What's new

Antique stores... you gotta make the effort!

A lot of us have had good luck in antique stores, ferreting out classic gems (and even Gems :wink2:) of the past. We all dream of the sort of luck BuddyDog has had recently (a Red Dot, then super deals on a couple of Presidents and a Fat Boy). But it doesn't always go that way. Just like anything else, you may well have to invest some time.

On my way back to Detroit from Oswego NY (a work trip, going back in a week and a half), I started searching antique shops on the smart phone. Found a great little shop Friday just outside of my destination town, so I called (they were just closed, had just gotten some razors in, and said they'd wait for me).

I got there and had a look. A nice 1920 Single Ring (they'd just called a regular Customer who buys a lot of their razors too). Since I've got so many Single Rings, and this was a later one (priced nicely at $10), I decided to leave it for their regular. Nothing else remarkable, other than a late pretty clean and un-cracked Old Type in gold (mostly brass I think though). I ended up leaving with a nice Schick Ever Sharp (none of these were cased) for $5 and called it a day (also discussed a half dozen other antique shops with the owner, some on my route and some not).

Spent the night in Syracuse, primary purpose to hit the Syracuse Antique Exchange on Saturday. 4 floors of different vendors (the lady at the last shop said she doubted I'd find anything there, but to check with Rose, one of the vendors). A Gentleman on the phone the day before had told me they had them scattered around the shop.

After walking the 4 floors, I found not one single safety razor! I did find one box I suspect contained a straight (no knowledge there yet, not buying them). Nada. Zilch. A man asked me if I'd found anything (I'd not asked anyone yet), and I told him what I was looking for. He took me to Rose, saying if there were any, she'd have them. Rose, a sweet elderly lady in her 80's, said she'd had some but was sorry, she'd sold them. I smiled telling here that's why she was there, to sell them :wink2:.

So nothing in Syracuse. Down the highway I go. A few times near small towns, I'd run an "Antiques" search on the smart phone to see what was near by. I called one shop, he said he had a case with a few in it. Some shavers, some real clean cased examples. Asking what exit, I realized I had already passed it. I marked it in the phone, for hopefully a stop on the way back.

I made another search a bit further, still in NY State. Spoke to one shop, he suggested another. I called, again was told there were several scattered around the shop with different vendors. This one took some doing. Quite a ways off the thruway, and I needed directions (no address showed for the GPS). Going through a large store, I found only one razor. It was a Gem 1924 (a bit scratched on top) which I didn't need (already have a nicer one). But it was in a VERY nicely preserved 46/47 (I think-I've never seen them in this red color though) Aristocrat case, pristine on the inside, and complete with an immaculate gold blade holder filled with wrapped new Gillette Blue Blades. Price was $16. When I pointed out my lack of interest explaining the incorrect razor, the lady asked "how about $10". Sold. :wink2:. Off to the shop across the street. It turned out, there were three antique shops all within sight of each other at this little crossroads in the middle of rural Upstate New York.

Second shop, I again spot almost nothing. In fact, a nice Schick injector, with the injector, in a box.... but the top of the box was gone (too bad!). Price of $35 (20% off I think she said). Moving on. I spotted an ABC case. Empty, but the interior is pretty clean. It's an Empire pattern, but is dented/twisted rather seriously. Marked at $15, I find out it's 20% off. For $12, I still think I'll pass (the denting/twisting). Then, I change my mind, thinking the deformity is just such that I might be able to straighten it about (incidentally, I am not sure if this is tarnished silver plate, or worn gun metal finish- pics will be forthcoming).

The lady helping me went on a search, and came back with one I'd missed. It was a Gem 1912, gold plated with a plastic handle. It was in the plastic case with the sliding top, and complete with instructions and a very clean shipper box. Unfortunately, the handle and head inside were not that clean (not really bad though) and it just didn't grab me. $35 asking price, 25% off. I still passed on that one.

Last of these shops was furniture only. So, back on the road. The highlight really was seeing a bull that had gotten loose running down the road with traffic on the way to these 3 shops :laugh:. There was one shop I'd spotted a billboard for en route to Oswego early in the week, got back that way too late. It's on the list for the trip back.

All told, an extra day (and night) for the trip, and a couple hundred miles added. Two razors, and two other cases found. Not a great haul, no stupendous bargains. But that's the point of this post. It rarely comes easy to anyone (except maybe BuddyDog? :001_tongu). It's something that requires search, and effort. Yep, I did get a $3 '40's Tech in great shape in my first search. And I once found an $8 Fat Boy that cleaned up great in one. And I passed on a $10 cased New in great shape (kicking myself, went back a few weeks later for it, it was gone). But just like eBay this takes work. Even on the BST, it requires one to search a bit. And while good deals can be had there, you're far more likely to pay a "fair" price than get a bargain.

I think all these and more are good sources for collection building. For the most part, I've had my best luck on eBay. But there, antique shops, anywhere really, you gotta make the effort!

+1 on effort.
I have the best luck in places that aren't big enough to pay for advertising in the phone book. Small town shops that you have to seek out.

Well put.
Like Lemmy says,"you know the chase is better than the catch.":a5:
;)

I really enjoy the hunt, even when I don`t find anything. It makes finding something that much more enjoyable.

You have to have more than one reason to look in all those places.I don't just look for razors.You should see the great vintage fedoras I have,some real treasures.:biggrin1:

I picked up a Gillette Travel Razor in a Powder blue zipper case with 3 still in the wrapper blades all for 8 dollars.

You have to have more than one reason to look in all those places.I don't just look for razors.You should see the great vintage fedoras I have,some real treasures.:biggrin1:

I collect vintage Fountain Pens too, but in this case, I saw nothing (pens are a popular collectible, I imagine they've been snatched up). Good idea on the hats!

+1 on effort.
I have the best luck in places that aren't big enough to pay for advertising in the phone book. Small town shops that you have to seek out.

This is the truth, I stumbled upon a slim that cleaned up beautifully for $2 in a shop just like this.

So, you're the guy who cleaned out all the shops in East Bloomfield !

It's a wonder we didn't run into one another.

Great post.

Great story T Rick.

Last fall my wife and I made the 650 mile trip to spend Thanksgiving with my mother. After a lovely holiday, as planned my wife and I took the long way home to our "undisclosed location". We spent a week following a major waterway in North America to get home, stopping at every large and small antique Mall or Shop and second hand store along the way. Half the places said there was a guy in just a couple days ago that bought all the razors. (We've all heard that one before right.) After a couple days of this I was getting kinda bummed, after all "that guy" was having my vacation finding all the razors....LOL

We had a good vacation and enjoyed the long way home even if I did return almost empty handed. Second day back at work I stopped by a flea market during lunch just 10 miles from home and found my bucket of razors.

Motto: Never stop looking.

PS. Except for buddydog, he can stop looking anytime now.....LOL

i've pretty much stopped buying safety razors since I have all I need at the moment. however, I still plan on stopping by those random small town antique stores to see what gems I can find. i'm hoping i'll have one of those moments where I stumble across a mint condition razor for dirt cheap.

Sometimes you find some real treasures. Other times it's a bust. You should also ask the shopkeeper if they have what you want in the back.

I found another vintage OS mug with soap (opened) and an excellent E3 fatboy at the antique shop in Brenham I visit regularly. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom