What's new

Antique store find - Check out this beauty!

So recently I purchased a box of pretty random and odd shaving gear held for me by one of our local antique dealers. My favorite item is this awesome Holley & Co. Chopper. It's a triple inset box with an attached strop. This baby is glorious and heavy! Measures at 7/8 and looks to be in very fine and easily restorable shape. Might just need to be honed. Couldn't find a ton on the company, but apparently they are the oldest knife manufacturer in the US...and the markings place the manufacture date somewhere in the 1840's. I don't know the scale material, but the end looks capped with hand beaten silver and has a mother of pearl inset. (Tried to get a close up but I never realized how difficult it is to zoom on MOP.) Haven't seen much like it. I think I'm going to keep the vintage look and probably just get it cleaned up a bit and honed, but thought you guys might like a few pics.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 307
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 305
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 305
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 308
Some pics of the triple-inlay box. The outside box has the description and how to use the strop. The second box has the leather strop attached to the box itself and the third is a slide out drawer for the straight itself.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 289
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 287
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 285
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 285
Wow!! That's a totally cool set. Congrats. I love Sunday nights and Mondays here when members post their weekend finds. My favorite posts.

Wow!! That's a totally cool set. Congrats. I love Sunday nights and Mondays here when members post their weekend finds. My favorite posts.

I normally can't wait till the night. Normally post pics when I get in the car. Lol

Those scales are amazing. The whole setup is very sweet though. Nice score.

That's a once in a lifetime find. It's in too nice of shape to do too much too it. A light cleaning and honing, and you'll have a lifetime shaver to pass down the generations.

I love antique shops!
If I were you, I'd take some Mother's and polish that blade and tang for 30 or 40 minutes. From what I can see, the blade will probably end up looking brand new. Lovely find. Congrats!

That's the fun of hunting the antique shops, flea markets etc.. Ya never know what will show up! Congrats, great catch on that one! I'm sure you will enjoy....happy hunting:thumbup:

Top Bottom