What's new

Antique stores... you gotta make the effort!

Great stories, gents.
I have had much more frustration than success in antique shops, but I did venture into a previously barren shop last weekend, and happened to stumble across an apparently excellent-condition Slim wedged into a Fatboy case and--best of all--a cased Red Tip that was incredibly cruddy but possible in excellent condition (all paint on the tip was intact). I can't wait to clean them!

I was bored today so I hit the Montgomery Antique Mall. It is famous for being ridiculously overpriced so my expectations were low. One of the first cases I hit I saw a Krona for $50, a Tech for $40, a Superspeed for $40 and the steal of the bunch... a Slim for $50. All are shaver-grade, uncased.

I turned around and walked out.

Walked into a flea market this morning...the usual new made in China junk and beanie babies filled most of the place, you probably know how it is. But way back in a back room, a spry elderly lady had some genuine old stuff. Two razors: a black handled Schick inj. from the '40s, and a 1912 Gem. Nothing special, I've got several duplicates of both at home. The brassy Gem was marked $25, far more than it's worth. The tag on the Schick was turned down so I asked to see what she wanted for it. As she unlocks the case she says, pointing to the Gem, "You sure you don't want to see THIS one? It's an antique!" I said I'm familiar with that one, thanks, let me see the other. She's still talking about the Gem: "Know how old it is?" she asks, why I do not know...testing me, maybe. "Around 1910, 1912, or so." "NO!" she barks, "Earlier! I can tell from the pattern on the handle!" she pronounces with a note of pride. (it was the chain link pattern, btw). Whatever, I nodded. The Schick was severely torqued at the rivet; could have been bent back into shape with no problem but it was not worth the $15 it was tagged. I gave it back to her, suggesting she may want to gently bend the neck back into a straight line (held it up for her to see what I'm talking about). You'd have thought I asked her to clean my toejam, "I am NOT going to touch it! That's an original!" Okay, so long, bye, good luck, enjoy your impending senility.

Upside: on Saturday I found 3 full to half-full bottles of Shulton OS for a pittance, and a clean as a whistle Schick type L for 50 cents. All in all, weekend was OK.

Last edited:
I check EVERY drawer and shelf in my local antique store.

Yup, that's usually where the payoffs are. Found a full, boxed bottle of something called Millionaire cologne in just such a spot. Gave a buck for it; someone on eebay wanted it fifty times as bad. Had I not looked in that dark cabinet corner I'd have never seen it, right next to that sealed case of Old Spice soap and Shulton Herbal a/s (kidding) :lol:

Right now, in a shoddy little jewelry box in an ignored aisle of an antique mall are two Blue Ladies and two bar handle Techs. Each is marked $3, since none are in great shape, but I bet I'm the only person who has looked inside and found them since they've been there a year now.

Hounding, scrounging, digging...that's the fun.

Oh how I wish we had the same types of shops up here in the great white north... My visits to the antique shops have gone along the lines of "why would you want one?" flea markets - nothing much (did get a nice old spice mug). Thrift stores apparently get tons of em - and trash them, wont resell as a "health risk"... :( perhaps I need to make a US road trip :)

Re: Old Spice mugs

I can't tell for sure if any OS mug is in general demand, or only specific ones. I see the taller, older ones and newer ones from time to time but don't want to get stuck with one if I buy it and no one wants it. Any thoughts?

Been a good week.

Locally found a nice D-2 SS in a nice Milord case, a long handled W-1 Super Adjustable and a like new gold plated red and black set.

On the bay I found a lot of Made in England razors, an aluminum handled tech and a nickel plated brass handled tech, a flair tip rocket, an Aristocrat Jr and a white handled G2000.

Also got a selfless tip from another B&Ber, Brian DiPalma, about a good deal for some Derby blades. Got a box of 95 Derby blades and the seller threw in a Super Speed to sweeten the deal. Date code was V-3, brassy head bottom but good deal I thought.

Another ebay find this week F-4, 9 position bottom dial.

Yeah ....not a bad week come to think of it....LOL

Last edited:
Here's a question: What do y'all say/ask vendors/sellers? Do you "let on" you know what you are talking about?

When I walk the flea markets, I look at the tables to see if I should ask about razors. If they have everything new or are re-selling stuff, I tend to skip over. Same with people who are just clearing out their garage. It's semi easy to see if there is anything on the table older than the 1980's. But anything with some older stuff, I always ask "You have any of the old Gillette razors or shaving stuff?" I sometimes have to go into an explanation of what I mean, then I get these looks. Around two years ago, I was assembling a kit for my Father for Father's day, so that was a good excuse to why I was looking. Now I just explain that I started shaving, and y'all recommend this razor or offer one on BST that I can't turn down, and my collection just keeps growing. I try not to let on I know as much as I do, because some vendors are like vultures, and some are plain delusional. They sense your knowledge, and they think they can prey on you, because they think you may be trying to get over on them. I admit, it's tough to turn down some razors despite the price, because you don't want to chance losing it forever. But as above, sometimes there's a few razors, and you have to admit you know about them because someone wants $30 for a unboxed no-blade Durham Duplex, and you have to explain they don't make blades for them anymore. Maybe I'm just horrible at haggling, I don't know.

Speaking of plain delusional, how do y'all deal with truly crazy vendors, especially if they have stuff you like? In the two flea markets I go to, each has a indoor antique dealer. One is very nice guy and will move anything to let you see something better. Great guy who gave me a great deal on some full bottles of Old Spice still in the box and also has given me a razor from time to time when he sees them. At the other flea market is someone who insists everything white is "ivory" and a straight razor with a curved blade is "perfect for shaving". He'll also drag you around showing you things because "he knows he saw a razor this morning", and he's trying to find it while showing you everything you saw a week before. I always hope someone interested in something latches onto him so I can RUN for my car.

Here's a question: What do y'all say/ask vendors/sellers?

"Got any safety razors?"

Most know what that means. If they don't, I elaborate, describing a Gillette TTO. Most vendors already have straights for sale, sometimes by the dozens, so they're disappointed when I specify safeties. DEs are getting tougher to come by, SEs always pretty common, injectors very rarely turn up at fleas (at least around here).

Do you "let on" you know what you are talking about?
Almost never; in fact I can't remember ever having the opportunity to be an authority, even if I wanted to be. Vendors I deal with tend to not care either way. They just want the tag price or (on a lucky day) maybe a couple bucks less depending on how bad they need the sale.

Incidentally, recently I went into the absolute lowest flea market I'd ever been in - and that's saying something. I told my wife to not come in and drive elsewhere for awhile, it's that shady. A lot like Mos Eisley's - wretched hive of scum and villainy, for sure. At least 1/3 of the goods inside had to be hot. I could have gotten mugged but at least I got a clean 50 cent Schick out of it. :biggrin1: :001_huh:

Maybe I'm just horrible at haggling, I don't know.
I'm not the best at it either, but I've learned to remind myself that whatever they're asking for an item, they have less* in it than that. So if it's higher than I want to pay outright, I just shoot them an offer in a flat, take-it-or-leave-it tone. If they know it's an essentially obsolete item, like the Durham you describe, usually they'll take your price because they know you'll walk.

*However, if they overpaid on whatever it is, and want their money back Hell or high water...or they're just ignorant and think "It's an antique!" therefore worth a ton...then they'll probably blow you off and wait for the magic crazy person who'll give them $25 for their "one of a kind" brassy, corroded 1912 SE.

Last edited:
I'm not the best at it either, but I've learned to remind myself that whatever they're asking for an item, they have less* in it than that. So if it's higher than I want to pay outright, I just shoot them an offer in a flat, take-it-or-leave-it tone. If they know it's an essentially obsolete item, like the Durham you describe, usually they'll take your price because they know you'll walk.

*However, if they overpaid on whatever it is, and want their money back Hell or high water...or they're just ignorant and think "It's an antique!" therefore worth a ton...then they'll probably blow you off and wait for the magic crazy person who'll give them $25 for their "one of a kind" brassy, corroded 1912 SE.

I also make a point of knowing what the tables cost per day at the market. That way I can be honest and say, "hey, this $10 will pay your rent on this table for today, so it'll make the whole day "even"".

Been a good week. <snip> (describes bunches of nice razor finds . . . representing small amounts of money) <snip>

Another ebay find this week F-4, 9 position bottom dial.

Yeah ....not a bad week come to think of it....LOL

. . . from the master of understatement!!! :tongue_sm

Tom, you did well this week!!! Congrats, my friend!! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom