What's new

Another Testament: Decant your Pinaud Clubman into glass!

Thanks to all. I am new to the Clubman scent and love it, but now I will decant.
Question though, if I choose to use a empty hot sauce bottle ( which I also am crazy about) I guess just clean it with dish soap with super hot water? Please and thank you.

Eh- I know what I end up feeling & smelling like anyway- & glass vs plastic isn’t going to make an earth shattering difference to me or for me. Besides- my wife says the veg smells like granny’s bathroom 😄😂 a sex repellant- I don’t think glass will change that 😂 On the flip side, if I just feel like being left alone/ lol- personally I love the veg & appreciate its history- regardless of plastic or glass- so- I don’t think my wife would care either. Just my two cents

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread and reminder. I have the vanilla in their small nip style bottle and lime in the regular large bottle and I don’t notice the skunk smell with either. So I’m wondering if it’s just the original version with the bad bottles?

I got a bottle of Whiskey Woods for Christmas from the Mrs and she also found a glass Pinaud bottle for me on Facebook marketplace. It’s one with the threaded top, although the cap was missing.

I gave it the same treatment as the VIBR bottle I did previously, by gluing a Tobasco cap inside the Pinaud cap.

This bottle has a shorter neck, where the threads are compared to the bottle I used for my VIBR. On the VIBR bottle I used the Tobasco cap as-is, but for the Whiskey Woods I had to take the cap to my orbital sander to shorten it enough that it makes a tight seal.

I put some near-boiling water in the old plastic bottle to remove the label, and transferred it to the glass and voila. It’s a little crooked but that’s sort of par for the course as I’ve never seen a Pinaud label that wasn’t crooked.

1672265400069.jpeg

1672265423330.jpeg

Great thread and reminder. I have the vanilla in their small nip style bottle and lime in the regular large bottle and I don’t notice the skunk smell with either. So I’m wondering if it’s just the original version with the bad bottles?
I’m on my 2nd bottle of Vanilla and I’ve never had a problem with the plastic. It was the same to my nose from first drop to lasts. I’ve decanted regular Clubman, Veg and Special Reserve. I think it helped the Veg stay more green and less pungent. Not sure about the other two. The Special Reserve has always been great for me.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m on my 2nd bottle of Vanilla and I’ve never had a problem with the plastic. It was the same to my nose from first drop to lasts. I’ve decanted regular Clubman, Veg and Special Reserve. I think it helped the Veg stay more green and less pungent. Not sure about the other two. The Special Reserve has always been great for me.
It does seem odd that if the plastic turns the product bad that glass would somehow counteract that.

It's kind of like being an audiophile.. sure I tried more expensive cables, and it made me feel better, but I can't say for sure they ever really made anything sound better lol. We just like glass more than plastic is what it comes down to. I think with brands like Clubman/Jeris and Master Wellcomb, the fact that they're in plastic speaks to the fact that they are aimed at barbers who go through them quickly so it doesn't matter as much. Long term, the glass probably helps keep the juice fresher. Immediate changes to the scent? I'm.. suspicious..

It's kind of like being an audiophile.. sure I tried more expensive cables, and it made me feel better, but I can't say for sure they ever really made anything sound better lol. We just like glass more than plastic is what it comes down to. I think with brands like Clubman/Jeris and Master Wellcomb, the fact that they're in plastic speaks to the fact that they are aimed at barbers who go through them quickly so it doesn't matter as much. Long term, the glass probably helps keep the juice fresher. Immediate changes to the scent? I'm.. suspicious..

Speaking for myself, I admit I do like glass more than plastic but there’s more to it than that.

I strongly believe heat is the factor.

I made a batch of Bootleggars Bay Rum and the VIBR had a definite skunk, which faded once decanted to glass.

The same was true for my Clubman, which was the worst of all. Very skunky. I bought it on vacation during the summer and it spent too much time in and out of my hot car. Went away after I moved it to glass. (Could still detect the skunk scent for a couple weeks)

The Special Reserve I used for Bootleggers EL Dorado also had the skunk, which again faded once decanted to glass, but the Classic Vanilla had none of that scent.

I think, if you get a new bottle, and you go through it quickly, and it’s never exposed to heat, then you may never realize any benefit to decanting.

But if an off-odor is keeping anyone from giving these great scents a fair shake, I’d be remiss not to mention the benefits I’ve seen by decanting.

YMMV 🍻

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just my 2 cents - I haven't the best nose, due to reasons of my doing, but I can smell a difference between Clubman in the plastic bottle and a day or two after I get it into a vintage glass bottle. The difference may be me doing a back pat for the trouble, but I do it all the same.

Same when I use the syringe to move good old Aqua Velva to glass

I’ll just leave this right here- Ive decanted- and all that changes for me is the bottle note. The difference on the skin isn’t noticeable by me at all.

When it comes to lilac vegetal- I love the stuff. Smells like a barber shop to me. My wife calls it “sex repellant” and swears it smells like her grandmother’s bathroom to which I replied: How many men came in and out of that bathroom?

Happy new year!!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Question about decanting. What are you using for your bottles? Is there a good source for empty glass bottles you care to share?
BDSkelly:
I purchased my Vintage Pinaud Glass Bottles (separate purchase for cork stoppers), on 'eBay'. Ebay Bidding.jpg

From left to right;

attachment.php

8oz, 6oz & 8oz Pinaud Glass Bottles respectively. :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"A good [aftershave / cologne] is really a powerful cocktail of memories and emotion". Jeffery Stepakoff

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Lovely!

What’s in these bottles?
Breen:
In the past, I had 'vintage' AS's from Pinuad (purchased on eBay),...in my bottles....from Left to Right (but now they are all filled with Clubman Reserve® Tequila Tease); :thumbsup:

a) Club Royale (a citrus, a hint of leather, a dash of spice with surprising light 'powder' note).
b) Naturelle Sec (a 'lemony-baby fresh' scent).
c) Fleur de France (Flower of France w/a distinctive 'roses, roses, roses' basenote).

pinuad-logo-jpg.835297
“Shaving with style and tradition since 1810”. Pinaud Slogan

I have had so many bottles of every Pinaud offering…. Occasionally they have a skunk scent. I believe it is offgassing from the plastic when it gets too warm. I don’t know how warm that is, but when I put water in the bottles and heat them in the microwave to make the label easier to peel, I get that same odor.

I think time in the bottle and temperature have something to do with it. I have had bottles of that smell perfect straight out of the plastic, and bottles that have a bad odor that is solved by pouring the aftershave into a glass bottle. I pour all my aftershaves into glass bottles if they come in plastic, and sometimes it really helps with the Pinaud offerings.

They are very affordable and I guess I’m glad the company offers them at such an affordable price, but I wish they would charge more and put them in glass.

Breen:
In the past, I had 'vintage' AS's from Pinuad (purchased on eBay),...in my bottles....from Left to Right (but now they are all filled with Clubman Reserve® Tequila Tease); :thumbsup:

a) Club Royale (a citrus, a hint of leather, a dash of spice with surprising light 'powder' note).
b) Naturelle Sec (a 'lemony-baby fresh' scent).
c) Fleur de France (Flower of France w/a distinctive 'roses, roses, roses' basenote).

pinuad-logo-jpg.835297
“Shaving with style and tradition since 1810”. Pinaud Slogan

I've never heard of any of those three scents, thanks for the run down!

Whiskey Woods is my only sampling of the reserves so far and I love it, but I hear your vote for the Tequila Tease loud and clear!

Top Bottom