What's new

Antique store vs. eBay

Would you expect to pay eBay auction prices in an antique store? I had an encounter where a store owner had a bag of unpriced razors. When asked about price he told me he hadn't had time to sort through them and price them.

I went through the lot and found two matching adoration 292s and a w&b that was post 1890 but don't know much else about. The adorations are generally in good shape but need more than honing. The w&b had an angular spine, the scales were plastic but shot, and it was over honed with a slight frown. I asked to purchase those three. Again no price given, so I offered what I think was a fair price. I was flat out refused, asked for my phone number, and told he would look online and call me with a price. He literally told me that I obviously knew more than him and must have picked the best ones, now he would research them.

We'll not the best experience and I left a bit pissed. Still waiting for the call, but not optimistic. Maybe he finds w&b razors that are going for 100s of dollars and prices out the adoration deluxe razors. Even if he finds appropriate comps on eBay, my offer was about 60%-70% of the average auction price. My question is, in general do you feel you should pay less than an auction site for the same item in an antique store?

I've had it go both ways - I've paid $25 at an antique store for a razor that would easily go for $150 on ebay and I've seen $90 blades on ebay that I wouldn't pay $12 for. Most antique dealers know next to nothing about straights. They see a high dollar sale and figure their item is the same so...

Point out the flaws and that it's going to take work to get it into shaving shape. He may not go for it at first but when they're laying around the shop for a couple months he may get back to you.

Hit or miss. I would pay more than I would on ebay as its in my hand and I can inspect it. One real look is worth a thousand words. And a picture doesnt show everything.

Can't blame him for wanting to get the right price for his items, but it sounds like he was a bit rude in the way he handled his business, I think I would simply walk away from this one (and its pretty sure that he will ask you more than what you offered already).

I had a similar situation a few months ago where an antique shop owner tried to sell me a German souvenir set for $800. I told him I would get back to him, but I knew it wasn't worth it. At the same time, I talked him out of 5 razors (3 NOS, and 2 that needed a little love) for around $150. I'll go back in a few weeks and see if he wants to deal. More of the time than not I let them know the process that it takes to get them cleaned up and shave ready, and that if they want them to sell for the good prices like ebay, that they're going to need that care and they generally deal a lot closer to my asking price.

I rather shop antique stores all day. Most if the time it's better deals and the owners really don't know what anything is worth. I stopped at an antique store last weekend and the owner said he sells them for 3-15 dollars when he gets them. He sold a mint boker tree king cutter for $5. I bid up to $60 for one of those on eBay and still lost.

my local store that has straights seems to ask pretty high ($40-55) for some that need far more than just a hone. I really want one to experiment with, but I am not paying $50 for a project blade.

With guys like that, I offer to buy the whole bag for what I would pay for the three. Lot prices are always best. He'll think he's slaying you for buying all the obvious rusty crap. I've bought lots of 20 from junk stores and thrown 7-8 away as soon as I get outside: When you buy wheat you pay for the chaff, too, eh.

Could still work out for you, tho, just getting dibs is a nice bonus!

Top Bottom