peter Wright (English) is an antique collectible, highly valued, but I don't consider it a user for me because I don't like the shape and the condition is only so so.

So I will post up my three big anvils, but remember, when I go out to the shop, I almost certainly go to the SCOTT 105 tapered heel. I'll post that one up below as well

The SCOTT 105 performs like an anvil three times its size. It is balanced, has great center mass, a wide face, a large, beautiful, horn that is tapered proportionately and to a fine point. You can move it easily. Outstanding materials; mine has been used HARD daily for 25 years and there is hardly a mark on it. No wasted space, all usable, including the supported heel. A real gem.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask, or join a couple of the anvil groups on Facebook where the advice flows freely from experts that have watched at least 3 episodes of Forged In Fire.
P1020052.JPG
IMG_0234.jpeg
P1020200.JPG
P1020245.JPG
P1020439.JPG
P1020440.JPG

Legion

Staff member
I have this 45kg Aussie made anvil, and one day, when time and money allows, I'm going to build a gas forge in the shed.

Yep, Forged In Fire, though I've been reading about knife making for years before that show. I've just never had the space for it until now.

6D1EF24D-1DE5-4013-9211-4B718815DD21.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Knife making is one the things I want to get into when I retire. IF I retire lol. Nice collection!

I have this 45kg Aussie made anvil, and one day, when time and money allows, I'm going to build a gas forge in the shed.

Yep, Forged In Fire, though I've been reading about knife making for years before that show. I've just never had the space for it until now.

View attachment 1613185
You won't be able to forge any round shapes with that flat horn, but won't need to with knife making. That anvil is like a "Sawyer" anvil with a tapered heel.

165lb Trenton. These anvils were made in Columbus, Ohio and this one dates to 1908.
Hay Budden and Trenton anvils have serial numbers on them and can be looked up to date.
This is a very nice anvil and highly collectible, but doesn’t make my rotation because of my tastes. Kinda like you guys and your razor expertise. Lol

Pictured here with my Anvil Elf who watches over my collection.

Attachments

• DD329E58-A6D6-40D2-9414-A33EA1980E5E.jpeg
    DD329E58-A6D6-40D2-9414-A33EA1980E5E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve got a mouse hole Forge anvil and an old Peter Wright that’s been in the family a long time. Don’t use them much at the moment but plan too some day.

Top Bottom