What's new

Another Testament: Decant your Pinaud Clubman into glass!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I’m not sure if our friends in Europe are familiar with the Hobby Lobby craft stores. But I found these for only $4.99 each. They should work nicely! They have a rather large assortment of empty glass bottles
View attachment 1589168
BDSkelly:
Say...how many ounces does each bottle hold?

pinuad-logo-jpg.835297
“I love a scent that can make memories come alive". Author Unknown

Last edited:
I tried this with both Club Man and Pinaud Whiskey Woods. The Club Man was helped a little, but still has that skunky finish as it dries. The Whiskey Woods was fine to begin with and is great now. If the Club Man has been skunked by the plastic bottle, it's probably not going to get rid of it entirely.

If the Club Man has been skunked by the plastic bottle, it's probably not going to get rid of it entirely.
Yeah I don’t see the benefit of decanting. If the plastic has somehow leeched into the liquid, what good is sealing it in glass going to do? Maybe it doesn’t get worse, but in a sealed container it doesn’t seem like it’s going to get much better.

I’ve done this and I can’t tell the difference between what’s in glass, and what remained in plastic. 🤷‍♂️

I never did notice any plastic skunk nastiness in my bottles. I certainly didn't like The Veg and didn't care for the original, but give me VIBR in it's plastic bottle any day!

I'm often skeptical about these types of perception things that are tough to measure objectively, but I'm in the believer camp when it comes to decanting the Pinauds (which I use interchangeably with "Clubman" ;)). I really do think there is a difference afterwards, but it takes a while, and the situation seems to improve once the new glass container has been used many times (probably more aeration).

It seems like some of them benefit more than others, however. The Citrus Musk and Bay Rum always seemed fine in plastic, to me. LV and Clubman seem to improve immensely. With Whisky Woods (they should have used that spelling!), I noticed the skunk but am not sure if decanting helped it. Haven't noticed this with other brands...

If anyone's interested in decanting, but hasn't found the right bottle, there is a very affordable glass 6oz Lilac Vegetal bottle on the bay right now.

I have no affiliation with the seller, and would be scooping this up for myself, but I just bought an exact copy of this one.

Search "clubman after shave rare"

1678851377176.png

Another believer in decanting.

To those that are skeptical, note that I've never attempted to de-skunk an already-skunked bottle, so I can't vouch for successfully reviving anything.

Nor is my nose good enough to even try to attempt describing an improvement in scent composition.

All I'm saying is that between living in a hot part of the country, and also taking several years to go through any one bottle of aftershave, if left in plastic my Clubman products were always skunked by about year 2 or 3. The smell to me is not unlike the skunky smell that develops in lightstruck beer. When decanted straight after purchase, such problem has never developed. Perhaps some that have never encountered this live in a cooler climate? Or perhaps I just have an unlucky knack for getting old merchandise that's sat around in the warehouse for a long time. The latter wouldn't surprise me, as I'm sure their stuff doesn't exactly fly off the shelves with the general public.

Either way, as if to hammer the point home to me, I currently have a bottle of Eau de Portugal in plastic that I bought in 2020 and rarely use. For some reason I thought it would be less necessary, being a hair tonic. As of this summer, skunked. I'm going to at least try to decant it before I toss it.

Last edited:
I decant whiskey woods and lime sec in glass. I really don’t notice a difference in scent even though I have a big sniffer, but they do look nicer in glass.

Top Bottom