What's new

Antique scuttle anyone?

I have been looking at purchasing an antique scuttle to go with my straight razors. The ones where a brush and water goes in the bottom and there is a portion for a puck of soap with drain holes in the top.

Does anyone out there still use these? I would have to assume you keep the brush warm and wet in the lower portion and keep the soap in the upper for loading and then face lather?

It may sound weird, but I think it's cool being able to use these old tools. It's almost like a trip in time. So adding one more element to the mix would increase the fun!

Thanks!!

You have the general idea. The bottom is for wetting to brush, but not necessarily to hold one. Some English soap makers sell soaps specifically for the old scuttle style mugs. They even sell new mugs.

Soap pucks need to be 2 to 2.5 ounces. Soft artisan soaps can simply be pressed in. Glycerin based soaps can be gently warmed to be pressed in. The holes are usually covered up by the soap.

JD

I admit I never owned nor used an "antique scuttle". I read about them and I believe they are nothing but a brain fart.
That being said, I own and use modern scuttles, for the benefit of shaving with a warm lather.

I use one if feeling nostalgic.

20200719_082815.jpg

looking at the date stamp im due for another on a Sunday sometime soon.

camo

very good thread on this:
I have an antique scuttle, but much prefer the modern "lather warmer" design scuttles.

very good thread on this:
I have an antique scuttle, but much prefer the modern "lather warmer" design scuttles.
Just skip to post #33 and read the two Patents. Half the posts are just speculation that are way off from the original intent of the designs.

JD

Top Bottom