What's new

Another Ogallala Shave Soap review

Used the Ogallala shave soap Lime and was totally impressed. Shaved and pressed the soap into a nice ceramic bowl, wasn't sure if I could microwave it. Soaked my Vie-Long Cachurro brush and covered the top of the soap with hot water, showered, then shook out the brush and started to swirl the brush on the puck, and WOW, almost instantly I started to get a lather, built lather for another 30 sec. till it was nice and thick soaked my face with a hot washcloth and started to lather. The lather was nice and thick, very hydrating, long-lasting, and very slick. The scent was very pleasant but was a bit strong at first but slowly dissipated, that's about the only drawback. How will I compare it to other soaps, that I'm using now? Cella/Vito's kilos: the same, Arko: Ogallala is slightly better, MWF: Ogallala is much better. Will I buy more of Ogallala? Oh yes, will try the other scents.

You should be able to microwave it. My first and only puck melted into a white liquid when trying to warm the soap and mug using a coffee cup warmer. I set it on the warmer while showering and it was liquid when I was ready to shave. I reached for something else that morning and used it the next day without any issue other than not caring for the scent.

I found the shaving qualities to be acceptable but the scent was much too strong. It was Bay Rum, sort of. It was much to heavy in clove for my taste.

I'm not knocking it, but it just wasn't for me.

Used the Ogallala shave soap Lime and was totally impressed. Shaved and pressed the soap into a nice ceramic bowl, wasn't sure if I could microwave it. Soaked my Vie-Long Cachurro brush and covered the top of the soap with hot water, showered, then shook out the brush and started to swirl the brush on the puck, and WOW, almost instantly I started to get a lather, built lather for another 30 sec. till it was nice and thick soaked my face with a hot washcloth and started to lather. The lather was nice and thick, very hydrating, long-lasting, and very slick. The scent was very pleasant but was a bit strong at first but slowly dissipated, that's about the only drawback. How will I compare it to other soaps, that I'm using now? Cella/Vito's kilos: the same, Arko: Ogallala is slightly better, MWF: Ogallala is much better. Will I buy more of Ogallala? Oh yes, will try the other scents.
I really like Ogallala soaps & their aftershave/cologne. I think they are underrated. Their BR w/sandalwood is a wonderful scent.

good to know! planning on picking some up soon

Ogallala Bay Rum is one of the few shave soaps that I cannot use. As soon as I applied the lather to my face, it felt like I had used gasoline rather than water. My face felt like it was on fire. Presumably it was the high level of clove used in the scent. I had to immediately wash my face with another soap to stop the irritation.

With several soaps that did not meet my performance expectations, I have used up the soap in the shower. In the case of Ogallala Bay Rum, it went straight into the garbage.

I know my experience is not typical. I liked the scent of Bay Rum, but my skin won't tolerate that version. I do have some other versions of Bay Rum with minimal clove scent. Those can cause minimal irritation, but at least I can use them.

I got the sample pack of 5 aftershaves to check out their scents. Love the Bay Rum Lime and Bay Rum Sandalwood. Purchased a a puck of the Lime soap and full size aftershave just before the end of the year. Hoping it arrives soon as I'm anxious to see how I like the soap. If it goes well, I see the Bay Rum Sandalwood soap/AS coming for a visit as well (though it will have to be next year due to the 2023 GRUYERE).

I received my Ogallala bay rum limes and peppercorn today soap and aftershave. Looking forward to using it tomorrow. I plan to put the puck in my Marvy mug....seems like it will make a nice home.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really like the Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood aftershave and soap. Just bought another jug of the aftershave today from Fendrihan (15% off on all store items use code 2023) and it lasts.
The scent is Bayrum with some clove and the Sandal wood kind of makes a sweeter scent as time goes on in the aftershave, long lasting and scent projection is more for the individual not a room full of folks IMO. I like to put a dab mid arm and smell it as it slowly changes. The soap I apply to a wet face with the lather generated from the bowl.
The aftershave & soap has some clove in it and I like it that way. Ogallala soap & A.S. is also very affordable & great stuff IMO.
I also have the Ogallala Sage & Cedarwood soap and it is great also if you enjoy Bayrum soaps.
All I do is just peel off some soap with my pocket knife and press in bowl and just use a squeezed damp brush and stir until it is pasty and add a little water and stir until desired texture is made and apply to wet face. Picture of lather below is made from a boar brush in under 2 minutes, it takes a few tries to figure it out but it works well and post shave is great. The foam seems a little different than other shave soap foam but it works well with excellent lather qualities.
SOTD November 14 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I just received and used Ogallala bay rum limes and pepper soap and aftershave. I’ve not really heard of this brand until recently and decided to give it a try.

I put the soap puck into a Marvy mug since I had one laying around. I wasn’t sure if I need to bloom the puck before use but decided to just in case. I filled up the mug with warm water and put my boar brush in to soak along with it while I showered.

I’m a bowl latherer so I loaded my brush and started making lather. Boy, what a lot of wonderful lather I got. It kind of reminded me of Cool Whip but a little denser. I loaded way too much soap and had enough lather for three shaves…haha. Less loading next time for sure.

The soap provided an excellent, slick, cushiony 3 pass shave. Color me impressed. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but the Ogallala performed as well as my other top shelf soaps.

The matching aftershave feels and smells wonderful. Great post shave feel with just a bit of bay rum sting. The scent is excellent but not over the top strong.

I’m glad I stumbled onto Ogallala products. First impressions are super positive. It has me wondering why more folks don’t talk about them.

Another soap/aftershave I’ll get in the future will be their bay rum sandalwood. The sample aftershave pack I got had several different scents and this was another one that I liked a lot.

Very nice products and I hope others will give them a shot if looking for something a bit different from the norm.

Last edited:
I used my Ogallala bay rum lime and peppercorn for the second time today. This time I did not soak the puck before trying to lather. I just took a damp boar brush and swirled it on top of the puck for about 20 seconds. I had to add a bit more water as I was building the lather, but it turned out just as good as the first time I used it....still way too much lather for one shave though...lol.

This stuff is excellent. Great cushion and slickness....and scent. Ogallala is turning out to be a great sleeper product that I had no idea existed a few weeks ago.

I've been looking for a Bay Rum shave soap to go along with my Barberry Coast Bay Rum aftershave. Tried Nordic BR and it is awful. Smells like stale cinnamon gum. Then I tried Ogallala Bay Rum- just the straight up version. It is fantastic. Just as others have said, it lathers beautifully, has good slickness, and it smells like classic Bay Rum. And its only about $8 for a 4.5oz puck. Where has this soap been all my life?

Has anyone tried the BR and vanilla? I imagine that as being along the lines of Old Spice but could be totally wrong. Would like to try that one next...but oh my. How much deeper does this rabbit hole go?

Ron R

Has anyone tried the BR and vanilla? I imagine that as being along the lines of Old Spice but could be totally wrong. Would like to try that one next...but oh my. How much deeper does this rabbit hole go?
Not sure if that one is a shaving soap, At Fendrihan they have some for soap & shampoo soap cake looks like the same packaging as the shave soaps but does not mention shaving. I like Vanilla scented stuff myself.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Not sure if that one is a shaving soap, At Fendrihan they have some for soap & shampoo soap cake looks like the same packaging as the shave soaps but does not mention shaving. I like Vanilla scented stuff myself.
Fairly certain you can get the Bay Rum/Vanilla scent in the shave soap. It's listed as the last selection in the drop down on the site listed in the link further up in the thread. He's my preferred vendor for all things Ogallala! I'm Ogallala loaded!

Ron R

Fairly certain you can get the Bay Rum/Vanilla scent in the shave soap. It's listed as the last selection in the drop down on the site listed in the link further up in the thread. He's my preferred vendor for all things Ogallala! I'm Ogallala loaded!
Thanks, good to know. Will try to order the next time I put in a order.

Top Bottom