What's new

Another Zulu Grey Thread.

Interesting read. I use the ZG with oil and am very pleased with the results. I cannot compare it to a JNat or a Thuringian but the ZG improved my coti as well as my synthetic edges.

Interesting read. I use the ZG with oil and am very pleased with the results. I cannot compare it to a JNat or a Thuringian but the ZG improved my coti as well as my synthetic edges.

You say it improved the edge. Are you inspecting it with something or did it improve how the edge FELT? Scratch pattern is a funny thing and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how a razor performs.

Does anyone have a spin on how to get the ZG slurry stone to work faster?
This puppy is slower than the Cretean hone in this regard... it's painfully slow.

I have not been able to get more than "water with a little grey in the suspension" with the slurry stone. Have been using the Zulu with that level of "almost slurry", then rinsed and finished on water with a little Dawn soap (last 50X strokes). Stone is much slower than a coticule, about the same speed as my Arki Translucent (i.e., very slow).

I like my Zulu Grey a lot, but I admittedly haven't been using it as much since obtaining my JNATs. While I find that the Zulu compliments the coticule edge nicely, my preference for the JNAT edge is definitely stronger lately. I have definitely caught JNAT fever!!

You say it improved the edge. Are you inspecting it with something or did it improve how the edge FELT? Scratch pattern is a funny thing and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how a razor performs.

I get a better shave out of it as well as a HHT improvement. I don't know about the scratch pattern since I don't have a microscope.

Had one of my best shaves ever yesterday with my 14 Filly finished on the ZG after a 4000/8000 synthetic progression. This stone rocks!

Nice :)

Do you use oil only in the finishing laps on the ZG or all along? Mineral oil?

Last time I tried with some soap and I think it helped in getting a smoother edge in the final laps.

Nice :)

Do you use oil only in the finishing laps on the ZG or all along? Mineral oil?

Last time I tried with some soap and I think it helped in getting a smoother edge in the final laps.

Oil all the way. I think that once you put oil on that stone due to porousity there will be no more going back. I use a standard odourless mineral oil.

i couldn't get it to slurry today. tried three times, then took a DMT EF to the slurry stone to see what happens and got a mild slurry i used on the ZG stone

not so sure i have place for this hone in my kit. it's pretty and feels nice, but i think this stone killed my HAD.

so i tried the ZG off a nice coti edge, from a La Nouvelle, and the feedback change was within mere 5 strokes or so. I want to like it… it appears to work.. i think i have too many stones already

I could not get a slurry raised with the slurry stone…

Top Bottom