What's new

Another Newbie Checking In

J

jmaloney82

I'm old enough to remember when my dad wet shaved and remember using the DE razor a few times but by the time I was in college the DE razor was already out of fashion. I went to the Naval Academy so I was required to shave every day, no facial hair allowed. With the increasing prices of the 4, 5 and 6 blade disposable cartridges I decided I wanted to go old school and try wet shaving with the DE. I picked up a Merkur "Hefty" with a long handle and a brush. I think today was my third shave. I like the experience.

A couple of questions.
1. How often do you replace the blade in your razor? I'm sure this depends on a lot of things but just trying to get a general idea. I'm thinking once a week.
2. Does anyone use and recommend using a pre-shave oil? If so is there an affordable one someone can recommend? I saw a recipe up on eHow.com that was 2 parts castor oil, one part olive oil with a few drops of essential oil of your choice. Will give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Jim

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the wonderful ranks of the B&B. You'll love it here. In regards to your question, my blades last about four or five shaves. I shave every other day, so that ends up being about a week to a week and a half. I've never used a pre-shave, but I've heard wonderful things about the Proraso pre-post. I wish you good shaving!

I'm old enough to remember when my dad wet shaved and remember using the DE razor a few times but by the time I was in college the DE razor was already out of fashion. I went to the Naval Academy so I was required to shave every day, no facial hair allowed. With the increasing prices of the 4, 5 and 6 blade disposable cartridges I decided I wanted to go old school and try wet shaving with the DE. I picked up a Merkur "Hefty" with a long handle and a brush. I think today was my third shave. I like the experience.

A couple of questions.
1. How often do you replace the blade in your razor? I'm sure this depends on a lot of things but just trying to get a general idea. I'm thinking once a week.
2. Does anyone use and recommend using a pre-shave oil? If so is there an affordable one someone can recommend? I saw a recipe up on eHow.com that was 2 parts castor oil, one part olive oil with a few drops of essential oil of your choice. Will give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Jim

The majority of people shave with a blade 3x times and toss it.
I do use pre-shave oil sometimes, i use just olive oil it works good so im sure your recipe would work fine just make sure the essential oil you get isnt prone to irritating skin. Ulta Beauty sells pre-oil and you can test it before you buy it there. And like said before welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

I have gone back and forth on pre shave oil, lately I'm not finding it unnecessary with good preparation.

Welcome to the B&B! I tend to use a razor 3-4 times. As far as pre shave oils, I have some AOS Sandalwood, but my resulting shave seems to be the same wether or not I use the oil. Good luck! Happy to have you on board!

First, Welcome to B&B.

1. As to blades, I find that their life varies depending on the blade and for some reason the razor. For example, in my FB razor Crystals have been lasting four shaves w/o any problems. But in my Progress three is all I get.

2. There is a lot of different opinions on pre-shave oil. I am one of those individuals who uses it, particularly on my neck. I have a heavy beard that grows every which way around my neck. I usually apply a little on my neck on the first pass and before my fourth pass.

I was given a T&H gift basket about two years ago. It contained their pre-shave oil which has lasted two years. It was expensive - but lasted a long time.

The T&H sample pack contains some of this oil so you can give it a try if you buy the sample pack.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

1. 3 shaves is the general rule of thumb yes. Some blades can give you 1 shave, others 7 shaves. It all depends on your technique, lather, blade and razor. If it starts pulling or it's not smooth, change blade.

2. I don't use shaving oil, I used to. King of Shaves is supposed to be good (never tried it). I shaved using shaving oil for a while, not as fun as using lather. I realised that I didn't need and I get great shaves. If you just want to try the oil thing, anything can do if you don't mind the scent. Olive oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, etc.

Welcome to B&B!

I just used a Swedish Gillette for thirteen shaves. A Red Personna has given me eight. YMMV.

Jim,

Welcome aboard to B&B! I am new myself and found this to be an amazing forum with tons of great information. Dont be afraid to ask questions as everyone here is more than willing to asnwer. Steve

Top Bottom