What's new

Another newbie!

Hi guys,
I’ve just started my double edge shaving journey in the last couple of months. I started badly with a cheap Amazon own brand TTO brand, but swiftly have gathered a Edwin Jagger d89, Merkur Progress and clone Merkur Futur, (which randomly suits my current skill level better than the progress). I’m just waiting on the Pear Flexi v2 to arrive in the next day or so and wondering whether to dive in on a Gillette slim or fat boy that seem to be universally adored especially if you’ve sensitive skin and prefer a milder shave, (I do so far). As you can see I’ve already got a little addicted! Any advice on shaving soaps, preshave creams or reasonable priced razors appreciated as I’m pretty new to it all. I’m based in the UK. Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I've started my journey just last September. It's nice down here in the rabbit hole. Just don't forget to enjoy what you acquired. I think your location gives you access to some nice brands like Taylor of Old Bond Street, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe. I'm a big fan of the Rockwell 6S in terms of value for money, though still relatively expensive in cost, yet affordable in the realm of stainless steel razors. But honestly, I think you're golden with just having the DE89. I know too well the pull of RAD though aha! If you want cheaper hardware, you may want to give some Aliexpress brands, like Yaqi (wait for a sale), a go.

I also vouch that the Gillette Slim is a smooth and comfortable razor. I definitely recommend you go ahead and experience it yourself!

Welcome to B & B Lee. Sounds like you’re quite comfy here in the rabbit hole. Just wait until the straight razor mosquito bites you!😀

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi guys,
I’ve just started my double edge shaving journey in the last couple of months. I started badly with a cheap Amazon own brand TTO brand, but swiftly have gathered a Edwin Jagger d89, Merkur Progress and clone Merkur Futur, (which randomly suits my current skill level better than the progress). I’m just waiting on the Pear Flexi v2 to arrive in the next day or so and wondering whether to dive in on a Gillette slim or fat boy that seem to be universally adored especially if you’ve sensitive skin and prefer a milder shave, (I do so far). As you can see I’ve already got a little addicted! Any advice on shaving soaps, preshave creams or reasonable priced razors appreciated as I’m pretty new to it all. I’m based in the UK. Many thanks!
Welcome to B&B. Have some great shaves!

And another warm welcome from another UK boy. As for the best gear to buy, do what most of us do - hurtle down this rabbit hole and buy enough of everything until you find your favourite! Then buy some more in case you’ve missed something...😱

Mind you, hanging around here, you’ll get more suggestions thrown your way than some guys have blades...😁

Al.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Welcome to B&B.
I started badly with a cheap Amazon own brand TTO brand, but swiftly have gathered a Edwin Jagger d89, Merkur Progress and clone Merkur Futur, (which randomly suits my current skill level better than the progress).
The EJ DE89 is a good razor to hone your technique on so stick with it for at least a month. Changing razors continually will not help you get there. The Progress is a great razor too with an Astra SP or GSB.

Welcome to B&B.
If you are starting out, then only suggestion is to go slow in the purchase of soaps and creams, this will give you a chance to use and decide what you actually prefer.
Later on, you can go as far and as many as you like.

Only thing worse than too much stuff to use is having too much stuff that you don't like.
Wishing you happy shaves.

Top Bottom