What's new

Another newby looking to join the Straight Razor Society

Good evening gents.

About a month ago, I was looking at buying another pkg. of cartridges. I'm retired now and am in that situation where I have a little more time and a lot less money (at least for expendables).

I remembered coming across grandpa's old straight razor and thought, why not give it try. While trying to remember where I put Grandfather's razor and not being the type to just jump into anything without considerable research, I started searching and reading forums that deal with the manly art of dragging an insanely sharp piece of forged and heat treated metal across one's face.

This is a Charles Pickslay "Peruvian Steel" hollow ground, manufactured around 1842. More of their earlier razors were of the wedge configuration.
Assuming the razor wasn't bought second hand, it was likely Great, Great, Grandfather's judging by the time period.
View attachment 605453
You can see a line just left of the hinge pin where a new piece of ivory scale was carved and spliced in. The scale had probably cracked across the hinge pin hole.

Although I have cleaned up and honed the blade, it is my intention to fabricate a display box for it and put it up on a wall.

To pursue my desire to migrate to straight razor shaving, I've purchased a Dovo Diamant and so far have shaved with it twice. Neither time was without more discomfort than I'd hoped.

First time there was more pulling than I was expecting. After further study I realized my preparations were less than sufficient. Also, upon inspecting the edge of the razor with the use of a loop, in spite of procuring it from a online company specializing in shaving needs with an emphasis on straight razors, plus an assurance that professional honing would be performed prior to shipment; the edge, although obviously having been in contact with a stone, was far from having a professional edge on it.

The second shave involved the full gamut of hot towels, shave cream (Simpsons), more hot towels and re-lather. Although there was noticeably less pulling, post shave my face looked like I had an acute case of Rosacea. Also, my face stung badly for hours afterward and still stung a little the next day.
I didn't make the towels too hot, they were comfortable, less razor pull, all I can figure is, first shave was with Taconic Bay Rum Shave Soap, second was with the Simpson's "Citrus Burst" Shave Cream.
The other change was going from a dime store brush to a Semogue S.O.C.

Shaved just my neck this afternoon with a new very non-aggressive safety razor, using Captain's Choice Bay Rum Shaving Soap (more like a cream) with no adverse reactions.

Although I despise wasting money on things that will be a landfill in a few months time, I see the purchase of stones, strops and straight razors as something that with care, will be used by my descendants decades and possibly generations from now.

With that in mind, I've purchased two Atoma diamond plates for sharpening kitchen knives and flattening waterstones, a 800 grit Naniwas Chosera, a 3,000/8,000 Naniwa combination and the 12,000 grit Naniwa.
Still looking at adding at least 2 more straight razors and 3 more quality (no plated pot metal) safety razors to the household. Why so many safety razors? Two teenage sons still in the house.

Just got my 12,000 grit Naniwa stone yesterday. Will do a little further honing of the Dovo's blade tomorrow and using the Captain's Choice, with still just a little redness on my cheeks, will have another go with the straight razor today.

I'll try to make future posts not quite so long-winded.

fuzzymuzzle

Don't understand why the pic of the Pickslay razor didn't show up in my post above.
Will try again here.
$IMG_0353.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I didn't see a mention of a strop in your post. Stropping, especially after honing, always improves the feel of the shave for me.

Thanks gents for the compliments on the razor.

WildWest74, I am sensing a potential for an addiction to fine shaving instruments and a never ending quest for the perfect shave.

GolFisHunt, I have a strop. Bought that recently too. 30 Degree brand. Will likely make a paddle strop with some left-overs from saddle and harness repair I've done in the past or I'll fab one using balsa. Not sure that I want to apply any compounds to the hanging strop. I do have Chrom-Ox, jeweler's rouge and a couple of other polishing/abrasive compounds handy as I have a pretty fair home machine shop, which includes a small but industrial grade buffer.

Beautiful razor. The chance to use your Great Grandfather's razor is to good not to pursue. Welcome to the straight shaving community! A good shave is kind of a total package kind of thing and you are on the right road. The right prep (I like to shower before), the right lather, and the right edge, and the right technique. Now we all have to put in the time to learn the right technique, but reading your post I believe you may need work on the edge too. I am just cynical enough to say that I believe that MOST razors sold as "shave ready" are not. Honing is a separate skill and no doubt you can learn it, but in the interest of reducing the number of variables I would suggest having your razors professionally honed while you are learning to straight shave. There are several very skilled Honing practitioners here on Badger and Blade and that way you would know that all you need to do is work technique. Then when you start to jump in and hone you will have edges to judge your progress against.

Beautiful razor. The chance to use your Great Grandfather's razor is to good not to pursue. Welcome to the straight shaving community! A good shave is kind of a total package kind of thing and you are on the right road. The right prep (I like to shower before), the right lather, and the right edge, and the right technique. Now we all have to put in the time to learn the right technique, but reading your post I believe you may need work on the edge too. I am just cynical enough to say that I believe that MOST razors sold as "shave ready" are not. Honing is a separate skill and no doubt you can learn it, but in the interest of reducing the number of variables I would suggest having your razors professionally honed while you are learning to straight shave. There are several very skilled Honing practitioners here on Badger and Blade and that way you would know that all you need to do is work technique. Then when you start to jump in and hone you will have edges to judge your progress against.

+3 to all of the above! This is EXCELLENT advice. I would recommend the honing services of Alfredo (Doc226) here on the boards.

Use an extremely light touch. Reduce your angle to about one razor spine widths from your face and even less when going against the grain. Stretch the skin! This cannot be over emphasized. Both to prevent cuts and also to get a closer shave. Puff out your cheeks, pull your mouth to the side and do whatever you have to do to keep the skin always flat and tight in front of the razor.

Thanks for your very good advice gentlemen. I will certainly take it to heart.

I have already sharpened Great, Great Grandpa's razor to a point where it will catch the hairs on my arm as I sweep it across at about 3 to 4 millimeters above the skin. Still don't think I'll risk shaving with it though, as I don't relish the idea of trying to find ivory to repair a broken scale.

Although it may seem like every day stuff to you, I was tickled to death that after my first two sessions with the straight razor, I only drew blood once when, thanks to a tiny fogged up mirror, I nicked my ear lobe.

Thanks again for your responses and advice.

OK, I did it! I could not resist the opportunity to put Great, Great Grandpa's razor to my face. I shaved the right side of my face with the Pickslay razor and left side with the Dovo. Now I've got to find another razor that shaves as good as the Pickslay.

I had already honed and stropped the the Pickslay to near perfection. Gave the Dovo a freshening up this morning on the 12,000 Naniwa stone, followed by 35 to 40 passes on the strop. It was easily catching arm hairs 3 to 4mm above the skin.

Shaving with the Dovo was indeed pleasurable too, but it was a distant second to Great Great Grandpa's Pickslay.

The Pickslay gave a shave I didn't think I'd experience until I'd been doing this for at least several months. Even with 5 days growth of the barbed wire that erupts out of my face and neck, shaving with the Pickslay blade felt as though there were no whiskers there at all, that it was just sweeping off the lather.

Also discovered that I prefer the squared off blade end; don't remember the nomenclature for that.

Now what I need to do is lock that Pickslay razor up and lose the key, so I can't use it again.

Several options you may not have thought about. You could have the Pickslay restored. Depending on wants and budget you could go with real ivory and have the original scales duplicated. An artisan here on B&B called Mycarver jumps to mind for this kind of work. Or for far less money than ivory you could have it done in faux ivory. You could even toss caution to the wind and have it scaled in your own style to add your touch to the blade for the next generation of your family. Lots of choices and you could of course find any number of razors that will give you a fantastic shave, but I don't think you could ever find one that will mean more to you.

I started toying with the idea of re-scaling it about an hour after I got out of the shower. Would not attempt to carve ivory (way beyond my skill set), but would likely go with a water tolerant hardwood. Probably a cocobolo which is both a hard and an oily wood.
That is something I can do myself.

For over 30 years I made my living as an engineer and machinist in the motion picture industry; machining, heat treating, grinding and polishing metals. This is why honing my own razor was not that much of a stretch for me.

Although retired, I still have my own machine shop.

A few words that won't be connected with my razors: faux, simulated, imitation and China.

As an aside, I still have the Remington electric, complete with case, that my father sometimes shaved with in the mid 1950s. I still remember that he usually used a schick injector or a Gillette DE. Wish I had both of those too.

With the kind of shop you apparently have, and after a bit of time here, you may want to re-think your stance on razors from China. Many here have learned that a Gold Dollar razor from China can be turned into shaving art with the right tools and a bit of elbow grease. Sounds like you have both!

Not to disparage those of Chinese ethnicity, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. But, I can't say that I've had much in the way of positive experiences with goods manufactured in China.

Although I no longer have a surface grinder, I do still have a very nice engine lathe, toolmaker's mill, bench grinder and commercial grade buffer. About the only machining I do now is G-jobs for friends and a little gunsmithing from time to time.

Was thinking that, perhaps I might get lucky and find a razor on fleaBay with good scales and a throw-away blade and put those scales on G, G Grampa's blade. Might even find another set of ivories. Also thinking of buying a couple and restoring them for Xmas gifts.

Not to disparage those of Chinese ethnicity, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. But, I can't say that I've had much in the way of positive experiences with goods manufactured in China.

Although I no longer have a surface grinder, I do still have a very nice engine lathe, toolmaker's mill, bench grinder and commercial grade buffer. About the only machining I do now is G-jobs for friends and a little gunsmithing from time to time.

Was thinking that, perhaps I might get lucky and find a razor on fleaBay with good scales and a throw-away blade and put those scales on G, G Grampa's blade. Might even find another set of ivories. Also thinking of buying a couple and restoring them for Xmas gifts.

Welcome aboard, and awesome looking razor! Heirloom razors are really the best for those lucky enough to have them.

I hear you about most of the product out of China, but as Larry mentioned, the Gold Dollar razors are something to think on if you are looking to play around with customizing razors for yourself or as gifts. Think of them as a good solid steel razor blank for cheap that you can then use to craft into what you want them to be, really, since that is what they are.

Since you have the shop and the inclination. You can still purchase legal ivory and it would definitely be a classy way to see that razor to a happy future in your rotation.

Top Bottom