What's new

Another reason to like injectors...

For a bit of a lark, I went and scrounged eBay for an old Schick injector (wound up getting a series E 1940s model fer cheep; hurrah for me). Anxious for its arrival, I noticed that one of our local groceries stocked the Schick blades, so I went ahead and grabbed some; gotta be prepared, y'know. Shick sure makes those cases sturdy; nice metal box holding 7 blades.

Anyway, I left them on the kitchen table and forgot about them. Imagine my horror when I got home and discovered that my two Siberian huskies, bored with my long day at work, had chewed open the package and were using the injector refill case as a chew toy. :eek:

But you know what? Aside from a couple of tooth-shaped dents on the outside of the metal box, there was nary a scratch on the thing, and all the blades were still in place. I'm glad they lost interest before figuring out the push-pull thingy. I'm just glad I didn't leave a plastic box of feathers on the table... :scared:

So anyway, I love my injector and it hasn't even gotten here yet (lol). Hopefully it'll make for a better razor than its refill pack made for a chew toy. And hooray for Schick and stout construction.

i highly recommend getting an injector. i use it for touchup with pacific shave oil and it is the only thing that allows me to get totally BBS shaves...i'm talking perfect.

Well, my "Series E Injector" finally came--it actually made me laugh; it just looks so much like my grandfather's razor. Brass head, butterscotch bakelite handle. And if it wasn't unused, someone went to some trouble to put the copper "blade spacer" back in; I boiled it anyway to be sure.

Anyway, I jacked in a blade...

And it just shaves. It honestly feels a touch more "scrapey" than my Merkur HD, and my face is a touch more raw afterward (I think I was being too aggressive with against-the-grain passes) but it sure shaves well. My only complaint is that it's a little boring; it just sits there and shaves. As with other reviews you might have read, it's midway between a DE and a cartridge razor--shaves almost as easy as a cartridge, cuts almost as close as a DE. I love it!

I don't think it'll be my everyday razor, though... 1) I want to have a travel razor, which is the whole reason I got the injector, and 2) we have hard water and it makes me sad seeing the brass get all dull. But I'm sure glad I got it (and only $13 off eBay, half the cost of my Merkur HD).

Shaved a few times with the injector; some more observations:

1) First pass with the grain isn't nearly as close as the Merkur HD I've been using as my DE razor. The injector is, however, much easier and less fiddly.

2) Oddly, I find getting the angle right a little harder on the injector, but that's probably because I'm expecting it to shave like a DE (which it doesn't). The injector also makes my face feel a bit more raw, which is probably an angle issue.

3) If I don't go directly against the grain (3 passes: 1 with, 1 across, 1 at about 45 degrees agains the grain) it gives a great smooth shave with very minor irritation.

In short, it's a great razor. Why these things aren't more popular and why no one's making a modern version when there are so many DE razors available is just beyond me. I'd love to see, say, Feather making injector packs (someday I may try the "featherjector" trick...).

It still probably won't be my everyday razor just because I'm a cheap bastard, DE blades are cheaper, and the DE requires a bit more involvement, but I highly recommend having an injector on hand, even just for a change.

Besides, it gives me a reason to buy a couple more 1/2" tees for my PVC shaving stand so I can put both of them in there! Muhaha!

Cool Stuff, prepares me on my Injector when it arrives if it arrives you bloody never know with the stuff comming from the UK !

I have purchased some on Ebay ranging from the buttescoth bakelite handle to the coveted adjustable. I have 2 hydramatic with black handles. One takes the standard contemporary injector blade from CVS Rite Aid, while the other took blades that had holes punched instead of slots so the contemporary blades will not fit. Also I noticed that with the Pal adjustable injector would not accept the contemporeary blades.
So if you're hoping to get close shaves with some of these injector razors, beware-you might have a collection, a impratical-useless one at that.

I love my E2....even with CVS blades it does a great job, giving very close shaves. You just have to be a little more careful on your angles compared to a DE....

I often use it for my travel razor (& occasional touch ups for the BB-close finish)!

I have purchased some on Ebay ranging from the buttescoth bakelite handle to the coveted adjustable. I have 2 hydramatic with black handles. One takes the standard contemporary injector blade from CVS Rite Aid, while the other took blades that had holes punched instead of slots so the contemporary blades will not fit. Also I noticed that with the Pal adjustable injector would not accept the contemporeary blades.
So if you're hoping to get close shaves with some of these injector razors, beware-you might have a collection, a impratical-useless one at that.

I plan on buying two "venerable" Schick injector razors in the very near future: an E3, and a G4. Does anybody know if the PTFE-coated, stainless-steel injector blades from Ted Pella can be used with these models, using the supplied dispenser?

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1590232

If the Ted Pella dispenser is not a good "fit" for these models, what are the alternatives? Is it reasonable to acquire a dispenser which does fit these models, and manually (re)fill it with bulk-purchased blades, such as Ted Pella's carbon-steel injector blades?

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1531389

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the willingness to share knowledge, which is so evident on this website.

Never mind... the Ted Pella PTFE-coated injector blades work fine, with both models. Two Schicks (E3 and G4/66), blades, badger brush, and a small variety of shaving soaps, and I'm "good to go".

My compliments to, literally, everyone on the B&B forums... you have my admiration and gratitude.

2) Oddly, I find getting the angle right a little harder on the injector, but that's probably because I'm expecting it to shave like a DE (which it doesn't). The injector also makes my face feel a bit more raw, which is probably an angle issue.

Using the injector is much like the old GEM razors in that the flat part of the razor head should be flat against the skin, which gives the "perfect" blade angle for that razor. I find that for myself, I can get away with using a little pressure on a Schick Injector that way (although I don't recommend it out of hand).

Never mind... the Ted Pella PTFE-coated injector blades work fine, with both models. Two Schicks (E3 and G4/66), blades, badger brush, and a small variety of shaving soaps, and I'm "good to go".

My compliments to, literally, everyone on the B&B forums... you have my admiration and gratitude.

You may find that you need to twist/fiddle with the Ted Pella dispenser a little bit in order to load your razor easier. I tried straight on once and had to brute force the blade in but the next time I twisted the key ever so slightly and the blade popped right in.

Top Bottom