What's new

Antique store goodies and a couple of questions

Hello, all. I went for a ride to check out an antique store this weekend and found some great stuff. I picked up a Rex pure badger brush that I'm sure was never used, an Old Spice Hull pottery 03, and an Old Spice Wheaton late glass 02 for $5 a piece and a great Eric Anton Berg in ivory for $9(marked down from $18). I thought the berg had rust around the pivot, but on closer inspection, it's a thick sticky reddish grease that I'm having a really tough time cleaning off. I tried soaking in hot water with dawn dish soap, but it didn't do much. Most of what I got off I had to scrape. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions to help get this stuff out cause its really gumming up the pivot on what's an otherwise great razor. I also noticed that after cleaning up the old brush it has a nice bloom, but hardly any backbone at all. I've noticed this on several other vintage badgers. Are they all like this or am I just (un?)lucky? Pictures to come! Thanks!

Try windex, alcohol, or dish soap and tooth floss and a toothbrush to clean the pivot ... Do not use acetone... I'd try dish soap with floss first with hot water...

As for the brush hair will biodegrade after time... Looses backbone

Floss. That's awesome. I never would have thought of something so simple. I bet it will work perfectly too. Thanks Hees, you're a lifesaver.

Try windex, alcohol, or dish soap and tooth floss and a toothbrush to clean the pivot ... Do not use acetone... I'd try dish soap with floss first with hot water...

As for the brush hair will biodegrade after time... Looses backbone

Maybe a little vodka in your WaterPic and start on One. Reminds me of Private Benjamin.

Pictures! We demand pictuers!!

Use dental picks for probing/cleaning. Carburetor cleaner. That's what I use on guns to remove cosmoline and that goo is about as sticky as it gets.

Pictures! We demand pictuers!!

Use dental picks for probing/cleaning. Carburetor cleaner. That's what I use on guns to remove cosmoline and that goo is about as sticky as it gets.

Would carb cleaner be safe for the ivory? What is and what isn't? Some kind of industrial strength degreaser would be great, but I'm afraid ill mess it up.

Pics!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom