What's new

Another "Tea Thread"...

So far, my favorite tea has been Earl Grey de la Creme... a variety that I'm sure most purists would frown upon.

-Pete

Definately a very good tea, and one of my favorites too. I just placed another order yesterday, and it was right in there along with Irish Breakfast.

This time around: Irish Breakfast (803), Mount Everest Breakfast (805), English Breakfast (800), China Superior Ti Kuan Yin Oolong (515), China Jasmine Yin-Hao (563), Earl Grey De La Creme (821), White Tip Earl Grey (825) and a sample of China Ti Kuan Yin Monkey Picked (517).

Last order:
803 & 821 - both very nice and enjoyable teas, especially in the morning
565 - pretty good jasmine tea, but for the price I was expecting something more
551, 519, 593 - while they weren't bad, I can't say that I liked any of them

"Mount Everest Breakfast" sounds a bit exciting. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I found it enjoyable. However, after reviewing the description, I can't help but assume I am confusing the Mount Everest Breakfast Blend with the East Fresian Broken Blend. I'm thinking it was the Mount Everest that I found to be "spicy". It's described as "peppery", and I'd tend to agree... almost as though it contains a bit of black pepper.

The Pu-ehrs look interesting, especially in color. There's one at Special Teas that looks as black as coffee!

-Pete

Don't bother with that pu'er tuocha from Special Teas. If you want the same experience at a lower cost, lick the mold from a wet basement while holding Ouch's socks over your nose. :tongue:

Don't bother with that pu'er tuocha from Special Teas. If you want the same experience at a lower cost, lick the mold from a wet basement while holding Ouch's socks over your nose. :tongue:

Caught that thread... does that translate as "earthy" in "tea talk"?

-Pete

I am sipping my first cup of Lapsang Souchong as I write this. So, er, what's the secret to getting it NOT to taste as if I had scooped up a handful of ashes from the bottom of my charcoal grill and steeped them in hot water? :eek:

803 & 821 - both very nice and enjoyable teas, especially in the morning

Those two are my favorites to date. I'm curious to hear your opinion on the Engish Breakfast Tea. I was considering giving it a try, but feared the Irish Breakfast Blend might make it seem weak. Keep me posted.

-Pete

If you liked the Ceylons, pick up a sample of the Vithanakande FBOPF - it is very odd but quite nice.

Was going to purchase a sample of this, as well as the Vithanakande FBOPF EX (319) Tim mentioned. I then noticed Special Teas offers a Ceylon Sampler that includes both varieties for $10. So, I decided to go that route, as it also contains more Kenilworth, too.

Well I can't speak to fine teas. I always just drink the varieties I can find at my local grocery stores. Still if you want a morning pick me up. Nothing beats the smokey sweat sock taste of Morning Thunder. I believe Celestial Seasonings makes it. Trust me, it will wake you up.

I am sipping my first cup of Lapsang Souchong as I write this. So, er, what's the secret to getting it NOT to taste as if I had scooped up a handful of ashes from the bottom of my charcoal grill and steeped them in hot water? :eek:

That's the thing with lapsang souchong: because it's treated with pine smoke, a less discerning tea producer can try and get away with using really rubbish tea. This is very common.

A good lapsang souchong is quite rare: Twinings do a good "hotel" brand, which is absolutely not their supermarket one. It should be sweet, deliciously fine, and the smoky character should be a delicately sweet pine edge, and definitely not "ashes".

Always a tricky one. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

That's the thing with lapsang souchong: because it's treated with pine smoke, a less discerning tea producer can try and get away with using really rubbish tea. This is very common.

A good lapsang souchong is quite rare: Twinings do a good "hotel" brand, which is absolutely not their supermarket one. It should be sweet, deliciously fine, and the smoky character should be a delicately sweet pine edge, and definitely not "ashes".

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Try www.tealuxe.com - I keep a tin of their Lapsang Souchong on hand at all times. It's a very nice quality/cost ratio loose tea, and they have a wonderful selection of other teas as well. As others have already mentioned, it took me a few years to warm up to some of the more, interesting, types/varieties of tea, so you may want to ease into some of the more powerful teas. Take your time and explore with small quantities at first, which is another reason to try Tealuxe - they offer packets of loose tea for a few bucks so you can spend $20 and get a great sampling of all sorts of teas that sound interesting.

Lastly, not to offend anyone, but I find tea dust (a.k.a. tea bags) to be far less rewarding, and not really representative of what tea *can* be. Loose leaf is the only way to go in our house...

- R

Try www.tealuxe.com - I keep a tin of their Lapsang Souchong on hand at all times. It's a very nice quality/cost ratio loose tea, and they have a wonderful selection of other teas as well. As others have already mentioned, it took me a few years to warm up to some of the more, interesting, types/varieties of tea, so you may want to ease into some of the more powerful teas. Take your time and explore with small quantities at first, which is another reason to try Tealuxe - they offer packets of loose tea for a few bucks so you can spend $20 and get a great sampling of all sorts of teas that sound interesting.

Lastly, not to offend anyone, but I find tea dust (a.k.a. tea bags) to be far less rewarding, and not really representative of what tea *can* be. Loose leaf is the only way to go in our house...

- R

I checked them out, having not heard of them before - thanks for the note. There are some interesting looking teas there that seem authentic. I'm glad to see that they sell real Chinese reds.

One amusing one was "Harvard Square Lapsang Souchong" - apparently made for the British market. I can honestly say, it's a funny choice of name "for the British market"!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

- R

Bags are more convenient, and more economical in some cases, but after two weeks of drinking loose teas, I don't think I could ever give up loose teas in favor of bags. They are indeed two very different entities, and I would've never known how different they two really are had I never given the loose tea a try.

-Pete

Bags are more convenient, and more economical in some cases, but after two weeks of drinking loose teas, I don't think I could ever give up loose teas in favor of bags. They are indeed two very different entities, and I would've never known how different they two really are had I never given the loose tea a try.

-Pete

Heh, agreed. Now I only drink bagged tea at work, where the soggy leaves are just a bit too messy to easily dispose of. It's more expensive in a way, but then again I tend to get more out of the experience :wink:

- R

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Sorry, I should have clarified: the Lapsang I drank was from SpecialTeas. I also should have edited my post after I drank the first cup, because I found the aftertaste so enjoyable that I made myself a second infusion and that cup was quite nice. I think my first "ashes" experience was a combination of not expecting something quite that smoky, and likely over-steeping. :blushing:

Each tea has it's own suggested steep time (and water temp) that will give you the best experience for that particular tea. It's a real pain in the beginning to keep track of, but once you get your favorites picked out it becomes second nature to brew 'em.

- R

Those two are my favorites to date. I'm curious to hear your opinion on the Engish Breakfast Tea. I was considering giving it a try, but feared the Irish Breakfast Blend might make it seem weak. Keep me posted.

-Pete

So far I've had a couple cups of each, and Irish Breakfast is still ahead. Mount Everest was good and strong, but IB was more to my liking with a similar kick. English Breakfast was only OK. (I tried each one with and without milk)

As far as Earl Grey De La Creme vs White Tip Earl Grey is concerned...de la creme is the winner.

Top Bottom