What's new

Another way to quickly stop the bleeding

I don't think I have ever seen this method of stopping the bleeding in shaving forums, but I use it whenever I cut myself and it works the best for me:

Toothpaste!

Seriously, just put a little on your finger and make dots over the wound. The bleeding will stop immediately.

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is wise to rub toothpaste to an open wound since there are many chemicals in it.

An alternative to toothpaste is the application of tobacco to the wound it will stop the bleeding, it is antiseptic as well.

I am not sure if it is wise to rub toothpaste to an open wound since there are many chemicals in it.

An alternative to toothpaste is the application of tobacco to the wound it will stop the bleeding, it is antiseptic as well.
Don't rub it, just make little dots.

Great, now I’ve got to cellar aftershave tobacco.

Damn… when you think you have enough…

I've never used toothpaste as an astringent but I remember it being a "life hack" for drying out pimples before life hacks were a thing.

If you want to go all-natural, yarrow leaf (also called woundwort) are unsurpassed in my opinion.

Toothpaste is nice in that you don't have to prepare it to have on hand the way you would tobacco or achillea. If you happen to be a tea drinker who has their tea before shaving, tea bags (or loose tea) are great to stop bleeding. It's what they recommend after wisdom teeth extraction. Black tea, of course.

My vet recommended a dab of cornstarch if I accidentally clip the quick on my cat's claws when trimming to stop any bleeding. I haven't tried that on myself yet, but it's a suggestion I've heard before. Dab it on and gently rinse off once dried.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That brings back memories! My grandfather used to put tabacco on wounds.
I remember my ag teacher in High School whipped the chaw out of his mouth and slapped it on a girls arm who had just been stung by a group of yellow jackets. I think the girl freaked out more from the chaw than the stings. My teacher seemed honestly confused and surprised that she was raising so much fuss over the tobacco.

You can get potassium alum at the grocery store. Used in pickling. I keep some in a zip lock bag and put some water on my finger and press on cut.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like the "pay more attention to your technique" method, but the alum block is my usual go to when the mind wanders. I don't allow anything that would qualify as a wound. That's ill-advised.

Top Bottom