What's new

Another name that snake

Ad Astra

The Instigator
An Indigo snake would be a very cool sighting. It sure looks like one. A non-constrictor, they rarely bite and supposedly can be taught to eat non-living food.

Snakes alive: Mowing too-high grass in sandals Sunday when I felt a snake slither over my foot! :117:

Man, did I jump. Luckily just one of those common "legless lizard" snakes.

(Yeah, I know. Wear steel-toe boots when mowing. I used to.)

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Apparently there are only 34 species in TN. Only 4 that are venomous.

Texas in a nutshell

Snakes[edit]

Plains blind snake
Blind Snakes[edit]
Family Leptotyphlopidae

Colubrids[edit]

Eastern yellowbelly racer

Regal ringneck snake

Texas indigo snake

Texas rat snake

Eastern hognose snake

Texas night snake

Grey-banded kingsnake

Mexican milk snake

Western coachwhip

Diamondback water snake

Texas long-nosed snake

Texas brown snake

Red-stripe ribbon snake

Texas garter snake

Texas lyre snake
Family Colubridae

Elapids[edit]

Texas coral snake
Family Elapidae

Viperids[edit]

Western cottonmouth

Canebrake rattlesnake
Family Viperidae (vipers)

It's possible. I was looking for keeled scales; BR has weakly keeled ... photo looks smooth scales; can't be sure.

Indigo snakes don't have that much white (if any) under their chin. That's very characteristic of the black rat. I used to have an adult black ratsnake for a pet. I currently have a juvenile, but they look a lot different.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I also didn't realize the limited range of Indigos, mostly around Florida.

Eastern indigo snake - Wikipedia

Always wanted one. Beauty!

proxy.php

AA

Never liked snakes much. And when we moved up to 40 acres in Northern California when I was in high school, we were in rattlesnake heaven. Feel bad now about how many I killed, but they liked the yard and the carport and I was worried about the dogs. It’s taken most of my daughter’s 24 years to bring me around - she likes snakes as much or more than she likes dogs.

Great snake book: Mean and Lowly Things by Kate Jackson

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I wouldn’t feel bad about killing an animal on my property that was a threat to my life. Hell, I mow right over Fire Ant hills without blinking an eye. If I was in rattlesnake country and spotted them around the house I’d have a new pair of boots.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
NOT an indigo snake. That's a black rat snake.
I trust this guy. I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up. I was skeptical about it being an Indigo because they are not native around here, not even close. But ya never know.

Ya know...I thought it might be from the last time I posted a pic of one, but this one looked different and moved very snake like. I did not want to see if a little piece of his tail would break off. Thanks for the ID!

Here’s one from this morning....
20E87FD8-C37E-4AED-90E6-4061C4BFA3E6.jpeg
DD50BAED-2428-458D-B71B-7D9972DE4263.jpeg

My daughter was walking with her two toddlers on this sidewalk in a park in North Naples this morning when she was struck just above her right ankle. Had to shake him off. She called some staff over who pinned him for photos for later ID. She went to the ER, but will only take antibiotics if needed. All are in agreement that it is non venomous, but what kind of snake is it? Thanks!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Going to come down on the watersnake side.

Bottom looks like it and they can be a tad more aggressive than a rat snake.

AA

Top Bottom