What's new

Another "Tea Thread"...

My father was in the British army during the Korean war.While out in the field he decided to make a cuppa.His officer during his morning inspection noticed dad hadn't shaved and ordered him to use his hot cup of tea to get the job done ,so no more water was wasted than absolutely necessary.You can't get more British than that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My father was in the British army during the Korean war.While out in the field he decided to make a cuppa.His officer during his morning inspection noticed dad hadn't shaved and ordered him to use his hot cup of tea to get the job done ,so no more water was wasted than absolutely necessary.You can't get more British than that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Classic, thanks for the story. :)

Tally-ho,

Hobbes

In the US I've had good luck ordering tea from Peet's Coffee. They don't have an overwhelming selection, but the varieties they do have are uniformly high-quality, as are their coffees.

In the US I've had good luck ordering tea from Peet's Coffee. They don't have an overwhelming selection, but the varieties they do have are uniformly high-quality, as are their coffees.

Peet's get some good press as a "reserve" - I understand that they have a physical presence in some cities (rather than just an Internet address)? One friend uses them as a more tolerable version of Starbucks, for tea. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

# Ceylon Kenilworth (No. 317)

Tried this one this morning. Tasted like a milder version of the Irish Breakfast Blend, but without the bitter aftertaste. Another excellent pot of tea! I still can't help but think I did something incorrectly when making my pot of Irish Breakfast Blend.

I've also visited a local coffee/tea shop in my area. I think I'll be sticking with Special Teas. The prices at the local tea shop were considerably higher than those at Special Teas. I suppose there's a possibility the price is higher because the tea is of higher quality (if indeed that is the case). However, ALL of their loose teas were stored in clear, glass vessels. I've read a lot about tea recently, and while opinions/information seems to vary from source to source, they seemingly ALL agree that storing loose teas in a clear glass vessel is a "no-no".

-Pete

I brewed a sample of "China Yunnan Imperial" this morning, and the results were rather strange. Upon pouring, I noticed an aroma of something I can describe only as "hay". This aroma lingered through every cup. While the flavor of the tea wasn't nearly as odd as the aroma, I would probably not purchase this particular variety based on the sample. Is this a characteristic of certain varieties of tea, or simply another beginner's mistake? I can't help but blame the tea this time, as I closely followed the directions on the package.

-Pete

I have had that tea, and I think you have it more or less correct. It has a very spicy, chocolaty note that I find offputting. I can see how you might get a hay-like aroma. To me, I would call it intensely"polleny".

China Yunnan Imperial - this sounds like Dianhong (Yunnan Red), one of the stalwarts of red tea.

I fully delight in this tea's mega-maltiness and deliciousness. Pollen, yes. It's stacked with the silver-tip hair of marvellously high-quality young leaves, oxidised within an inch of their life.

Hot.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I have had that tea, and I think you have it more or less correct. It has a very spicy, chocolaty note that I find offputting. I can see how you might get a hay-like aroma. To me, I would call it intensely"polleny".

I didn't get chocolate, but I did find it spicy. Of course, my palate is still very inexperienced when it comes to teas. The aroma honestly reminded me of a farm.

Luckily, it was a free sample, and it was only enough to make 3 cups. I drank all 3 cups, so obviously I didn't find it disgusting... but it's not a characteristic I would seek out in a tea.

That said, what other teas should I avoid?

-Pete

China Yunnan Imperial - this sounds like Dianhong (Yunnan Red), one of the stalwarts of red tea.

I fully delight in this tea's mega-maltiness and deliciousness. Pollen, yes. It's stacked with the silver-tip hair of marvellously high-quality young leaves, oxidised within an inch of their life.

Hot.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Not for me, personally... but I must say that it's the only bad tea I've had thus far. As mentioned in the above post, it didn't stop me from drink the ENTIRE pot, though. It's still far better than any grocery store variety I've tried. Now that I've been spoiled with a few good pots before this one, I am actually beginning to become slightly selective.

Is this a characteristic of ALL Yunnans, or just this one?

-Pete

Is this a characteristic of ALL Yunnans, or just this one?

It's a big place, Yunnan - the birthplace of tea, no less. They have some Government-protected trees there which are over a thousand years old.

"Yunnan Red" (a.k.a. dianhong) is fairly consistent. Also from Yunnan comes Pu'er, a whole genre unto itself. The range of Pu'er possibilities is huge. Worth looking into. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Had a few more teas... some I liked, some I didn't care for.

I really liked the Kenilworth Ceylon. Clean, crisp, and flavorful... much like a really good iced tea. I also had a few other breakfast blends, such as Mount Everest Breakfast Blend, and East Fresian Broken Blend (a bit too spicy for a tea). I also made another pot of the Irish Breakfast Blend, and the revisited pot was far more enjoyable than the first. Still strong, but without the bitter aftertaste this time around. I'll probably purchase the Irish Breakfast Blend in the future, and possibly the Kenilworth Ceylon.

As I type this, I'm drinking my first oolong (Formosa Tung Ting Jade Oolong). My first impression - all aroma, little taste. Am I doing something wrong, or is oolong characteristically mild in flavor? Smells very floral.

I also tried China Golden Monkey. Not quite as strange as the Yunnan I tried last week, but still a bit strange (malty?) for my taste. Still enjoyable, but perhaps something I'd have to be in the mood for.

At this point, I'm open for recommendations. Basically, I'm looking for breakfast teas with traditional, sweet flavor. I find the China Keemun's interesting by description, but I'd lean towards the more modestly priced versions. Any advice/comments on Keemuns?

Thanks all!

-Pete

That oolong is very lightly oxidized, typical of Taiwan. Personally I don't care for most Jade oolongs; I would rather have a more oxidized Chinese oolong like a Tie Kwan Yin or on the other end a green tea instead.

I like the Golden Monkey - malty is the word.

For breakfast teas, Keemuns are excellent but vary wildly in price and quality. Some of the Keemun Hao Ya A's I have had from Special Teas have been very intense and worth the price. The "Imperial" Keemun is worth a try at a lower price point if you haven't had the style before, as some people don't like the unusual winy flavors. Also look to India for some Assam, a great malty choice that isn't nearly as overpowering as some other teas.

If you liked the Ceylons, pick up a sample of the Vithanakande FBOPF - it is very odd but quite nice.

uh oh - gotta run before the Earl catches me replying to a tea thread without authorization.... :wink:

I found the Golden Monkey far more enjoyable than the China Yunnan Imperial I had last week. I didn't get the "hay-like" qualities from the Golden Monkey.

The incredibly wide price range associated with Keemun tea is crazy. At this point, I'm not ready to spend $10+ for a 1/4 lb. of tea. I will likely give the Keemun Imperial a try, but the wine notes do sound like a bit of a turn-off. I will also add a 1/2 oz. of the Vithanakande FBOPF to my next order.

I am highly impressed with Special Teas. Granted, I lack the experience to comment on the quality of their teas, but after comparing their prices/selection with other online vendors, they seem like a great place to start. Furthermore, their service is outright impressive. I placed my second order with Special Teas just after lunch on Friday. Saturday afternoon, FedEx was at my door! From Connecticuit to Pennsylvania in a little over 24 hours is pretty damn good!

This might be a very broad question with a wide-array of answers, but what to variety of tea do most Chinese restaurants serve their customers? It's usually red/brown in color? I'm sure I'm really reaching with this question.

-Pete

If you liked the Ceylons, pick up a sample of the Vithanakande FBOPF - it is very odd but quite nice.

Agreed, I have Kenilworth OP (317) as a second to Vithanakande FBOPF (EX) (319).

I've found most Assams, while full bodied (which I like), to be a little too astringent for my tastes. That is why I was so pleased with Ceylon Lumbini Special, which is full bodied, malty, but lacks the astringency of the Assams I've had.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
All this talk about tea is making me want to try another pu-ehr again. I do this every year or so, and always come away dissatisfied (and occasionally a bit green in color).

Fortunately, I think I still have a bit of Gawith black Irish twist to kill the taste if I catch a particularly bad one.

I recall a very amusing pu-ehr thread about two years ago.

Agreed, I have Kenilworth OP (317) as a second to Vithanakande FBOPF (EX) (319).

I've found most Assams, while full bodied (which I like), to be a little too astringent for my tastes. That is why I was so pleased with Ceylon Lumbini Special, which is full bodied, malty, but lacks the astringency of the Assams I've had.

I like the 321 better than the 319... or at least the price. :biggrin:

I wish I knew enough about teas to understand the term "astringent". There's just been something about Assams that I'm not completely pleased with.... and perhaps you and I are referring to the same qualities. I think i am beginning to understand the term "malty", though. I didn't find the Kenilworth OP at all malty, which I suspect is why I find it so appealing. I'm sure malty is a quality that some look for though.

I recall a very amusing pu-ehr thread about two years ago.

I read that thread in great depth, and I do recall that discussion. Entertaining indeed! Personally, I don't mind "to the point" descriptions, even if I disagree with the opinion. Conversations like that only further reinforce the fact that tea isn't "just tea". People's opinions vary greatly from one variety to the next. So far, my favorite tea has been Earl Grey de la Creme... a variety that I'm sure most purists would frown upon.

-Pete

Tea!

T'ung t'ing (real name: Dongding, "Frozen Summit") is traditionally a wee bit roasted to take the green edge off it. All these Taiwanese wulongs have been getter greener and greener, or "more girly" as my wife likes to say (!). I have one tea-friend who gets a tummy ache from drinking green Taiwanese wulong...

If you're after some seriously fine Taiwanese wulong, Stephane Erler sells some of my favourites. His site is French and English - do send him an e-mail, you won't be disappointed. He's my first stop for Taiwanese wulong - speaking of which, we just finished the last of my 2004 Dayuling last week-end and I need more.

Ouch, you mentioned not really enjoying Pu'er, and I wonder if it's just the tea you're trying. I had the wonderful experience of a tea-friend (a reader of Half-Dipper, in fact) visiting last week-end, who brought a 1958 pu'er. It's a beverage like no other, being almost narcotic, in some strange Chinese "qi" kind of way. Hang in there, you'll find something you like. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. The Pu'er thread that you mentioned sounds interesting, but I can't find it!

Top Bottom