What's new

another near perfect!

i used a more agressive blade thiis time. i only have irritation on my chin cause i cant quite find the right way to do it. though im beginning to think im more suited for softer blades and razors. what blades are generally mild what mild blades are out there what does mild even mean lol

The web has lots of tables ranking blades, with all sorts of data on sharpness on first use, third use etc etc. That said it didnt tell me much other than some are sharper than others eg Derby Extra is mild and Feather is the tool of a shave ninja.

I would recommend a multi pack of blades that usually have some mild, some definitely sharper etc. Then when you land on one you can work with, try the others a few months later and see if your view of them changes with better technique etc.

I'm no blade aficionado but the key improvement on avoiding soreness for me was a hot flannel and a real focus on technique (no radio playing, no distractions), rather than choice of blade. As they always say, YMMV. Good luck.

I find that Feather, BIC and KAI are the sharpest. I use many different types of blades (including these 3) but don’t use these super sharp brands in my aggressive razors. An example would be my Razorock Game Changer with a .84mm open comb Jaws plate. Not a chance I would put a Feather in that razor.

Buy a big blade sampler from Tryablade, Razorbladesclub, from Amazon, etc. and see what works best for you. Gillette and Lord are good companies to start with.

Watch your pressure on the razor as well. Use as little as possible and that should help with the irritation issues.

I would define "mild" as gives me a no-nick, no-weeper, no-irritation shave in 2 or 3 passes, when using average technique, but may not be a super close shave. I might still feel a very light stubble/roughness when done. Shaves OK even an average razor, but if you try to apply pressure to them them attempting get a BBS shave, they will irritate you. Blades that shave like this for me: Wilkinson Sword, Derby Extra, Astra Super Platinum, Dorco ST301, Treet Platinum.

Next category up I would call "smooth shavers" - These will me a smooth Damn Fine Shave in most any razor, with no irritation, but might give me a weeper or two if I am not paying attention to my technique. Some blades that shave like this for me: Gillette Platinum (in the light blue pack), Gillette Silver-Blue, Vokshod, Bolzano Superinox.

Finally the "Super Sharp" - These will give me that BBS shave we all want, but I have to use them in my more mild razors and use good technique. These are fantastic in a vintage Gillette Tech or Razorock GC .68. I can't go for a BBS too many days in a row or I start to get irritation, but it's nice to have the option occasionally. My favorite blade here is the Gillete 7 'O Clock Sharpedge in the yellow pack, which tends more toward the smooth than the sharp end of the spectrum, but other good ones I found here were the BIC chrome, Gillette Nacet, and of course the famous Feather.

Blades that didn't agree with me at all: Merkur SP, Vidyut Supermax, 7 'O Clock Platinum (black package)

Like I said in your other thread, now that you've found one combo that gives you good results, I'd stick with that for a full week just to build your technique, an then try a blade sampler pack. I got one A-Z that had 2 blades each from 15 brands, which took a while to go through.

Chins present difficulties for most shavers at one time or another.
You may try to stretch the skin of the chin by pulling mid-jaw toward the ear with your free hand.
You can also stretch the skin on the front of the chin by tucking your lower lip in.
You should then shave with a light touch, drawing the razor across the jaw to the middle of the chin.
Repeat on the other side, overlapping at the centre of the chin.
If your stubble is thick or long, you may start with a pass of down-strokes on the front of the chin, followed by a second pass as outlined above.
Make sure your DE blade is snugly installed, without any chatter.
If that doesn't solve your problem, then perhaps your blade is too sharp or your razor too aggressive.

Make sure you do a good prep
Night before a hydrating cream
Hot shower or hot towel
Maybe a pre shave soap / glycerin soap or pre shave cream.
A decent lather not to thin or thick

blades wise I would start with
Gillette silver blue, kcg, platinum, wizamet, rubie
Bear in mind some blades perform better on the second day.
not efficient enough try nacet, bic, feather, Kai. Or a more agressive razor

technique takes time.

The Astra Stainless is considered by many to be a milder blade that cuts well. I couldn’t ever get a close shave from them so I opted for the Feather blade.

One thing to keep in mind if you prefer mild blades...people's beards get coarser as they age, so eventually you might need to move to a sharper blade if you start finding that your current blades are having trouble cutting your beard. But for now, I say stick to what works for you! Just something to be mindful of down the road. (And as someone whose beard sometimes feels like it's made out of adamantium and is only going to get worse once I start going gray, I gotta say I envy you people that can get a good shave out of a mild blade.)

M

mtcn77

Blades that shave like this for me: Wilkinson Sword, Derby Extra, Astra Super Platinum, Dorco ST301, Treet Platinum.
Hi, add Rapira Swedish Steel into the mix.

I think I know what pattern they follow: they get progressively duller between each shave, in contrast to coated blades that get sharper even until the third shave.

I'm mentioning the 'refinedshave' blade list as the source material.

Good suggestion!

For me optimal shaves result from combining a ‘mild/moderate’ razor with a sharp blade! But it took a fair bit of trial and error to reach that conclusion. :a21: :a21:

Hi, add Rapira Swedish Steel into the mix.

I think I know what pattern they follow: they get progressively duller between each shave, in contrast to coated blades that get sharper even until the third shave.

I'm mentioning the 'refinedshave' blade list as the source material.

I've not tried any Rapira yet, but I have a few tucks of Rapira Platinum Lux on the way already. I expect they'll shave in the middle group but we'll see. Still trying to find a preferred blade for my Gamechanger .84...

Top Bottom