What's new

Antiperspirant...

Hey all! I see the deodorant threads when searched, but not much on anti perspirant. I'm a big guy, and not grossly sweaty but do sweat enough that I consider antiperspirant my "choice" daily. I know the aluminum being linked to Alzheimers, disease, etc. is speculative, but the more natural, the better, I'm sure whether it's statistically accurate or not. With that said, I've tried Native and Schmidt's which both gave me pretty bad rashes, and my normal go tos are Mitchum and Dove. Are there any better options? I figured if my shaving is getting such attention, might as well take better care of the rest of me while I'm at it.

Thanks!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hey all! I see the deodorant threads when searched, but not much on anti perspirant. I'm a big guy, and not grossly sweaty but do sweat enough that I consider antiperspirant my "choice" daily. I know the aluminum being linked to Alzheimers, disease, etc. is speculative, but the more natural, the better, I'm sure whether it's statistically accurate or not. With that said, I've tried Native and Schmidt's which both gave me pretty bad rashes, and my normal go tos are Mitchum and Dove. Are there any better options? I figured if my shaving is getting such attention, might as well take better care of the rest of me while I'm at it.

Thanks!
I thought similar about the aluminium but I have suffered with rashes under my arms for many years. I found Nivea Sensitive works well for me. It is a spray not a roll on. I have branched out into other types of Nivea with some rash forming if I use one particular type for too many days in a row. I also found that Rexona Men Sensitive works well for me to, with no rash developing. I must admit that I change mine around most days to try to keep any rash from starting.

I trim down my pit hair with the blending guard on my clippers and then use witch hazel and a Thai Deodorant Stone. It eliminates odor and without the hair it seems like things stay drier than before.

Fiend606 is correct about trimming down the hair helping the problem. I too have problems with many APs causing a rash. Even many deodorants cause a rash. Someone earlier suggested Toms. I found that to be one of the most irritating. As far as APs go, Sure unscented seems to work well. For deodorants Speed Stick is the best solid I have found. Clubman Supreme has been an excellent spray deodorant as well. There are several "crystal" deodorants out there as well. They mostly seem to be one form of Alum or another though.

my bad on the tom’s, i didnt know it was causing irritation. i use the both the deo and antiperspirant without issue. i guess i got lucky its not giving me grief.

Arm & Hammer Ultramax Powder Fresh is all I buy. Mild odor, and like a body powder. Zero irritation or itching. Everything else I've tried or sniffed reminds me of the chemical warfare effects lingering in a locker room. Disgusting.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I tell you what, I regret buying Old Spice Dynasty antiperspirant! It smells good and all, but wow does it make my arm pits itch. Doesn't a big company like theirs test their stuff before sending the product out for mass market?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I tell you what, I regret buying Old Spice Dynasty antiperspirant! It smells good and all, but wow does it make my arm pits itch. Doesn't a big company like theirs test their stuff before sending the product out for mass market?
They certainly do test products before releasing them onto the market. It sounds to me like you are allergic to one of the ingredients in the product. I have tried many anti-perspirants and deodorants over the years and almost all of them give me itchy red armpits. I have found that currently Nivea and some Rexona Anti-perspirants are about the only ones that I can use without breaking out into itchy redness.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

They certainly do test products before releasing them onto the market. It sounds to me like you are allergic to one of the ingredients in the product. I have tried many anti-perspirants and deodorants over the years and almost all of them give me itchy red armpits. I have found that currently Nivea and some Rexona Anti-perspirants are about the only ones that I can use without breaking out into itchy redness.

Thank you!

I've used deodorant for most of my life, I don't seem to have issues with those. But this antiperspirant is white in color, thick pasty like stuff, and I got some noticeable redness.

Thanks for the product recommendation, I'll have to look into the Nivea and Rexona. Stores always running out of stuff during these supply shortages, which makes it hard this buy what I prefer.

That's how I got into this mess. There is always an ample supply of antiperspirants on the market, but so little deodorant.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Some members here actually use an Alum Block as deodorant, anti-perspirant. It apparently works well for them. I have not tried it so I cannot comment on this use of an Alum Block.

Some members here actually use an Alum Block as deodorant, anti-perspirant. It apparently works well for them. I have not tried it so I cannot comment on this use of an Alum Block.
Alum applied to damp skin kills odor, but doesn't stop sweating. It works surprisingly well, at least for a few hours.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Great thread. I’m a Costco guy, and found Degree Ultraclear Black + White Antiperspirant about a year ago. No more stains on white shirts, no perspiration, no odor. Aluminum is the first ingredient, and the applicator comes only half full, but Costco seems to have this on sale half the time, at about $4 per.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I like coffee ☕ It's delicious, and I even love the scent of it. Imagine my surprise when I found out that, Nivea has an espresso scent deodorant.

I tell you what, I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but I'm really thinking about trying out that stuff. If any of you have tried it and like it, I might just order a 3-pack.

I hate to throw out something I paid money for, but I clearly can't use this old spice antiperspirant, it declares war on my pits, not good lol.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
8B57F039-0915-4AB7-A9A2-5239628C6E2B.jpeg

Not the best photo but it does smell great and works well for me. One of my favourite Nivea deodorants.

Currently rotating between Cremo, Toms Of Maine Cyrprus, and a Hispanic roll on (Oban or something like that red & black container) as far as anti perspirants go I don't use them often but the deodorant stash is dwindling.

A good suggestion is Razorock Best Deodorant but not sure if it's anti or not but was some darn good stuff. Alum block only works sometimes on my skin and might be worth trying at least since they last forever and are inexpensive but a lot of artisans are making deodorant these days so it's all about experimenting and finding what works best for you.

Thanks!
Lots of good advice here. I only use unscented antiperspirant, usually Mitchum gel. I find the fragrance from scented stuff unpleasant on me and on other people. Wish I knew which ones stink to me but it isn't something you say, hey, your antiperspirant or deodorant really stinks, what is it? Hahaha. No help in terms of more natural alternatives sorry

Any suggestions for a scented antiperspirant that is in a size convenient for travel. I have found very few options for men that are not way too big for a travel kit. Example: Dove Men+Care (2.7oz) is 5.75" tall. Old Spice (2.6 oz) is 5.25" tall. Secret Clinical Strength Soft Solid for women is better at 4.1", but I have not been able to find men's products that size or smaller.

Top Bottom