What's new

Antique mall finds

Hadn't had a chance to wander the antique malls in my town lately due to work. Rarely find anything in the anyways so I got discouraged for awhile. Today I found some pretty good finds, nothing mind blowing but decent for my area.

Found two Gillettes, both super speeds, one a blue tip. They are both C1 which I found pretty cool. Also found a couple of Schick injector razors. With my continued search of the perfect lather bowl I picked up a couple Campbell soup bowls to try out.

Nice score, Nathan. I seem to get more enjoyment from things I find "in the wild," as opposed to the auction websites. But, then again, I like looking at old junk. :biggrin1:

Nice finds indeed. It's rare to find shaving stuff at my local antique malls, and most times, what you find is not worth the asking price (old type with a completely cracked handle and 50% plated for $55... score!). The blue tip looks like it cleaned up nice.

Nice score, Nathan. I seem to get more enjoyment from things I find "in the wild," as opposed to the auction websites. But, then again, I like looking at old junk. :biggrin1:

I'm in complete agreement with the enjoyment of finding stuff in the wild. The landscape has changed over the years with much of what used to be junk now evolved into antiques, but there's still plenty to be rummaged through.

Nice finds indeed. It's rare to find shaving stuff at my local antique malls, and most times, what you find is not worth the asking price (old type with a completely cracked handle and 50% plated for $55... score!).

I agree with you on that, I call it Ebay pricing. It's one of those things were I swear the owner gets on there, see how much they have sold for and puts that price on it. I've seen lots of that while out on my hunts. It's like they haven't figured out that they shouldn't price their items off of a international website where people bid against one another for the item. Especially when it's going to be sitting in a case in an antique mall in the middle of a small town. It's either that or they just don't want to sell it.

Last edited:
I agree with you on that, I call it Ebay pricing. It's one of those things were I swear the owner gets on there, see how much they have sold for and puts that price on it. I've seen lots of that while out on my hunts. It's like they haven't figured out that they shouldn't price their items off of a international website where people bid against one another for the item. Especially when it's going to be sitting in a case in an antique mall in the middle of a small town. It's either that or they just don't want to sell it.

I pretty much agree. If you have an opportunity to speak with the vendors, in most instances I've found out pretty quickly that they really don't know what they have and have priced it based on what they believe to be a like item seen on an auction site. If they stumble upon a completed sale of a pristine double ring Old Type, they'll price their beat up single ring with a cracked handle and bent or missing teeth in that same range. I think it's also human nature to want to avoid being the guy who sold an old painting he found in his attic for next to nothing at a yard sale, only to learn later that it was a Picasso.

I see a lot of the online bases pricing too. Yesterday wasn't the case, walked out of the store with everything for under $20. I going to give two or three razors away to a couple friends and in a upcoming pif I am putting for. The bowls will either turn out to be great lathering bowls or casual eating bowls. I found several brushes but didn't pick any up, although I'm sure someone would have wanted them. Even almost picked up a vintage tin coin bank, but decided against it for now.

Off today to check out some yard sales. Maybe there is an Old double ring out there for $5. The fun is in the hunt!!

Top Bottom