What's new

Another newbie on the forum

So, I figured I might as well introduce myself. I'm a college student, on a budget, and I'm totally hopping mad at cartridge razors. About two weeks ago I finally got fed up with paying outrageous amounts of money for cartridges that were dull badly made.

A little internet research led me to badgerandblade.com, and a few other places, packed with information on old style DE razors and, most importantly, how to use them.

When I asked my grandfather if he had an old double edge razor laying around the house that I could borrow for a bit, he gave me his old 1900's gold plated three piece Gillette, his 1961 adjustable 'fatboy', and about two dozen blades in various packs and dispensers ranging from 1930 or so all the way to the 70's or 80's.

He also gave me a Rolls razor...which he used while overseas during WWII...It works...But it’s a bit rough......Ok...Very rough...

So far I've used a double edge razor about half a dozen times. Results have been mixed probably due to the odd collection of blades, and my lack of experience. The 1961 fatboy carved me up so bad the only time I used it that I'll probably never touch another adjustable or twist to open razor ever again. But, even with goop in a can (My badger hair brush and shaving soap are in the mail, I swear!) I've managed to get at least one shave awesome enough to make me swear off cheap disposables and overpriced cartridges forever.

So, just wondering, since I'm looking at getting some decent blades and maybe a more modern razor, does anybody here have any suggestions for a newcomer on a budget? I'm leaning towards Derby Extra blades, and maybe one of the Lord branded razors.

Last edited:
So, just wondering, since I'm looking at getting some decent blades and maybe a more modern razor, does anybody here have any suggestions for a newcomer on a budget? I'm leaning towards Derby Extra blades, and maybe one of the Lord branded razors.

I really like the Merkur Platinum blades. $5.69 for a ten pack.

Welcome aboard! Let me give you some advice if you do not mind...

Do not worry about buying a more modern razor. I started the other way than you right now... checked out Parkers first. Then Merkur (Merkur Futur Adjustable... which I still love don't get me wrong)...

And finally delved into the world of older Razors like the Gillettes.

I love them the most...

So I think your problem is of course Shaving/Beard Prep. Don't sweat it. Wait for your items to get in... they will help big time.

But mostly, its your blades. I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe you need some new blades to try out. I really enjoy Sharp Stainless and Derby Extra. But get yourself a Razor Blade Pack with all sorts of blades to try out.

Like This Sample pack from WestCoastShaving

or

These, from ShoeBox

I'm still searching for a few razors that you already have. So consider yourself really lucky! More so that you are continuing a tradition and using your very own family members razors! Wow! What you have there is an amazing Collectors Set of shaving equipment! Do not forget it!

Welcome! Nice set up you got going there. Do yourself a favor and get some new blades, e.g. a sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com, and give all the razors another chance. My Fat boy (on any setting) is my favorite razor, compared to a tech, old, and SS. with crappy blades, they are all horrible shavers.

+ whatever on the sample pack of blades.

Don't (necessarily) give up on adjustables; what setting did you start with?

Most of all, welcome to B&B!

Thanks for the welcome guys! Looks like new blades are something I need to get. No problem there, they're very affordable compared to cartridges. I managed to find a few Gillette blue blades in with the bunch...So...Yhea...

Freimaurer - I've read some good stuff about those in the review section, and think I'll give them a go.

Koss - Thanks for the advice, and you are making some good points there! Even with all the wear on the finish from all the use it's probably seen, the older plated one is a favorite for sure. I can't determine what model it is, but theres a website selling WW2 USGI plastic Gillette razors that look exactly like it, so its got to go back to at least the 40s. That particular one was in the medicine cabinet.

On the topic of shave prep, I see that "Arko Shave Stick" has a very attractive price for my budget, but I know nothing about this? Is it any good, and are shave sticks used like shaving soap with a brush?

Mr.Igg - I started on 1, figuring I could work my way up. I wound up working my way all the way up to the max setting of 9, and then quickly back to 1 because it was the least irritating and least bloody. I'm not sure if the different handle design threw me off or something but I really got sliced up.

Welcome aboard. I suggest getting a sampler pack of blades so you can find the ones that work best for you, that said, I have had good luck with Derbys and Personnas. Good Luck.

Welcome to B&B. About those derby blades I use them and like them alot. Check out theenglishshavingcompany.com I bought my first DE there an Edwin Jagger loxley and it's great.

I really like the Merkur Platinum blades. $5.69 for a ten pack.

Many of us really dislike the Merkur blades.

I found them to be 100% total garbage. They pulled, and skipped on the first shave out, like other blades do at the end of their life cycle.

You almost never see anyone recommend Merkur blades to a newbie.

Quite the opposite is usually true, most newbies found to be using Merkur blades are encouraged to immediately use something else.

Also, the Merkur blades are very expensive. They are .57 cents each by your pricing. Far superior blades can be had for far less money!

So that being said, buy a sampler pack, and avoid the Merkur blades (at least for now).

Derby's tend to be a really good starter blade for those new to wet shaving.

Top Bottom