What's new

antica barbieria colla (ABC) first time use comments

I have been using MdC for the last 2 years and have been quite happy with it. But seeing all the rave reviews of ABC, I decided to buy one and give it a try. I ordered directly with the ABC store along with their almond shampoo.
Ordered June 20.
Shipped June 23.
Arrived July 1.

I shaved with a l'occitane plisson synthetic brush, an AS-D2 razor with gillette platinum plus blades.

Here are my thoughts after the first use:
- The packaging isn't as attractive as MdC.
- As expected, while it looks like a cream, it's really more like a soap. (I just loaded with my brush from the tub.)
- It lathers well.
- The scent is a very mild almondy one.
- I didn't find it to be as slick as MdC. The razor glide wasn't as smooth on some areas like the neck.
- But it also didn't irritate my skin like MdC. (I have very sensitive skin.)
- Some folks have mentioned that it isn't as drying as MdC in the post-shave feel. If found the opposite!

I must say, I am a tad disappointed after all the rave reviews, but maybe I'll try using more product on my next shave and see if that helps. If something changes in subsequent uses, I will update this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've had 2 tubs of it over the years and have enjoyed it both times but given a choice I'd buy Cella & take my wife out to lunch with the savings. Cella & Vitos really aren't that far off ABC in terms of quality. My fave ABC products are the after shave milks, particularly the green tobacco variety. ABC regularly marks things up to make them appear exclusive and posh. For example their $90 pig bristle brush is the exact same Mondial boar that can be bought on ebay for under $25. Not a close match, but the identical brush.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When people talk about expensive soaps like ABC - which is one of the most expensive non-artisan soaps if not the most expensive, there are always 2 questions: 1) Is it better? and 2) Is it worth the price differential?

IMO the answers are 1) ‘yes’ and 2) ‘no’, for most people.

I was lucky enough to score one on a forum. I have tried just about every creme and this is exceptional in performance, smell and price. As much as I like it, I just can't see spending the $75 for it. I still have a little left so I guess I'll just smell it and use another creme and make believe I am using ABC.

When people talk about expensive soaps like ABC - which is one of the most expensive non-artisan soaps if not the most expensive, there are always 2 questions: 1) Is it better? and 2) Is it worth the price differential?

IMO the answers are 1) ‘yes’ and 2) ‘no’, for most people.
I agree, but then... to me it's worth it, as unlike many (most?) people, I prefer having not more than 5 soaps/creams in my rotation, as realistically each of those is enough for a year of shaving, given I don't shave more than 3 times a week on avg.

So, I don't mind paying the premium, when I truly like the scent of the soap, as performance these days is probably within 10% difference between the very best and just average products.

That said, I've got SV Opuntia and matching AS gel on the way, with very high expectations. Any thoughts...?

I just used ABC cream tonight for the first time. I liked it. I do like the cella scent better but the ABC worked nicely.

Now between ABC and acca kappa...thats a battle I haven't decided yet.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I just used ABC cream tonight for the first time. I liked it. I do like the cella scent better but the ABC worked nicely.

Now between ABC and acca kappa...thats a battle I haven't decided yet.

Which Acca Kappa please?

Top Bottom