What's new

Another Razorine Flatboy post

Hey man, don't knock yourself on the head too hard. Truth to be told, I strongly dislike my Ambassador. I mentioned that in another forum more than once that I find the Ambassador a little harsh, and it was to me, the biggest white elephant I have in my den. At times, it would perform well, but will seemingly randomly present a harsh or rough scrapey feel. I like my razors to be consistent.

Haha, I am no wiser than anyone, my friend, but I just have a loud mouth and love sharing my thoughts on razors. The Fatip OC has less blade feel than the Razorine. It is does present a better clamp closer to the edge and the curved head does impart a bit of rigidity to the blade. However, the Razorine flatboy is loud and cheerful and very efficient indeed. It is a very easy razor to use, as long as you respect it. Assuming your whiskers aren't too long, 2 day growth being the max (for me), you will find the Razorine Flatboy very smooth and a good shaver whether you are going with or against the grain.

However, if you growth is longer, you may find the Fatip OC smoother, as it is clamped closer to the edge and has a slight torque to the blade. The Flatboy may develop a little more chatter than some people like on longer hair.

If you can get past that, and you CAN if you take shorter strokes on the Flatboy, it will consistently provide a more efficient shave than the Fatip OC. For me, the reason is actually because the Razorine Flatboy is SO VERY VOCAL. You will be able to easily pick up any missed stubble and clear it off. And of course, the slightly more blade will give you a slightly longer lasting shave.

I hope this gives you some insight into how the two razors perform relative to each other.
I'm also find the Ambassador a bit harsh. Sold it. Got a Pearl Flexi (same design). What a wonderful razor for a fraction of the price of the Ambassador.

Excellent write up @ClumsyBull - really helpful! I already use short strokes with my Fatips and also in general, so that would be similar and I am a daily shaver so growth should be manageable. My whiskers are tougher at times so that’s where the vocal feedback of the Razorine would come in handy.

Again, thank you for your insights. Really helpful and I am looking forward to reporting my first shave with the Flatboy!

Best,

Guido
My pleasure. Please do not forget to share your experience here with us :) Would love to hear how your shave goes when your Flatboy arrives!

I'm also find the Ambassador a bit harsh. Sold it. Got a Pearl Flexi (same design). What a wonderful razor for a fraction of the price of the Ambassador.
Good on ya... I managed to snag myself a Taiga before the whole Ukraine/Russia war erupted. It's cheaper than the Ambassador, and gives me much better shaves. Couldn't bring myself to get a Flexi, after too many horror stories on it's QC. But am happy that you got a good unit. Pictures please :)

So today was unwrapping time!!

1A1FD009-DEBC-4858-9690-E5526B354D84.jpeg

I got the Razorine with two handles for my birthday and I shaved with it right away.

Huge blade exposure and you have to be careful about angle and especially during the onset when you start to stroke.

But although blade exposure was huge it was a very comfortable and smooth shave. Very similar to a Fatip but way more efficient as far as I can tell. Paired it with a Dorco Titan and that appears to be a good combo. Will try other blades when this one runs out.

The handle is a bit on the heavier side compared to the head, but easy to hold, nice balance and a sturdy grip.

Really glad I got this one and I will definitely enjoy all my shaves with it!

Cheers,

Guido

Third time with the Razorine. Really liking this razor! Two passes and I was done!

Date​
10.07.2022​
Main Focus:10/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
189/191 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-S and S-N on the neck)
Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Dorco Titan (3)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11840373

Have a great day everyone,

Guido

I got my Razorine yesterday. Shaved with it this morning. I didn't even pay attention to the handle option, so of course I got the super heavy handle. One shave does not a review make, so I'm going to switch out the handle with some lighter options and use this razor for a few weeks with different blades.

...btw any ideas why some razors are louder then others?...
Blade exposure, mostly. How the blade is clamped also plays a part. The G.E. Jones shake sharp is the loudest DE razor I've ever used, and it has a lot of blade exposure (Both versions do). The second generation shake sharp is actually a fairly mild razor despite the blade exposure. The first gen bakelite handled shake sharps are fairly aggressive, and have something of a cult following among head shavers.

The sharpening function only really works with carbon DE blades, but it works great as a lather ejection tool.

Ok, so I got a Flatboy head that I have paired with a Razorock UFO handle, and I see others have also noticed that if you tighten the handle the blade is "bowed" downward in the middle such that the blade isn't straight...

Presumably nobody actually shaves with it like that? What's the fix? Loosen the handle a little bit until the blade looks straight?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Ok, so I got a Flatboy head that I have paired with a Razorock UFO handle, and I see others have also noticed that if you tighten the handle the blade is "bowed" downward in the middle such that the blade isn't straight...

Presumably nobody actually shaves with it like that? What's the fix? Loosen the handle a little bit until the blade looks straight?
No, my Flatboy has the same frown. It's either broken or by design, some claimed theirs don't do that. I wonder if they don't tighten it fully.

I do losen it just the tiniest to get rid of the frown. Perhaps using a washer would eliminate the frown entirely? I haven't tried this.
I use a RR UFO handle as well 😎

Happy shaving!

Top Bottom