What's new

Another n00b question on "shave ready"

I'm very new to this, and have not had a single SR shave. I've got two razors on the way, being honed by a member here, but this far have only shaved with a Feather or Kai AC barber razor.

So, my question is (having zero experience, and no reference SR), how much pressure is required to get a true shave ready razor to cut beard hair, as compared to my shavettes?

I've red a lot of threads where the user describes the razor "gliding" over their beard, magically and effortlessly whisking away their whiskers.

So, should I expect a completely different experience when I move from my Feather and Kai to my SR?...or will it behave the same, or even similarly?

One final admission:

I purchased a Chinese Titan razor and took a crack at sharpening it with limited resources and got it to just barely treetop some arm hair but when I took it to my face (gently and tentatively) it wouldn't shave.

Also, I rolled the dice on a vintage Boker SR on the 'bay - the seller had a substantial number of reviews, 100% positive - and that one didn't cut hair either.

So, now I'm wondering: is it me?...or just that I don't have a true shave ready SR?

I fell into the same trap. My beard is quite tough and, in some places, requires a fair bit of pressure. The key is to be pushing through the stubble, not against your face.

As a heuristic, it can be helpful for people new to the art, but it is fanciful to suggest that a straight will miraculously remove tough whiskers without any effort.

Last edited:
I fell into the same trap. My beard is quite tough and, in some places, requires a fair bit of pressure. The key is to be pushing through the stubble, not against your face.

As a heuristic, it can be helpful for people new to the art, but it is fanciful to suggest that a straight will miraculously remove tough whiskers without any effort.

Ok, so I shouldn't expect the clouds to part and hear angels singing?

Well, with the "shave ready" Boker from Ebay (and the Titan), it seemed that the razor stopped as soon as it encountered my beard.

Expecting it to "glide" thru the bramble with the lightest touch, I stopped and immediately went to my Kai razor and shaved.

I'm going to try it again today, and add a bit of pressure just to see what happens, without going too hard of course. I'm not going for the Tony Montana

I'm very new to this, and have not had a single SR shave. I've got two razors on the way, being honed by a member here, but this far have only shaved with a Feather or Kai AC barber razor.

So, my question is (having zero experience, and no reference SR), how much pressure is required to get a true shave ready razor to cut beard hair, as compared to my shavettes?

I've red a lot of threads where the user describes the razor "gliding" over their beard, magically and effortlessly whisking away their whiskers.

So, should I expect a completely different experience when I move from my Feather and Kai to my SR?...or will it behave the same, or even similarly?

One final admission:

I purchased a Chinese Titan razor and took a crack at sharpening it with limited resources and got it to just barely treetop some arm hair but when I took it to my face (gently and tentatively) it wouldn't shave.

Also, I rolled the dice on a vintage Boker SR on the 'bay - the seller had a substantial number of reviews, 100% positive - and that one didn't cut hair either.

So, now I'm wondering: is it me?...or just that I don't have a true shave ready SR?
Try using a light a touch as you can get away with which will still remove whiskers.
Obviously if no whiskers are being removed use a bit more pressure. Eventually you’ll get get a feel for how much pressure to use depending where on your face you’re shaving.

Ok, so I shouldn't expect the clouds to part and hear angels singing?
No, that comes later.

My beard is not particularly tough, so I can just basically plan to scrape the lather off of my face, and get a good shave, no pressure at all.

A well-rated ebay seller selling good razors is almost certainly not selling something you can just pick up and shave with. If it cut hair at all, that would be rare and impressive. With very few exceptions, a purchased razor is a kit, to be completed by honing.

Edit: ...whether the listing says "shave ready" or not

Quoting myself:

On eBay, "shave ready" seems to mean "yes, this is a razor."

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used a Japanese Derby Aiku straight for a couple of years and, while I may not have kept as perfect an edge as some would prefer, I could certainly get a good shave with it. It was only when I switched to a Feather AC-DX that I truly undersood the meaning of 'very light pressure'. For me, the Feather requires less pressure and more concentration, and is less forgiving than my straight razor.

I used a Japanese Derby Aiku straight for a couple of years and, while I may not have kept as perfect an edge as some would prefer, I could certainly get a good shave with it. It was only when I switched to a Feather AC-DX that I truly undersood the meaning of 'very light pressure'. For me, the Feather requires less pressure and more concentration, and is less forgiving than my straight razor.

Thanks. I was wondering how the two compared, at least other member's experience with both.

Quoting myself:

On eBay, "shave ready" seems to mean "yes, this is a razor."

I just read this thread, and noted something very interesting. I'm quoting member Slash Mcoy here:

"You could try member johnloc1 who sells on ebay as johnloc1 or maybe ebay seller april7th1089 who seems to be getting more expensive but still has a few lower priced razors. Not all of his razors are shave ready but if he says one is, then it is. You can message him and he will hone the razor you select for I think $25. Johnloc1 has better prices and is in the US. Again, make sure the razor is listed as shave ready. If he says it is, then it is."

Very interesting to me as this seller (johnloc1), by pure happenstance, is the seller I purchased my Boker from. So again, if this is true, then my razor MAY be shave ready and my expectations are incorrect. Remember, I have no reference.

I just read this thread, and noted something very interesting. I'm quoting member Slash Mcoy here:

"You could try member johnloc1 who sells on ebay as johnloc1 or maybe ebay seller april7th1089 who seems to be getting more expensive but still has a few lower priced razors. Not all of his razors are shave ready but if he says one is, then it is. You can message him and he will hone the razor you select for I think $25. Johnloc1 has better prices and is in the US. Again, make sure the razor is listed as shave ready. If he says it is, then it is."

Very interesting to me as this seller (johnloc1), by pure happenstance, is the seller I purchased my Boker from. So again, if this is true, then my razor MAY be shave ready and my expectations are incorrect. Remember, I have no reference.
I'm not going to badmouth either of those sellers; I have bought razors from each of them and to be honest, both would shave. One was better than the other, but neither was exceptional or what I would consider a "reference edge."

I'm not going to badmouth either of those sellers; I have bought razors from each of them and to be honest, both would shave. One was better than the other, but neither was exceptional or what I would consider a "reference edge."

Good to know, thank you. 🙂👍

I didn't want to mention the Ebay seller by user name either, and only did so once I noticed Slash Mcoy's post.

I would also say, if you're used to shaving with an AC blade, they glide very smoothly due to the coating and that can give you a false sense of how they actually cut. You might sense a little more resistance on a straight but find that it's actually cutting just as close and probably with less impact to the skin.

Different blade grinds will change your perception too, an AC blade is stiffer than a thin full hollow.

I think you'll like your purchase from Johnloc1. I purchased a razor from him last summer and was very happy with the edge. I was 2 or 3 months into my SR journey at the time and his edge was way better than anything I could produce at the time.

Well, with the "shave ready" Boker from Ebay (and the Titan), it seemed that the razor stopped as soon as it encountered my beard.

Expecting it to "glide" thru the bramble with the lightest touch, I stopped and immediately went to my Kai razor and shaved.

I'm going to try it again today, and add a bit of pressure just to see what happens, without going too hard of course. I'm not going for the Tony Montana

I tried again yesterday eve, on my typical 2-day beard.

Started with the Titan, applying a bit more pressure, or at least "pushing" the razor against my whiskers (WTG), and it did remove some stubble. Feeling the result, it seemed somewhat less efficient than a typical first pass that I've experienced with a DE.

I switched to the Boker (ebay) and continued on the same cheek, with a very similar result. I suppose I am/was expecting at least the same efficiency, or even a bit more than with my DE.

Next up was my Feather DX with a guarded blade, on my other cheek. In comparison, this razor seemed to cut a bit easier and a bit closer. It even picked up a bit of stubble (audibly) from the areas that I had just shaved with the two SRs, when shaving in the same dirrction.

I finished the shave with the Feather, two additional passes.

To be fair, I'm going to commit to the Boker for an entire three pass shave next time to better judge the end result.

I tried again yesterday eve, on my typical 2-day beard.

Started with the Titan, applying a bit more pressure, or at least "pushing" the razor against my whiskers (WTG), and it did remove some stubble. Feeling the result, it seemed somewhat less efficient than a typical first pass that I've experienced with a DE.

I switched to the Boker (ebay) and continued on the same cheek, with a very similar result. I suppose I am/was expecting at least the same efficiency, or even a bit more than with my DE.

Next up was my Feather DX with a guarded blade, on my other cheek. In comparison, this razor seemed to cut a bit easier and a bit closer. It even picked up a bit of stubble (audibly) from the areas that I had just shaved with the two SRs, when shaving in the same dirrction.

I finished the shave with the Feather, two additional passes.

To be fair, I'm going to commit to the Boker for an entire three pass shave next time to better judge the end result.
My gut feel is telling me that you have not yet experienced a proper SR edge. I'll be interested to hear your experiences with the razors you're having honed by a member here.

It sounds to me like the two straight razors you have are not sharp enough.

When I use a Feather blade, it feels really sharp, but that's also partially due to the PTFE coating on the edge. When it's paired with a more efficient razor (for example Timeless 0.95 SS), it cuts though fairly easily, but I have to do few passes to clean everything. Now, when I put a new Feather blade in a Timeless 0.68 SS (or a Muhle R89), it slides over more than cutting, so I end up doing twice as many passes to clean everything. When I am done, a Timeless 0.95 SS paired with a Feather blade will give me a decent silky feel, but a Timeless 0.68/Muhle R89 will not as I still feel a lot of stubble left on my face.

In comparison, a properly honed straight razor will have a bit of feedback (I have to apply a bit of force to cut though if the blade is light) but only on the chin where my hair is coarse. Other areas of the face are effortless, with heavy blades I have to take out some of their own weight. After I completed 2 or 3 passes, my face is smooth, smoother than what a Timeless 0.95 SS + Feather blade can achive in 3-4 passes. 1-2 straight razor passes will leave me the same feeling as a Timeless 0.68 (/Muhle R89) with a Feather blade after 3-4 passes.

Another small remark, when I started using a straight razor, I had the same problem as you do, I was somehow disappointed because the blade was not up to a DE blade and I would feel the difference especially around the chin. I got over this only after I tried to hone the razors myself, but that took me a few days until I managed to get to the point where I was happy with.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the two straight razors you have are not sharp enough.

When I use a Feather blade, it feels really sharp, but that's also partially due to the PTFE coating on the edge. When it's paired with a more efficient razor (for example Timeless 0.95 SS), it cuts though fairly easily, but I have to do few passes to clean everything. Now, when I put a new Feather blade in a Timeless 0.68 SS (or a Muhle R89), it slides over more than cutting, so I end up doing twice as many passes to clean everything. When I am done, a Timeless 0.95 SS paired with a Feather blade will give me a decent silky feel, but a Timeless 0.68/Muhle R89 will not as I still feel a lot of stubble left on my face.

In comparison, a properly honed straight razor will have a bit of feedback (I have to apply a bit of force to cut though if the blade is light) but only on the chin where my hair is coarse. Other areas of the face are effortless, with heavy blades I have to take out some of their own weight. After I completed 2 or 3 passes, my face is smooth, smoother than what a Timeless 0.95 SS + Feather blade can achive in 3-4 passes. 1-2 straight razor passes will leave me the same feeling as a Timeless 0.68 (/Muhle R89) with a Feather blade after 3-4 passes.

Another small remark, when I started using a straight razor, I had the same problem as you do, I was somehow disappointed because the blade was not up to a DE blade and I would feel the difference especially around the chin. I got over this only after I tried to hone the razors myself, but that took me a few days until I managed to get to the point where I was happy with.

Just to be clear:

I'm comparing the two straight razors to this Feather with an Artist Club blade, not a DE.

20230411_165706.jpg

Top Bottom