What's new

Another Swedish Razor

My wife and I went to a couple of flea market today that we don't normally get to and I found my 4th razor from Eskilstuna. I've heard these things were addictive, I believe that's true. This one is a J. A. Hellberg #12, the blade is 5/8 and I believe it's half ground or almost wedge (not sure). Not sure what the scales are either. A little history on this razor would be appreciated and a translation of the etching on the blade would also be great. Thanks

2019-02-16 18.18.01.jpg

2019-02-16 18.18.13.jpg

2019-02-16 18.17.08.jpg

2019-02-16 18.57.34.jpg

That darn Arne introduced me to J.A. Hellberg razors, and I'm glad that he did. Yours is a beautiful specimen. It looks like a near wedge to me.

Nice razor.
Abit hard to translate into English but ill do my best.
Svensktfabrikat = Swedish made
Sårsgaranti = nick insured (yes, has the same tone in its meaning in Swedish aswell lol.)
Skyddsmärke = protection mark(would be its literal translation)
So i guess its kind of a protection charm. Seen nothing like this. Kinda cool though

Nice razor.
Abit hard to translate into English but ill do my best.
Svensktfabrikat = Swedish made
Sårsgaranti = nick insured (yes, has the same tone in its meaning in Swedish aswell lol.)
Skyddsmärke = protection mark(would be its literal translation)
So i guess its kind of a protection charm. Seen nothing like this. Kinda cool though

That's close enough, thank you very much. That is pretty cool.

A couple days ago, I ran across another Swedish razor and brought it home with me, A JOH. ENGSTROM Frameback. Unfortunately it has a pretty good sized chip in the blade, hopefully it can be fixed. This one has the more preferred thick shank unlike the very thin shank my other ENGSTROM has with the brass spine. The scales are different, not sure if they are original. They appear to be some type of clear acrylic, possibly painted on the inside to make them look black. You can see on the end with the spacer, it's been dropped and the cracks in it make it look green and lines are from being scratched on the inside.

2019-02-22 20.43.01.jpg

It has D.S.& K. on the tang. Anyone know what this means?
2019-02-22 20.43.17.jpg

It has J. E. 1874 with an arrow on the blade. I presume this is when the company was founded.
2019-02-22 20.44.22.jpg

Here's a picture from a catalog I found, not much information though.
2019-02-24 14.20.35.jpg

Top Bottom