What's new

Another UK newbie with a steep learning curve.

Hi all, been lurking for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd de-cloak, register and say Hi!

I'm a long time Mach3 user (although with shaving soap and a brush) and I suppose I got fed up of mediocre shaves and the cost of the replacement blades. If I left it three days I'd get a good shave. Two days and I'd get an OK shave and if I shaved daily I'd suffer ingrowing hairs, bumps and irritation.

A friend suggested a DE razor so... I think I have developed a new obsession. It started about a fortnight ago.

Initially I got a Merkur 33c on recommendation and used it for the first week. Then a 37c turned up - better for my thick stubble. Then a Gillette Slim Twist came as part of a vintage shaving travel pack that caught my eye on eBay. And a selection of blades. And some more soaps. And some more creams...

None of this was making my shaves better though - practice would.

I had some stern words with myself on Sunday and since then I've been shaving daily. Sunday's shave was a two pass with the slant into four day growth and was amazing - the type of shave I wanted to achieve. A day later I was still stroking the smooth smooth skin - incredible.

I got lucky. Monday's shave felt like it was done using a broken bottle (two pass - 37c and then 33c). Tuesday's was better (two pass with the slant) and allowed my face to heal a little. Wednesdays was better still (slant then 33c) and this morning's was a step backwards slightly - the first pass with the slant was clumsy and caused damage. The second pass (33c) and the final polish (Twist) were far better controlled - I can judge my angle now by the noise the blade is making against my stubble.

I've not noticed anyone mention this - if the handle is at too shallow an angle so only the guard and blade are in contact with my face I hear a rough, scraping noise. As I raise the handle relative to my skin the noise softens and it sounds more like the blade is ringing. Carry on raising the handle and the noise suddenly cuts off. So I try and make the blade ring - is this right?

From my experiences so far I think I need to spend more time on my prep, as the second and third passes seem smoother. I can only assume from this that the longer the soap is on my face the softer my stubble is becoming.

My current philosophy is therefore to try and use the soap (Arko) to soften the hair chemically by leaving it there as long as practical before I shave.

I shower before my shave and apply shaving soap to my face and lather up while in the shower after washing my hair. I then re-lather on leaving the shower (same brush load) and clean my teeth. Then I rinse my face, fill the sink with warm water and re-apply my shaving soap and build up a fresh lather.

Then I shave. Does this seem a reasonable approach? I'd like to avoid hot towels etc if I can still get a reasonable shave without just down to the "admin" during the week - obviously I'll try them on a weekend at some point!

Thanks all for such a rich and informative site by the way!

Hi cwis, welcome to B&B!

Wow, only two weeks in and you've already got 3 razors?! I detect a virulent case of RAD (Razor Aquisition Disorder) there!

Your routine for weekday shaves is, if anything, more elaborate than most--but if it works for you who am I to gainsay it? Although it's just my opinion, I believe that what actually SOFTENS your whiskers is not the soap itself, but what the soap brings along with it--water. The soap provides glide and protection of course, but I think it's that water that actually softens the hair follicle.

Personally, I shower, washing my face thoroughly while showering, towel off and re-wet my face (sometimes using a bit of pre-shave oil, sometimes not), and then just face lather and get to shaving. As I said, though, if what you're doing works for you, then keep at it!

When you get a chance, drop by our Hall of Fame and introduce yourself to the rest of us. If you have questions or problems, post them here at B&B. Our members are freindly and welcoming, and the amount of knowledge available at the drop of a hat here is astounding!

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

I think you found your answer when you mentioned you noticed how the angle affects the shave. Work on nailing your technique and put away 2 of your razors.

Fewer variables will get you there faster. I have a couple dozen razors so I get the appeal & welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B! As you progress in your shaving, your technique will defintely improve. It sounds like you're taking a solid approach. I found that applying pressure was one of my downfalls as I started and it took awhile to break that habit.

I think you found your answer when you mentioned you noticed how the angle affects the shave. Work on nailing your technique and put away 2 of your razors.

Fewer variables will get you there faster. I have a couple dozen razors so I get the appeal & welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

+1. Keep it simple for now. Enjoy your shaves!

+1 Great advice, by Greg! Focus on your angle and only use one razor and blade for now! Reduce the variables and perfect your technique. Good luck and welcome!

Yes, I would also say it sounds like you know the answer regading angle, but I would add that your cues are your cues. But that's the key. Find the cues that tell you the angle is right, and you will use those until you get to the point where you just shave without thinking about it.

Welcome aboard!

The force is strong in this one.

You want to drop the handle (from perpendicular) just until it rings for you. The blade itself should be at a shallow angle to your face. Going further down is more aggressive and you start to just scrape the hair off. It's neither comfortable or good for the blade's edge.

Cheers!

Cut the variables down to an absolute minimum for a month or so until your technique starts to improve. Just use *one* razor, one soap or cream, one type of blade. I know the temptation is to try everything out at once, but honestly keep it as simple as possible for a little while. You'll find massive improvement very quickly. You'll start to figure which angle works best for you with your chosen kit and soon it will be second nature. - welcome too!

Hi all,

thanks for such a warm welcome!

OK - I heeded the common sense that many of you advised by only shaving with one razor this morning - I chose the Gillette (most forgiving) and will use it for at least a month without changing anything. It happens to have a Derby blade in it - I'll carry on using them too.

I shaved far slower this morning, listening for the correct noise and I must admit it does seem like previously I've been dragging my razor through my beard with too steep a blade angle - you guys were right!

I did a three passer (WTG, XTG, ATG and it's acceptable, except where I caught myself using pressure (whoever suggested I was doing that - you were correct!). Strangely I do this on the WTG pass - not sure why.

I've dropped the multiple latherings, and whoever suggested there would be no difference - you were right too!

I'm going to carry on with my daily shave - it does seem to be doing wonders for my technique, even though I'd probably get better shaves by leaving it a day inbetween.

Thanks all your your advice!

Chris

Great to hear that the simplification of your routine and concentrating on the basics is bearing fruit, Chris!!:thumbup:

If there's one thing that every new shaver should tattoo inside his eyelids, it's this:

Technique will always trump technology.

An experienced shaver will be able to generate an acceptable shave from just about any gear--and for a new guy just starting out, the answer to most of his problems will be solved by concentrating on the basics of preparation, angle, and pressure. It's extremely rare that the answer to someone's shaving problem can be had by opening up their wallet instead of their mind.

Hi everyone,

Just to update - I've now been shaving every day or every other day since my last post, exclusively with the UK Slim Twist. I now do a three pass shave when I have plenty of time and a two passer when I'm a bit pressed.

I noticed I tend to prepare my lather a little dry so I'm working on that aspect currently...

I've mapped my face, learnt my exceptions (no XTG on my neck for example) and I'm pretty comfortable now - no irritation, few weepers etc and my shaves are still getting closer and easier, not to mention quicker!

Oh - and I've only accidentally bought two razors since too, so the RAD is DEFINATELY under control. (Mint Slim Twist the same age as me and a US 1928 Gillette New open comb)... And two brushes. And another shaving soap stick.

Top Bottom