What's new

Another Thrift Store find!

I stopped by the Salvation Army thrift store today and picked up a little container with a lid that I'm planning to use to hold a puck of shaving soap. I also grabbed this big mug to use for bowl lathering.
1672863264797.png

The container has about 5 tiny little dishes inside - no idea what they are for. Any guesses? Coasters?
1672863391897.png

Last edited:
I stopped by the Salvation Army thrift store today and picked up a little container with a lid that I'm planning to use to hold a puck of shaving soap. I also grabbed this big mug to use for bowl lathering.
View attachment 1582835

The container has about 5 tiny little dishes inside - no idea what they are for. Any guesses? Coasters?
View attachment 1582836
Congratulations on finding a bowl with a bright and dramatic orange color. Such visibility and contrast are desirable when there's white shaving soap in the bowl.

View attachment 1582835

View attachment 1582836
Nice find! Definitely a Japanese style castle on the lid. Looks like it could almost be Himeji castle. The dishes could be coasters, or they could be dipping sauce dishes, maybe for soy sauce when eating sushi or sashimi, or gyoza sauce for dipping gyoza. That mug is very nice as well. Great score all around!

I purchased a set like that when I was working in Japan. It is lacquerware, and the little "coasters" are actually for soy sauce and wasabi, which go with sushi. Some sushi bars use them, but many have gone to ceramic, since it is easier to clean than lacquerware (not dish washer safe).

Top Bottom